Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Hi my name is Jacob and I have to say that I really love the game and the engaging interaction the game gives to the players but after many games under my belt with Archipelago there is only one thing that I can not understand with the game thematically, and that is why is that player get to use the export and import market to pay for the crisis without having to pay for them. I would figure that players would have to pay half of the cost for the resources instead of taking them for free. I am not complaining about it, I just do not understand how that works thematically with the game. Maybe I am missing something and if I am could some one point it out for me that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rudder wrote:
there is only one thing that I can not understand with the game thematically, and that is why is that player get to use the export and import market to pay for the crisis without having to pay for them. I would figure that players would have to pay half of the cost for the resources instead of taking them for free. I am not complaining about it, I just do not understand how that works thematically with the game. Maybe I am missing something and if I am could some one point it out for me that would be great.

Hi Jacob. I always assume that the crises are increases in demand that need to be satisfied by those markets. If some or all of the resources are already at the market then there isn't a problem, although to meet the demand those goods in the market will disappear (be used, consumed). If that isn't enough to satisfy the crisis then players can contribute from their own stocks. If they don't do so then those unsatisfied demands lead to an increase in rebels, so the players give this for free (similar to foreign aid for example.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you aren't really "using" the goods in the markets. The people are consuming them as they go about their daily affairs (or they are being shipped to Europe in the case of foreign crises.) The crisis mechanic serves to randomize which goods are in demand and when, and the turn order mechanic determines which player decides whose citizens have priority to consume the goods. Contributing resources from your personal supply is optional, and I suppose it represents the "benevolent imperialist" in that you are returning some of the resources you have extracted from the archipelago to its people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ok that makes sense. Either way bidding mechanic adds an edge to the game and I would say if you are playing with the right people its the most important part in the game at the most crucial time. And depending on what getting put on the market can really affect your choice from turn to turn in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.