Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arbitrary Ranger
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

Needless to say I've just received my "Guilds of Cadwallon" Board Game in the mail on Saturday (pleasantly surprising me). I've played it twice this weekend, and although it's still fresh out of the packaging, I'd thought I'd share my thoughts and journey with you.

First of all, it's been about 8 months now that I've really jumped into the board gaming hobby. Ok, sure, I've played 'Settlers of Catan' with a few mates back in the day - and I've had my fair share of Parker Brothers and Hasbro; actually almost too much. I've dismissed board games most of my life because of mostly the lovely mechanic of 'roll and move'. (It's probably why I'm so reserved about playing games with dice). It hasn't been until this past fall that I've stumbled upon "Tabletop" on YouTube that it has begun changing my perception of Board Gaming and the Hobby in general.

I've started adventuring on BGG and Kickstarter pretty regularly now, investigating and researching potential candidates for games that I'd like to play with my family.

This is where "Guilds of Cadwallon" comes into the picture. I saw it and watched the gameplay video and thought that this would be a pretty good run to finally pull the trigger on Kickstarter, especially the initial price point of $25 for a hard copy of the game. So I backed.

Long story short, by the end of the campaign I had increased my pledge enough to include the larger box, game board, and two additional sets of tokens (just in case I were to ever have a larger game). Pretty pleased with myself, I started staying updated periodically and even checked out other Kickstarters by 'Cool Mini or Not' just to see if they peaked my interest. (Kind of, but not really).

Since then I've been slowly building my collection with other staples such as 'Ticket to Ride', 'Carcassonne', 'Love Letter', and even pre-ordered some other games such as 'Terra Mystica', 'Quarantine', and 'Letters from Whitechapel'. Essentially, my tastes have been growing since that initial push of the button back in the Fall of '012

Fast Forward to this weekend: Pulling the game out of the box and inspecting all of the components I was delighted to finally have it in my hands. Knowing that this was going to be a 'lighter' game, my hopes weren't really set too high when getting the game ready for it's first run through.

Components: The miniatures seemed fairly well made and durable, no flashing and enough detail for the size and budget they probably had machined from in China. The cards were pretty flimsy as I was expecting heavier card stock, but none-the-less it is probably beneficial, especially when attempting to shuffle that many cards. The game board was nice; pretty typical in comparison to other games.

Rules explanation to my wife: My wife is incredibly intelligent and can generally pick up on the simpler mechanics pretty quickly; granted walking through 'Merchants of Venus' and even 'Munchkin' took her a while until we were knee-deep in those games. I figured this was not a difficult game to explain, especially since this game is light-years in simplicity to some of the other games we've played. It did take her a while to pick up on how to pick up cards, and score them at the end of the game. (We did leave out the contract cards, and other optional rules that you can play the game with). This first game is always the most frustrating. The rulebook is neatly printed and explained well, with some decent pictures, however there were a few complaints I'll discuss later about it.

Experience: First game, I ended up winning; mostly due to the fact that I had the better grasp on the rules. It lasted probably 30 minutes? I wasn't keeping track, and all I knew was we didn't play through all of the cards before scoring. The second game, we included my 4 year old daughter, and remarkably she did very well. My wife and I were both impressed with her ability to simply place the minis on the board in a coherent spot (a few times she blocked me unexpectedly, but I was excited for her). She did pretty well, and my wife won that particular game to the cheering of my daughter mocking me from across the table. I'm so proud.

Complaints: I consider myself an optimist so I'll start out with any lower reactions I had to the game first, so I can end on a positive note for all of those suffering this far. Surprisingly there is a lot wrong with this game. First of all, there's a lot; a lot of spelling errors on the cards, rulebook, etc. It did make it difficult to read and follow some of the action cards because it said "his" and not "this". Minor errors I would have expected any read through would have caught. Granted I could see a rush job on it, just to get it out to print to meet any deadlines they set for themselves over the Kickstarter campaign. Second: The artwork - although interesting - tends too be to much. I would have found a much more contrasting, graphical, minimalistic art to provide a better experience. The character art on each card blends into the background and it is hard to distinguish what is going on in the card. The 'Militia' have black coins on them that will eventually score negatively at the end of the game if picked up. The first game, I picked up a Militia card and didn't realize that it had 2 coins on it rather than the average single coin until the end of the game in the scoring phase (and the card was sitting right in front of me). The art for the game board does it's fair share to make it difficult to really see the cards once everything is placed out. Even the size of the font on the cards is ridiculously small, and difficult to read without picking up the cards off of the board, which at that point may require a moving of some tokens, etc.

Positive: It is a decent game for what it is - a simpler, fast filler that is not meant to be taken too seriously. Even with all the critiques it still was an interesting game to play in between commercials and held our attention long enough to get some enjoyment out of. As my first Kickstarter backed Board Game - I felt this was a lesson learned in terms of what I can now take to other projects I may be ready to help fund, in terms of expectations for this type of game.

Summary: This game did feel a lot like an overly glorified game of "Tic-Tac-Toe", granted it has more depth than that, but when it all boils down to it, is it worth the $50 spent on it? No. Does it live up to the $20-$25 price range typically found for filler games? Maybe to probably not still. I'd probably want to throw money at "Pandemic" instead of this. I'd probably say that if you can get a group together for bantering and smack-talk, this game will probably be more entertaining, especially in between other games that may hold more value, and that's exactly what this game was designed to do. I'm planning on playing more of it, but can't really get behind this and say "All right! Good investment on my end!" I don't want to sound disrespectful to the designers and game company, but during both plays I couldn't shake the idea of somebody at "Cool Mini or Not" coming up with a very watered down version of this mechanic and somebody higher up said, "Great, lets throw on a theme we already have from a previous game we've already made to keep the cost down, add a bunch of stretch goals to inflate the price and get this out to all our fans." (I'm not saying it went down like that, but I've seen some movies before, just saying). It did get my entire family to play so that has it going for it that 99% of all other games aren't doing currently - I wonder if a group of 4 year olds could play this? Take it or leave it.

***Disclaimer: I'll probably re-edit this after more plays with other personalities, but thanks for reading!***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I have to disagree on a couple of things. First, the artwork is great. Being new to gaming you are probably not familiar with Cadwallon or Aarklash. There is a whole lot of background to the artwork from games like Confrontation that I think makes one appreciate the characters and background on the cards. Certainly not your fault, you just are not a fanboy of some of the older games. I love the world of Aarklash, so it is easy for me to find enjoyment from the setting. I also thought the rules were just fine and had no issues. The more games you play and the more rulebooks you read they become easier and easier to understand.

Please do not think I am being negative, I am just trying to offer a more positive perspective. They actually did a really good job with the components and really awarded the Kickstarters with all the extras. Did you realize that the extra cards for the guilds are different? The base set has 4 guilds and the extras have four more which I thought was really awesome since they aren't just duplicates. Same way with the personalities they added and the extra militia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As to the cards: If you are a card sleever, Fantasy Flight has a size that fits these well. The package is blue.

As to it being a bit of tic-tac-toe, you're somewhat right, but rope together an eight player game, and I think you'll feel differently. There's much to be said for the focused collection of guilds vs. just getting what you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is definitely a tactical game... not much long term strategy which is probably good for new players or people who never have their head in the game. I also think it is another good one to get my kids thinking about more than one way to achieve something in a game and recognizing their best move versus an opponents best move. Do they take their own best move or block their opponent's best move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the card sleeves. I was curious if there were any sleeves that would fit!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Review of your introduction to Gaming ,it's always
interesting to see how people get sucked into our Hobby devil

Guilds was also my first KS backing ( I still feel guilty for some
reason ninja ) But I have all the Cadwallon Games so it was
rather a must buy.The $25 price point was a deal seller for me,
of course at the end I opted for the Board & box

The Art work,although it has no Game function,is Cadwallon
without it you lose a sense of Theme.Yes the Game is a mechanic
first & the Theme later but the Art & minatures do give it
the illusion of Cadwallon.

I think the OP got his $50 worth the first time his daughter
played.

OD

PS If the OP is looking for more depth I would suggest
the Board Games: Cadwallon-City of Thieves & its expansion
Cadwallon-King of ashes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I have to disagree on a couple of things. First, the artwork is great. Being new to gaming you are probably not familiar with Cadwallon or Aarklash. There is a whole lot of background to the artwork from games like Confrontation that I think makes one appreciate the characters and background on the cards. Certainly not your fault, you just are not a fanboy of some of the older games.

That's very big of you for saying that it's not the OP's "fault" for not liking the busy art and graphic design issues including too-small font. He had a legitimate point and gets a pat on the head for not being a fanboy. Was that listed on the Kickstarter as a prerequisite for backing?

Quote:
I also thought the rules were just fine and had no issues. The more games you play and the more rulebooks you read they become easier and easier to understand.

Again Patronizing with a capital P. Typos become easier to understand?

Quote:
The OP got his $50 worth...

I think whether he got his money worth is entirely the OP's prerogative. He obviously didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the card sleeves. I was curious if there were any sleeves that would fit!!

The FFG (dark blue) will be slightly too big, I'd go for these instead:

http://swanpanasiasleeves.com/standard-sleeves/swan-card-sle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I have to disagree on a couple of things. First, the artwork is great. Being new to gaming you are probably not familiar with Cadwallon or Aarklash. There is a whole lot of background to the artwork from games like Confrontation that I think makes one appreciate the characters and background on the cards. Certainly not your fault, you just are not a fanboy of some of the older games.

That's very big of you for saying that it's not the OP's "fault" for not liking the busy art and graphic design issues including too-small font. He had a legitimate point and gets a pat on the head for not being a fanboy. Was that listed on the Kickstarter as a prerequisite for backing?

Quote:
I also thought the rules were just fine and had no issues. The more games you play and the more rulebooks you read they become easier and easier to understand.

Again Patronizing with a capital P. Typos become easier to understand?

Quote:
The OP got his $50 worth...

I think whether he got his money worth is entirely the OP's prerogative. He obviously didn't.

Things for putting a different intent into everything I said. One person tries to put a positive spin and another person is just loving the negative. Get over yourself. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McCallum
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was not my first KS - Zombicide was - but as soon as I showed my partner the gameplay video and she liked it I jumped on board with the $25 pricepoint it was hard to say no. The extra stretch goals, board and larger box made it feel more of a board game rather than a card game.

Anyway, we played it through on Sunday and had a good time. Sadly I lost but that's because my partner grasped the nuances faster than me and I ended up with a guild of Militia instead - might have been ok if we had played the hidden objective card!

My only complaint, aside from the ones listed above, was that the requirement of extra tokens to play larger games was not made clear on the Kickstarter page. If I had known this I would gladly have popped an extra $10 on my pledge to get a 'complete' game.

Does anyone know if the extra token sets will be available separately?

Incidentally I have to agree the artwork is somewhat cluttered on the cards. i know it's Cadwallon themeed (we have Arcana with similar artwork) but it was quite difficult to judge what was of the same district.

Fun game, quick to set up and easy to understand with some added depth thanks to optional cards.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Guilds last night, and my opinion on the card design was similar to the OP's (though I didn't notice the spelling errors). The action cards were hard to read across a table, and figuring out districts was real bear. A better design would have had larger fonts, and a clear icon/border color denoting the district, so that the card art was a secondary sign of district.

Our group (being players who only know Cadwallon as Some Welsh Guy) were halfway through an re-skin plan before the end of the game. We'll probably do an SCA re-skin first, but I thought a Siennese skin (using the Contrade flags as districts, and real medieval guilds) would be brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.