Popular Tags: [View All]
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (10) and I have enjoyed playing Sentinels of the Multiverse together. It's one of the only games we've played together that he has liked, so we stick with what works!

Recently I bought a bunch of the promo card sets so this afternoon when mom and the other kids were out he and I broke out the game. The villain was Ambuscade and the environment was the Final Wasteland. He really wanted to try the Argent Adept despite my caution that it might be frustrating. But he clicked with the character since he is also musical and also a red-head. I played the Scholar who I had never tried, and also I threw in Haka in case we needed some good old fashioned damage dealt.

Ambuscade started off with his explosive launcher and automated turret and laid about 10 dmg on Haka. The Scholar went next and played 'Mortal Form to Energy' so when he heals he deals the damage he heals to another target. Haka dropped Ta Moko to reduce incoming damage by 1 and Argent Adept played Rhapsody of Vigor which heals 1 on all heroes. The Final Wasteland offered up a Skunk Ape then Ambuscade pulled out some Reactive Plating to reduce his damage taken and also reflect some whenever he is hit. The Scholar played 'Get Out of the Way!' dealing 1 damage to all non-hero targets then healing an amount equal to the number of targets hit - which he could then turn around and inflict as damage thanks to 'Mortal Form to Energy'! Very neat combo.

Haka began everyone's favorite battle ritual, Taiaha! and started shelling out the damage. Over the next few rounds the Argent Adept played a couple more instruments and kept the healing coming. The Final Wasteland produced a couple more low hp creatures and an Ancient Library.

Ambuscade played a couple of traps and got his personal firearm a couple of times. The Scholar reminded everyone 'Don't Dismiss Anything' allowing each hero to put the top card of their deck into play. Haka went into a blind Rampage wiping out the weaker creatures of the wasteland and all of Ambuscade's devices, dealing 6 to the main villain (and hitting his allies for 2). The Argent Adept now had two Rhapsody of Vigors in play and with Drake's Pipes he could use them both, healing everyone for 2 per turn.

Ambuscade desperately pulled out another Reactive Shield but it would all be in vain. If there is anyone that 'Knows When To Turn Loose' it's the Dude Scholar, and he did just that - discarding his entire hand of 13 cards to do 12 dmg and bring Ambuscade to his knees. Haka finished the battle with one last Taiaha and that was that. The heroes win!

My son really enjoyed the Argent Adept and didn't have any problems with the complexity of the character. His healing and support were a big reason the fight went so smoothly, and I was impressed that he used his Arcane Cadence one-shot to distribute his top 5 deck cards to play, hand, deck, deck bottom and trash. Ambuscade didn't seem like that tough of a villain but he also never got his cloaking device or sonic mines that could have bought him some time. The Final Wasteland also didn't pose that much of a threat -- whatever baddies came crawling out were easily handled by Haka's Rampages. None of the heroes were in any danger of being KO'ed.

I think the Scholar is my new favorite character, I really enjoyed him a lot and thought all the cards I was drawing were really strong. 'Don't Dismiss Anything' is amazing - each player can just play the top card of their deck. And of course you can't help but enjoy the image of the Dude himself as the master of the elements.

Overall, lots of fun (as always - it's hard to go wrong with Sentinels). I will use the Final Wasteland in the future as the environment when facing a particularly nasty villain just to give us a bit of a break. And probably use Ambuscade in rotation with the Baron when playing smaller games or with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Ambuscade isn't really too difficult of a Villain, though he can get pretty nasty if he gets some of his more nasty cards.

Final Wasteland isn't too bad against villains with minions as it tends to hit them more than the heroes. Also Akash'Bhuta is a nightmare there. It is one of my more favorite environments to play on.

One thing, it may have been something you didn't mention but just incase, when Argent Adept was healing the heroes, more precise Scholar, were you dealing damage since Mortal Form to Energy was in play? As that is one of the neatest things about him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was definitely using that each turn to plink away at Ambuscade; that was some nice little extra consistent damage. I also liked combining it with 'Transmutive Recovery' that lets the Scholar draw 2 cards and heal 2 hp (and thus deal 2 damage).

Maybe we'll fight the advanced version of Ambuscade next time to give Haka a worthy adversary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.