Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the abbreviated full game that came in the box. Quadruple inflation is tough! Not at all clear from the rules whether it is supposed to effect dwarf research rolls, but we played it did. I just found a general forum thread confirming this.

Other Qs from this play and reading rules.

In two player full game is it correct that each player gets only one quest? Not one quest per army?

Is it correct that once you complete your quest you are done with quests for the game? It just seems like a lot of cards for something that is always one and done, so I expected to find a rule about drawing a replacement.

Does the priest level one spell that helps bypass armor work on a ballista or cannon ranged attack?

Does dwarf hardened armor protect during a ranged attack?

I really wish the army information had been provided on two papers each. Flipping them over back and forth to learn the rules, check costs, etc. is confusing.

Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian,
Thanks for playing Warparty! Quadruple inflation is meant to be tough, but we feel that it is necessary to keep players from replacing large armies too quickly. It brings conclusion to the game.

PghArch wrote:
Played the abbreviated full game that came in the box. Quadruple inflation is tough! Not at all clear from the rules whether it is supposed to effect dwarf research rolls, but we played it did. I just found a general forum thread confirming this.

From page 7 of the rules:
Bleeding the Land Dry: This may also be referred to as quadruple
inflation and takes place when one army collects 57 or more. The costs for everything will quadruple following that team’s turn.."

Also in the next section:
Costs: All costs should be adjusted for Bleeding the Land Dry and Resource Depletion. It should be noted that only costs are adjusted. Cities, city upgrades, and spells such as ‘tax of the magi’ provide adjustment to collection, but these adjustments are not adjusted when costs increase.

The rules do refer to all costs also in the description of double inflation, but I know this question has come up on research rolls before, so I will add it to the FAQ.

PghArch wrote:

Other Qs from this play and reading rules.

In two player full game is it correct that each player gets only one quest? Not one quest per army?

No, each army should receive a quest card. We should replace the word player with army in the rules. Thank you for pointing this out.

PghArch wrote:

Is it correct that once you complete your quest you are done with quests for the game? It just seems like a lot of cards for something that is always one and done, so I expected to find a rule about drawing a replacement.

Yes, you only are able to complete one quest per army, except if you have the "Many Missions" quest card. Quests are not supposed to impact the game significantly, but rather to encourage players to to try new things. There are plenty of games when players are not able to complete a single quest, so having redraws doesn't seem necessary.

PghArch wrote:

Does the priest level one spell that helps bypass armor work on a ballista or cannon ranged attack?

I think you are referring to Symbol of Fortitude. The answer is yes, in fact that is one of the primary reasons to select that spell.

PghArch wrote:

Does dwarf hardened armor protect during a ranged attack?

Yes it does. There are no situations where hardened armor does not work.

PghArch wrote:

I really wish the army information had been provided on two papers each. Flipping them over back and forth to learn the rules, check costs, etc. is confusing.

I hear you. I think this comes down to personal preference though. For years in our proto-type we had multiple pages, sometimes 3 pages even. It was a bit unwieldly I thought. I thought the one page sheet was a nice change, but then again I don't need really need to reference it any more. This decision was ultimately the publishers and not mine.

PghArch wrote:

Thanks for the answers.

My pleasure. I'm happy to. Please tell us about the game. How did it unfold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lbogucki wrote:
I hear you. I think this comes down to personal preference though. For years in our proto-type we had multiple pages, sometimes 3 pages even. It was a bit unwieldly I thought. I thought the one page sheet was a nice change, but then again I don't need really need to reference it any more. This decision was ultimately the publishers and not mine.

Larry, one solution with regard to the army list that might be a blend of both options would be a folio approach. Army/WP graphis on the front page, the army list and descriptions (the current two-pager) on the inside two pages, and then you could take advantage of the back page to list out available spells, hero leveling info, and other game stats on the back page. Something to consider with future expansions, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris!
Nice idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Larry, one solution with regard to the army list that might be a blend of both options would be a folio approach. Army/WP graphis on the front page, the army list and descriptions (the current two-pager) on the inside two pages, and then you could take advantage of the back page to list out available spells, hero leveling info, and other game stats on the back page. Something to consider with future expansions, perhaps.

A spell list with the details as listed on the cards would really be a plus especially for a new player. I know that I was overwhelmed by the priest/wizard side of the game until I had my own copy to peruse at leisure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharpe1813 wrote:
Quote:

A spell list with the details as listed on the cards would really be a plus especially for a new player. I know that I was overwhelmed by the priest/wizard side of the game until I had my own copy to peruse at leisure.

Good point. I will look into creating something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Larry.

Planning several turns in advance is really crucial to being successful in WP. When $$$ are scare and made scarcer by inflation, then every facet of your strategy--position, speed of units, mass of units, spell selection, and timing and sequencing of builds becomes super critical. It's why we love WP even as it files our nails down to the nubs of our fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.