Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Race to Adventure: The Spirit of the Century Exploration Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starblazer re-theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starblazer is the other FATE campaign I'm in regularly, so I was wondering how you'd re-theme this game.

My current ideas are that - rather than travel being the purpose of the game (as befits the pulp era) - thwarting bad guys (usually aliens) seems to be more in keeping with the comics and the RPG.

As there is no continuity in most of the comics - there's no reason to have continuity in the location cards, we could have earth invaded multiple times, for example.

It would be more combat-oriented, so an expansion like Dinocopalypse would be more akin to an alien invasion - you could have death or wounding mechanics, and require return to base or clones or whatnot.

Item cards I'd mostly modify. Similar in balance, but different in application.
Biplane = Ancient Ship = Better movement, and movement for every other player. Only item that isn't a mission objective
Jet Pack = [technobable] Engine = Different movement, single use, mission objective for 1 location
Lightning Gun = [technobable/particle name] Gun = instant violent mission objective (one of the most sought after cards in the game in my experience)
Map = Brain Bot/[technobable] Tool = trigger for the use of non-violent mission objectives
Magnifying Glass = Scanner/Base Command = gradual accumulation of non-violent mission objectives
Zeppelin = [technobable] Artifact = Different movement for 1 location, more useful in shadow and a mission objective in shadow.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.