Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the game board is being resigned to accommodate the Rocket dice, what do you guys and gals think of them?

Poll
What are your thoughts on the rocket dice?
I think they are awesome
I could go either way
I think they are horrible
I prefer regular D6
      303 answers
Poll created by LunarSoundDesign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look kind of neat, but I'd prefer the regular D6 dice for the game. I can see the rocket dice being a bit harder to roll and they almost need that new board to place them properly. They're thematic, but I just couldn't justify the purchase for what is pretty much a novelty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new board coming out, the 4th printing board will be two sided

Side A

Side B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are awesome, but can't justify the $ required to replace them all, including Factions and Outer Belt. Also not such a fan of the new board, seems more cluttered or something. I am planning on just getting a single frosted to use as the relic ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said 'I could go either way' but my vote is basically 'I don't want to pay $35 for them'. They're kind of cool but not really worth it to me, and could be annoying (my husband doesn't like barrel dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexiscarlough wrote:
I said 'I could go either way' but my vote is basically 'I don't want to pay $35 for them'. They're kind of cool but not really worth it to me, and could be annoying (my husband doesn't like barrel dice)

I'm worried they will roll weird or get knocked around if you bump the table. I want to get AF with the current kickstarter but I can't decide about the dice. Since the board comes two sided maybe I will just grab two sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got all the upgraded components for Alien Frontiers, and now I wish I just kept using the originals.

The bling took away from this game for me. I'll stick with the old M&M's.

Plus, the original Dice were perfect. Awesome for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them and the upgraded components. I just got to play alien frontiers for the first time a few weeks ago, and I loved it. So I jumped fully in at $128

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mannie Germain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice themselves are cool but I assume they wouldn't make a bad game any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManuMan wrote:
The dice themselves are cool but I assume they wouldn't make a bad game any better.

Thanks that's productive. I love the game but wonder what fans of it think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mannie Germain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ManuMan wrote:

No need to get defensive. If you like the game, that's cool, but you asked what people thought of the dice. If you only want fan input, you should edit the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManuMan wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ManuMan wrote:

No need to get defensive. If you like the game, that's cool, but you asked what people thought of the dice. If you only want fan input, you should edit the question.

Is that really necessary, I mean I did post in the Alien Frontier forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I voted that they were horrible, but almost picked the "I prefer the D6." I find the look of the board re-design very messy since they seemed to have shoehorned the "rocket die spaces" into the available space.

I guess I prefer an esthetic that is cleaner and more minimalist. I also prefer the Skittles pieces to the upgraded colony bits (they look like they came out of a gumball machine.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WiltChamberlain wrote:

I voted that they were horrible, but almost picked the "I prefer the D6." I find the look of the board re-design very messy since they seemed to have shoehorned the "rocket die spaces" into the available space.

I guess I prefer an esthetic that is cleaner and more minimalist. I also prefer the Skittles pieces to the upgraded colony bits (they look like they came out of a gumball machine.)

I did message David via kickstarter and he said the board design is not final and it would go to a professional designer after the campaign. So there is hope it will be cleaned up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
WiltChamberlain wrote:

I did message David via kickstarter and he said the board design is not final and it would go to a professional designer after the campaign. So there is hope it will be cleaned up.
'

I'm picturing the rocket dice sitting all over it and think it would look gaudy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "I perfer regular d6" however...I do think the new board design loses something that the original board design has. I can't put my finger on it...but I feel it isn't as streamlined since the new rocket dice take up more space.

If I did want to pimp my older version of the game, I'd probably only change out the relic ship with one of the new frosted rocket die. It's supposed to be an "alien" ship and the fact that rolling it would be even a tiny bit different with the rocket shape compared to the normal cube shaped D6 may add just a "little" more theme to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, when I have seen the KS for the rocket dice - i thought - ok, fine, but they do not fit to the board, where regular dice are placed. Also, i thought that it might be bit too much just for a set of dice - even if i want to pimp my boardgame. When new board has been presented - it was a very clever move. Still - I am not the target - i prefer regular dice that were given with the standard game.
Campaign is definitely good one - as long as it keeps an interest in the boardgame - however I am more looking forward for additional fraction expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the original dice.

Also, I have doubts as to the durability of the tail fins.

ADDED:

The ships are kind of cool, though. I could see using something like that as actual ships in a combat game with the face up side denoting damage of some other status. Similar to the way Wizkids' clicky bases work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely pass up on the rocket dice.

I'm still unsure about the updated "standard" d6 board though, as far as I can see, the only change is the addition of a logo for each station to match Factions, is that it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw this game, and I learned that the dice are your spaceships, I was kinda turned off. The idea was not appealing.

Then a friend introduced the game to me and assured me it was a totally fantastic game - he was right. Now I am sold on the idea of the dice being ships because they fit the game play so well.

Now these rocket dice seem to overcome my initial disregard of the game - they look like ships. So I should be excited about them, right?

So why do I feel that they would be horrible to roll? Why don't I like the board redesign? Maybe it's because I was convinced that the D6 components work so very well that it doesn't need this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely didn't like the look of the rocket dice at all; d6's are fine by me, but I think the new ones are horrible. I just wish there was a vote on how silly it is to redesign the board (even the back side) to conform to an optional 'upgrade' that would never actually work. Seems a bit backwards to me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
I definitely didn't like the look of the rocket dice at all; d6's are fine by me, but I think the new ones are horrible. I just wish there was a vote on how silly it is to redesign the board (even the back side) to conform to an optional 'upgrade' that would never actually work. Seems a bit backwards to me....

Change for the sake of change is rarely a good idea.

Maybe they thought they'd sell a lot more to 'completists'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred MacKenzie
United States
Florence
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:

Or maybe they just thought it was a fun, thematic idea that some people would be interested in. And judging by the funding, they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
I like it and I backed it. I also asked for the double sided board. I like the idea of saying "these dice are ships" when explaining the game and having them actually look like ships. I understand, not everyone's cup of tea, but I like this pimp for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMG2 wrote:
RogMcK wrote:

Or maybe they just thought it was a fun, thematic idea that some people would be interested in. And judging by the funding, they are.

I think gamers ought to realize that game companies care about making money, not 'fun'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.