Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Co-Op Dungeons and Dragons board game to start with (poll included) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get one to play solo and can't decide where to start, I like the theme of Castle Ravenloft as well as the character classes but the tiles in Drizzt seem to be improved a lot. Which one is your favorite and why?

Poll
Which is your favorite D&D board game
Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt
      71 answers
Poll created by LunarSoundDesign
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I want to get one and can't decide where to start, I like the theme of Castle Ravenloft as well as the character classes but the tiles in Drizzt seem to be improved a lot. Which one is your favorite and why?


What's different about the tiles in LoD vs. CR? CRs tiles are high quality - sturdy with nice artwork I haven't seen LoDs tiles though.

I've only played CR and WoD and of the two I think i like CR better. Both are fun though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
I was under the impression the tiles in Drizzt have more to offer design wise not the actual quality of production per say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I want to get one and can't decide where to start, I like the theme of Castle Ravenloft as well as the character classes but the tiles in Drizzt seem to be improved a lot. Which one is your favorite and why?

Poll
Which is your favorite D&D board game
Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt
      71 answers
Poll created by LunarSoundDesign



Choice D: Dungeon Command is the best. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
tssfulk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I want to get one and can't decide where to start, I like the theme of Castle Ravenloft as well as the character classes but the tiles in Drizzt seem to be improved a lot. Which one is your favorite and why?

Poll
Which is your favorite D&D board game
Castle Ravenloft
Wrath of Ashardalon
Legend of Drizzt
      71 answers
Poll created by LunarSoundDesign



Choice D: Dungeon Command is the best. whistle


No I play solo, I will edit the post to say which co-op D&D game then
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Co-Op Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
I like LoD, but I've read most of the books so I know the characters...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Co-Op Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
I would like some help deciding which one to start with, perhaps some pros and cons between the three.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Co-Op Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
3rd edition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Co-Op Dungeons and Dragons board game is the best (poll included)
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


Is it smart ass night?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played CR but plan on getting Drizzt someday.

CR is a very puzzle-like co-op more akin to Ghost Stories than a D&D dungeon crawl. The events are only bad and slowly whittle down HP from the party. Some "treasures" are good events (blessings, etc.); however, many don't do anything because you can't save them until needed and you can draw them when you might not need it (our usual luck). Leveling up is extremely rare. You have to roll a natural 20 when you have 5 XP saved up, XP that is better used to negate some horrible event card. It's a fun game, but it never wowed me. Looking at Drizzt's forums makes me have hope that Wizards have listened to criticism and made the game better. Plus, my oldest son has the first 6 Drizzt books (which I'm reading as well).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Careful with them scissors!
Avatar
mb
I had the same question before I ended up with no2 WoA. What I read from various forums, reviews etc. was this:

no1 CR: Like Fulk is saying in his post, most of the events/treasures are damaging. This was altered/balanced slightly in
no2 WoA, to which I can add, the theme and story isn't all that thrilling or captivating. After all, WotC openly states that it's a mash-up of several individual campaigns and books. It is very enjoyable to play solo (with one or several characters) nevertheless.
no3 LoD's campaign is partly co-op, and the rest is not. Therefore (if I recall correctly) you cannot play through the whole campaign book that's included in co-op. Do a search and you'll find the rules (and campaigns?) in PDF on WotC's website.

Castle Ravenloft is a well-developed campaign, although I don't know if they've managed to keep this in the board game.

Hope this helps :)


Regards

Sam Ferdinand
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


This
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the people that voted for Drizzt? I would like to hear why they like it more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Careful with them scissors!
Avatar
mb
ch82 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


This

.. and the reply.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
samalvor wrote:
ch82 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


This

.. and the reply.


This doesn't help me since I clearly am asking about the board games shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Complete & Sufficient Statistician
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Ravenloft yet.

Ashardalon and Drizzt are both good. I can't say I strongly prefer one over the other, but I would start with Drizzt. I found that Drizzt had more varied difficulty. Some adventures are very hard, but Drizzt himself is a bit stronger than any of the Ashardalon characters, so you can more easily adjust the difficulty through character and adventure selection. It can be quite easy or hard. Ashardalon has a couple of quests that are on the easier side, but it's pretty rough overall.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenriz wrote:
I haven't played Ravenloft yet.

Ashardalon and Drizzt are both good. I can't say I strongly prefer one over the other, but I would start with Drizzt. I found that Drizzt had more varied difficulty. Some adventures are very hard, but Drizzt himself is a bit stronger than any of the Ashardalon characters, so you can more easily adjust the difficulty through character and adventure selection. It can be quite easy or hard. Ashardalon has a couple of quests that are on the easier side, but it's pretty rough overall.


Thanks for the input. I like bits from each one. I wasn't too impressed with the character classes in Drizzt, I like the campaign idea and some monsters from WoA but CR has magic users. I wonder if CR and LoD would be good to combine. Do a lot of people do that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
samalvor wrote:
ch82 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


This

.. and the reply.


It is a board game, a very deep board game. I've had to map out a dungeon and place minis on it, and if that isn't a board, I don't know what you would call it. It isn't completely co-op, because it is 1 versus many, but the 1 can also play an npc character if they don't "help" too much. I didn't like the baord games from D&D as of late; they are missing a big part of the essence of role playing games...doing anything you want.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
samalvor wrote:
ch82 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


This

.. and the reply.


It is a board game, a very deep board game. I've had to map out a dungeon and place minis on it, and if that isn't a board, I don't know what you would call it. It isn't completely co-op, because it is 1 versus many, but the 1 can also play an npc character if they don't "help" too much. I didn't like the baord games from D&D as of late; they are missing a big part of the essence of role playing games...doing anything you want.


It's completely off topic since I am asking to compare the 3 co-op board games
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
I've only played CR but plan on getting Drizzt someday.

CR is a very puzzle-like co-op more akin to Ghost Stories than a D&D dungeon crawl. The events are only bad and slowly whittle down HP from the party. Some "treasures" are good events (blessings, etc.); however, many don't do anything because you can't save them until needed and you can draw them when you might not need it (our usual luck). Leveling up is extremely rare. You have to roll a natural 20 when you have 5 XP saved up, XP that is better used to negate some horrible event card. It's a fun game, but it never wowed me. Looking at Drizzt's forums makes me have hope that Wizards have listened to criticism and made the game better. Plus, my oldest son has the first 6 Drizzt books (which I'm reading as well).



Isn't leveling up in all 3 games the same? Also I would imagine all the event decks aren't pleasant. The one complaint I've read a lot about with CR is the treasures aren't very good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
samalvor wrote:
ch82 wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
3rd edition.


This

.. and the reply.


It is a board game, a very deep board game. I've had to map out a dungeon and place minis on it, and if that isn't a board, I don't know what you would call it. It isn't completely co-op, because it is 1 versus many, but the 1 can also play an npc character if they don't "help" too much. I didn't like the baord games from D&D as of late; they are missing a big part of the essence of role playing games...doing anything you want.


It's completely off topic since I am asking to compare the 3 co-op board games


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 and my vote was for Drizzt. It comes with 5 heroes instead of 4 like in the other 2 games. The heroes are slightly stronger.

I've found the quality of the tiles to be similar. Drizzt does have some special rooms with mechanical benefits which I enjoy.

I bought the 3 in order, but if I had to do it again, I would start at Drizzt. I think it gives you the most bang for your buck, and presents the best face of the series. If you really like it, pick up the other 2 for the extra heroes, and treasures if nothing else.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:
I own all 3 and my vote was for Drizzt. It comes with 5 heroes instead of 4 like in the other 2 games. The heroes are slightly stronger.

I've found the quality of the tiles to be similar. Drizzt does have some special rooms with mechanical benefits which I enjoy.

I bought the 3 in order, but if I had to do it again, I would start at Drizzt. I think it gives you the most bang for your buck, and presents the best face of the series. If you really like it, pick up the other 2 for the extra heroes, and treasures if nothing else.


It seemed that Drizzt was more focused on melee combat. I like that there are casters in CR. Do they all mix together well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
tssfulk wrote:
I've only played CR but plan on getting Drizzt someday.

CR is a very puzzle-like co-op more akin to Ghost Stories than a D&D dungeon crawl. The events are only bad and slowly whittle down HP from the party. Some "treasures" are good events (blessings, etc.); however, many don't do anything because you can't save them until needed and you can draw them when you might not need it (our usual luck). Leveling up is extremely rare. You have to roll a natural 20 when you have 5 XP saved up, XP that is better used to negate some horrible event card. It's a fun game, but it never wowed me. Looking at Drizzt's forums makes me have hope that Wizards have listened to criticism and made the game better. Plus, my oldest son has the first 6 Drizzt books (which I'm reading as well).



Isn't leveling up in all 3 games the same? Also I would imagine all the event decks aren't pleasant. The one complaint I've read a lot about with CR is the treasures aren't very good.


Throughout all 3 games the treasure is pretty mediocre. There are a few really good pieces that give you extra attacks, and other really nice effects but at the same time there are several that are worthless. In between is a lot of marginaly useful or situational or straight up meh cards that aren't going to rock your world.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
AdmiralCrunch wrote:
I own all 3 and my vote was for Drizzt. It comes with 5 heroes instead of 4 like in the other 2 games. The heroes are slightly stronger.

I've found the quality of the tiles to be similar. Drizzt does have some special rooms with mechanical benefits which I enjoy.

I bought the 3 in order, but if I had to do it again, I would start at Drizzt. I think it gives you the most bang for your buck, and presents the best face of the series. If you really like it, pick up the other 2 for the extra heroes, and treasures if nothing else.


It seemed that Drizzt was more focused on melee combat. I like that there are casters in CR. Do they all mix together well?


They do. You can play a hero from any box in any scenario. Drizzt's are a bit more powerful, but not overwhelmingly so.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.