GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,471 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Monolith: The Strategy Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Monolith review: An excellent worker placement filler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Aimone
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only recently started getting into "filler" games. Typically, I have always just played multiple long games and didn't really feel the need for quicker/lighter games to either start the night off, break up the more time consuming games, or use up the last half hour before people leave. While I enjoy filler games for their, typically, short game time and easy to teach rules, I rarely find that they leave me wanting to skip heavier games and play more of the lighter ones. Monolith may be the exception to this.

I hesitate to even call Monolith a "filler" game since I don't want it to be saddled with any negative connotations. It is, however, A) quick and B) easy to teach...but what is behind that is a deep worker placement game filled with strategy and a ton of replayability.

The game is the perfect game to play if you have a group that enjoys worker placement games and you'd like a quicker game that people can pick up easily.

My only complaint about the game is that there are a few questions that have come up, that I don't see addressed in the rulebook. Hopefully, we can get a more robust FAQ than the short one that is found towards the end of the rules.

Overall, I have found Monolith to be the perfect light, yet deep game, which is the best way I can describe it. With the amount of variance you can have in each game (both because of the different Rune cards that make up the "board" as well as options to add to the game, like Starting Player Powers or the Expanded Rounds) I think this is a game I will keep coming back to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
they are working on a FAQ as we speak. but folks should know that the Rulebook is well done, there are just a few nigglers that need answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.