United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't but to feel that everyone always ends up choosing the same 1 or 2 characters. That right there has gotten a bit bland. Same tactics, pitfalls, and powers to back you up. While there's certainly randomness in the game itself... I feel this may be a nice change of pace. Anyone else try this and results if so?

Although it may take a bit more work, you can do a randomizer/shuffle and hand out character cards so you still obey the initial character selection rules (go in-breadth over in-depth). Otherwise, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the game to bypass that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
We normally go random, redrawing if you draw a type that is no longer legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it, and it works well for me, although it definitely depends on your players. When we go random, we typically ignore the restrictions on character type, and it doesn't break the game for us. The main impediment is if you have any rule sticklers in your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mks
Poland
Loguivy
CĂ´tes d'Armor, Bretagne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we always draw two characters each and chose one of them to play. we get the randomness and we keep being able to compose the crew to have a decent amount of pilots, polititians, militaries etc.
i works our perfectly, I can't imagine doing it any way different now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We normally do random these days. The games that are most fun are when you draw an unbalanced group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this once and we went for a random selection but from each class, which left us with only one person able to pick up Engineering Skills cards.

Next time, we plan to shuffle the types and only have the top one facing upwards so that you can take that person or pick another class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Jar
France
flag msg tools
I have played with random selection for so long, that i don't even remember standard selection rules...

Most of the time, random/semi-random selection is fine, even if the team is sometimes unbalanced : you can still have a decent game even without 1 type of character. Besides, if everyone around the table agree, you can always redraw...

Most of the time, we use a more or less complex variation of the "Draw 2/Keep 1" method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with random character selection of some variety.

In 4 player games, we'll sometimes give out a random character type (political/military/pilot/support) and then pick our own characters from that subgroup.

But more more often than not, we shuffle all the character cards* together and draw up to the number of players. We usually try to make sure we have at least one character from each type, and often try to make it somewhat balanced (ie if we draw 3 political leaders in a 6 player game, we'll often toss the third one drawn and draw again). Once we're happy with the distribution of characters selected, they get shuffled and dealt out.

*Sometimes we just use the ally cards from Exodus, discarding non-player characters. They're easier to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among our regular players, there are one or two who cling to favourite characters, one or two who try to explore a wide variety, and a bunch who'll pick more-or-less randomly from among the splashier characters...

In other words, yeah, we generally end up with the same squad aside from one or two characters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do "draw three, pick one", re-drawing any that are not eligible because of type constraints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spadovsky wrote:
we always draw two characters each and chose one of them to play. we get the randomness and we keep being able to compose the crew to have a decent amount of pilots, polititians, militaries etc.

This pretty much, choising takes to long.

Sometimes we randomise the roles out, so we draw a random card of each type so for a 6 players, 2 pilots and one of each the rest and deal them out and then from within the randomly allocated class we hand that player 2 characters to chose from. a choice or two keeps it fairly balanced.

for new players or requests we do let people chose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speshul wrote:
spadovsky wrote:

This pretty much, choising takes to long.
Now that you brought it up, I've seen the standard process take up to 15 minutes right there! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a method which is not random, but solves the problem of players always using the same character.

Simply when it is a player's turn to select a character he chooses one than gives it to an other player to play with. All other rules governing character selection applies.

We are switching back and forth between this method and the regular one. Usually it is the winner players' privilege to decide which method to use in the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen chosing take 20 minutes plus... we have a few maths types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing we do is throw the dice to decide the starting player, and then start character selection one player at a time while concurrently building the game setup. We also pass on each character sheet as soon we know we're not going to select them, so the next player can pre-select at the same time.

I have a few times entertained the idea of letting the next player select a character for me to play, and may actually do that the next time we are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
a1bert wrote:
I have a few times entertained the idea of letting the next player select a character for me to play, and may actually do that the next time we are playing.

Hmm, interesting. I've been also thinking about the random characters now that they're mentioned. So the next time we might try something different than the usual routine.

In a 4 player game include all cylon leaders, so there might be more than one! Might be fun, like the game with only political leaders or only pilots...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We go with draw 2/keep 1. Reshuffle and next player choose keeping in mind roles balancing from instruction. Also redraw character with already taken role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We always go with random selection, with the caveat that a pilot, military, and political character all have to have been drawn at least once before the second of any of these character types can be drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bera melexodom
msg tools
You can easily just randomly deal out 3 politicians, 3 pilots, 3 military leaders, and 1 support (and 1 cylon leader). Fudge the numbers a bit if you want to vary the level of choice (e.g. just discarding one character from each pile at random). This method will make things a bit random but still keep the same style of character selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay McKeown
Ireland
flag msg tools
Our group always uses random character selection. It makes the game much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I'll go random within a type. If I want/need a pilot, I'll just shuffle the pilots and then draw one, for example. Never gone full random, I'm not that brave. Or maybe I am just a control freak and need a little control, even in randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.