brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In regards to this side of the Finish board:

On the left side, if you are in the plain water hex (bordering the reed, the rock, and the waterfall), are you allowed to play a Basic swim right and a Basic Swim forward to end the race? This would put you on the table above the waterfall hex you just jumped. Is this considered part of the Spawning Pond?

Or would you have to play two basic Right to get there from this position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

On the left side, if you are in the plain water hex (bordering the reed, the rock, and the waterfall), are you allowed to play a Basic swim right and a Basic Swim forward to end the race? This would put you on the table above the waterfall hex you just jumped. Is this considered part of the Spawning Pond?

We've been playing it as having to land right on the spawning pond area. So you would need two rights.

Would be interesting if anything past the top hexes is considered the spawning pond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And another map clarification. This situation happens a few times but is built in this instance with 1M and 2E. Are the two Reed hexes adjacent? Or does the rock image separate them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
And another map clarification. This situation happens a few times but is built in this instance with 1M and 2E. Are the two Reed hexes adjacent? Or does the rock image separate them?

Based on the difference of the line color between the two spaces, it seems like they wouldn't be considered adjacent as they aren't passible. That's just my opinion though. It would be great to know the true ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rock...you can't go thru rock last I checked I'd also expect a current arrow between the two if they were connected. The fact that it is becalmed would seem to imply they aren't connected.

I'd also agree with Andres regarding your first question...it seems reasonable that you would have to land on the board/map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The lines are white. And current arrows aren't necessary to establish adjaceny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I don't have the board in front of me right now, but using the photo you provided, the line over the rock seems gray and different. It's not as thick as the regular non passible lines, but it seems to appear to be more like them then the regular white lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wgerken wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I don't have the board in front of me right now, but using the photo you provided, the line over the rock seems gray and different. It's not as thick as the regular non passible lines, but it seems to appear to be more like them then the regular white lines.

It's white. It us just the way the board is cut that it looks more narrow. Ignoring the artwork underneath, it is two fully white adjacent hexes. The question is if the artwork (though not defined in the rulebook) has an effect on game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
wgerken wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

It's white. It us just the way the board is cut that it looks more narrow. Ignoring the artwork underneath, it is two fully white adjacent hexes. The question is if the artwork (though not defined in the rulebook) has an effect on game play.

In my opinion, the artwork is inconsequential (albeit attractive ). If there isn't a grey or blue line around the hex, then it's not an obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HokieGeek wrote:
In my opinion, the artwork is inconsequential (albeit attractive ). If there isn't a grey or blue line around the hex, then it's not an obstacle.

I agree, its not an obstacle if there isn't a grey and blue line around the hex. It's 2 white hexes touching each other so it's valid to move from one to the other.

You can create the same situation with 2E and 5H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
farsidehobbes wrote:
HokieGeek wrote:

I agree, its not an obstacle if there isn't a grey and blue line around the hex. It's 2 white hexes touching each other so it's valid to move from one to the other.

You can create the same situation with 2E and 5H.

That was my thought as well and how we ruled it. However, I thought it best to get official clarification.

As I mentioned, it comes up in a quite a few instances but this was the first I came to where it was easy to just describe it as the "two reed hexes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Something in the rules that stated something along these lines : A valid swim move is one that moves you from one white-bordered hex to another white-bordered hex, jumping notwithstanding. Would have cleared a few things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
farsidehobbes wrote:
Something in the rules that stated something along these lines : A valid swim move is one that moves you from one white-bordered hex to another white-bordered hex, jumping notwithstanding. Would have cleared a few things up.

I am not sure if these rules were posted on the KS page but it would have been nice to give some feedback before they published. Most of my questions came up just from the first read through and the rest are now coming up from seeing how the board is put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

They are not adjacent. This occurs as the result of making the art of the shoreline look seamless in the modular board system. I wanted a gray line to be added to denote this but others thought it wasn't necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drktron wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

They are not adjacent. This occurs as the result of making the art of the shoreline look seamless in the modular board system. I wanted a gray line to be added to denote this but others thought it wasn't necessary.

Well that's very interesting!

So, to be as explicit as possible: You cannot play a swim forward to move from the bottom reed hex to the one above it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HokieGeek wrote:
drktron wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Well that's very interesting!

So, to be as explicit as possible: You cannot play a swim forward to move from the bottom reed hex to the one above it?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
drktron wrote:
I wanted a gray line to be added to denote this but others thought it wasn't necessary.

Unfortunately, the gray line is necessary if that was your intent. Should have stuck your guns on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Bumping the original question since only the last one got answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Bumping the original question since only the last one got answered.

Played for the first time tonight and this issue came up in our game. Any official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He answered it in another post yesterday: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12248425#12248425

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I missed that last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.