United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in solitaire games with the following criteria:

CRITERIA:
1) MUST be soloable
2) MUST have a progressive campaign where the outcome does matter from scenario to scenario.

Games I'm interested are Hornet Leader and Descent where you play several missions in a campaign and where your group either progress in power/skills or wither and die in a mission.

I'm not interested in solitaire games where you play a scenario and when you go to the next scenario you start fresh, and there are no consequences for performing good/bad in a particular scenario (games such as Arkham Horror/Flash Point/Pandemic).

I just love the idea of getting a group of heroes/pilots and see them progress through the campaign or suffer casualties along the campaign.

Unfortunately, BGG does not have such a category (I don't know how difficult it would be to implement). I was looking through the Solitaire games category but it's difficult to tell which ones have "progressive" campaigns.

I don't care what theme it is or if it's OOP. (Space, Fantasy, Horror, Wargames (miniatures or hex & counter are all more than welcome).

Any help will be deeply appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Fire

This game fits all of the criteria you are asking for. I own the Hornet Leader and I can account for it being a great game. I'm just learning FoF and the level of detail is much higher than HL.

The campaign aspect is live in well in FoF on a bigger scale than in HL from what I can see.

edit: expanded answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Ambush! is the star which jumps to mind.

Not only soloable, but designed for solo.

Not sure what "MUST be soloable" means, because it sounds
in your post you want solo rules rather than merely a game
(and most fit into this) which could be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The object of B-17: Queen of the Skies is to get your plane/crew through 25 missions and earn that ticket home. I have yet to get even close after 75+ plays. There is a BGG Play By Forum group that shares their successes and miseries with others in the group.

Same idea with Patton's Best only it's an M4 Sherman tank and crew with the 4th Armored Division that you are trying to get from post-D-Day to the end of the war (there's a campaign calendar for determining when you fight and whether it's a defensive or offensive battle).

I'm pretty sure Ambush! follows a squad of G.I.s from one scenario to the next, through several additional modules as well, and you have to deal with the casualties as they try to make it from one game to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Enrico, Ambush! stands out. I played, using the names of friends for my squad and seeing some guys advance in skill was great, while having one killed was a major blow! It really makes you care about each and every soldier and think beyond "this battle" and the need to accomplish your mission, yet keep your guys alive for future battles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
I'm interested in solitaire games with the following criteria:

CRITERIA:
1) MUST be soloable
2) MUST have a progressive campaign where the outcome does matter from scenario to scenario.

1) It's a good bet that any solitaire game will be soloable.
2) I'll go along with those who recommend Ambush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Already some great suggestions. Here are a few others that meet your criteria:

You probably know about Thunderbolt Apache Leader since you're familiar with Hornet Leader. If you're not, check it out as well as the other games in the Leader Series.

I've played B-17: Queen of the Skies and enjoyed it. If the Pacific theater is more interesting to you, check into B-29 Superfortress.

I haven't played Space Infantry yet. I'm waiting for Lock n Load to get the expansion, Space Infantry: New Worlds, printed so they can send me both at once. I can't vouch for it, but it does have a campaign system and is designed for solitaire play. Also, the designer is very good about interacting with the players and introducing new material.

Nuklear Winter '68 can be played solitaire very easily due to its chit draw activation system. It's the only way I play. It has a built in campaign system wherein losses sustained during a battle will affect the availability of units in subsequent battles.

1st edit

I should have added All Things Zombie: The Boardgame which has wargame mechanics implemented at the man to man (to zombie) level. Unique in that it is as easily a solitaire system with women (and some men) versus zombies as it is a player versus player game as well as a cooperative game. With the activation system, solitaire is probably the most fun way to play. The campaign system takes place over six scenarios and your success (or failure) strongly impacts the subsequent scenarios in the form of survivors, weapons, items, and glory points (cash) that you have available. Do well and you'll have more fodder who are healthier and well equipped. Do poorly and you'll continue to struggle.

My complaint with this game is that the campaign system seems slapped on the scenarios without the development it deserves. I say this as it becomes apparent after multiple plays. This game deserves a more highly developed campaign system. Easy to modify though, if you like. ATZ is not my favorite game on this list, but it is very unique and at least worthy of further research and consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the Field Commander Series meets your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't find Ambush!, then Battle Hymn is a fine second choice, same system in the Pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Garfink wrote:
If you can't find Ambush!, then Battle Hymn is a fine second choice, same system in the Pacific.

Usually harder to find at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

If B-17 or B-29 seem okay but submarines would definitely spark interest, then keep an eye out for The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43.

GMT should be releasing it in June but it could be pre-ordered any time prior to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
You will grow to love your Ambush soldiers and actually worry that they aren't going to make it. Dragging that incapacitated soldier off the map in hopes that you can save him is a harrowing experience. Each die roll carries the possibility that he won't make it, and you'll wonder what you could have done differently to avoid his grim fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jonnylawless wrote:
You will grow to love your Ambush soldiers and actually worry that they aren't going to make it.

I never had that worry. Pretty much knew I'd be leaving half
my squad dead - if I was lucky. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogCBrand wrote:
I agree with Enrico, Ambush! stands out. I played, using the names of friends for my squad and seeing some guys advance in skill was great, while having one killed was a major blow! It really makes you care about each and every soldier and think beyond "this battle" and the need to accomplish your mission, yet keep your guys alive for future battles!

The only house rule I have added to Ambush! (and Battle Hymn) is that if none of my soldiers make it home alive after a mission that campaign is over and I have to start over. I would not roll up 8 new replacements to go on a new mission.

I was working on a similar type of solitaire game a few years ago and as far as we got with that system I had already made sure to make that part of the game rules for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your replies. By soloable I meant that the game is either designed for solo play or can be played solo as well (The Leader series are designed for solo play, while something like Arkham Horror can be played solo as well as with other players, unfortunately it doesn't have a campaign mode).

Definitively looking at the Fields of Fire series, and just got great news from Dan Verssen that they're working on a WW2 for both the Hornet as well as the Apache series, which is fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jcikal wrote:
Thanks all for your replies. By soloable I meant that the game is either designed for solo play or can be played solo as well ....

Ok...damned near every game ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
jcikal wrote:
Thanks all for your replies. By soloable I meant that the game is either designed for solo play or can be played solo as well ....

But very few games have campaign systems, and probably most of them are real solitaire games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
Definitively looking at the Fields of Fire series, and just got great news from Dan Verssen that they're working on a WW2 for both the Hornet as well as the Apache series, which is fantastic!

WTF, really? Dammit, just when I was happy with TAL and thought I'd never need another Leader game

The Field Commander Series is another good suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pelni wrote:
calandale wrote:
jcikal wrote:

But very few games have campaign systems, and probably most of them are real solitaire games anyway.

I'm wracking my brain for that kind of campaign system.

Some air games (Blue Max for example) do - but they're not
solo playable. Richthofen's War is and does though.

We used to do Car Wars with campaign rules. SFB too, though
not character based. I'm sure there are similar campaigns
for the PanzerBlitz series. Red Barricades: ASL Historical Module 1 played out
like a campaign of scenarios (sorta), but it's all on one
big map. Embrace An Angry Wind moves forces from one battle to another
in a campaign-like design. Minis gamers often do this too - a big
campaign with multiple battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Garwood
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished Mission 2 in my first ever Ambush! campaign. in mission one i managed to save all of my incapacitated soldiers.

in mission 2 i lost my first! he was my scout, a high perception, high movement sgt! he stumbled apon an LMG a mere 2 hex's away and was killed instantly! i was so bummed out i had to stop playing for about a half hour.

if you like stories like that, you'll like Ambush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAMES I'M INTERESTED IN:
By progressive campaign I mean something similar to Ambush! where you have a group of men go through several missions where some of them will either upgrade their skills, some will get wounded and may have to miss a mission or two to recuperate, and some may even die. You progress with the same crew from mission to mission until the end of the campaign (or as far as you were able to get if they all perished).

The Leader series by DVG have this implemented in them as so does Ambush (and the example described above by Louis is a perfect example of what I'd be looking for), and that's the kind of campaign I'm looking for. It does seem that Fields of Fire for what little I've read has this as well (Will read the rules to find out).

GAMES I'M NOT LOOKING FOR:
Games that can be played solitaire and may have a campaign with several missions (like using the Memoir campaign book or Combat Commander) but on each mission, you start fresh, and it doesn't matter if a soldier is wounded or dies in battle, as you start with a fresh group of soldiers anyway.

Needless to say, I'm very upbeat about the upcoming WW2 Hornet & Apache games coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogCBrand wrote:

I love this idea. I can't use it in TAL because the pilots already have names, but I have FoF preordered and that sounds like it'd work great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
The World at War Series just introduced a linked, progressive campaign with World at War: Counterattack.

Since it is a chit draw - it plays very well solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Field Commander Series, at least the Alexander one, can be played in this fashion. You get to keep certain "achievements" from a previous scenario as you move your "Alex" from Chaeronea to India.
Napoleon might be like that as well, but you might want to check out the rules for that first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
The object of B-17: Queen of the Skies is to get your plane/crew through 25 missions and earn that ticket home. I have yet to get even close after 75+ plays. There is a BGG Play By Forum group that shares their successes and miseries with others in the group.

Best I have ever done is 16 missions. Haven't been close since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.