Popular Tags: [View All]
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After just browsing through this rule

if a player receives no resources during the production roll (other than on a roll of 7), she receives one gold in compensation. Two gold can be traded with the bank for a resource of the player's choice. Gold has other uses as well, such as helpin

This should speed up the first few rounds by giving players the resources they need. Heck I believe sometimes players will wish they don't get the production roll just to stack up on Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes settlers of America has a rule like this and it makes the game a lot more fun. Gone are the situations when you go multiple turns In a row without being able to build anything; Something that always annoyed me with base Catan game.

You're still better off if your number is rolled but you get a little something if it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It s good rule that has been in use in various official variants since 1997.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
After just browsing through this rule

if a player receives no resources during the production roll (other
than on a roll of 7), she receives one gold in compensation. Two gold
can be traded with the bank for a resource of the player's choice.
Gold has other uses as well, such as helpin

This should speed up the first few rounds by giving players the resources they need. Heck I believe sometimes players will wish they don't get the production roll just to stack up on Gold.

It is less useful than the aqueduct in C&K, since you only get half a resource when running empty, however, this extra gain doesn't make you vulnerable to the 7. There is also a maximum of 2 resources per turn you can trade for - if you want more, you'll have to convince your fellow players to accept your gold in trade.

From my experiences with the aqueduct, you'll want to pick your resource maybe once or twice per complete turn, but you'll vastly prefer those rolls that give you cards to trade away or build with. With only half a resource (and the E&P pirate as a gold sink, too), I doubt that the meagre income will be that popular.

Psychologically, it gives you a gain 5 rolls out of 6, so that will reduce the experience of randomness (which you get whichever resource production mode you choose, whenever you don't receive any resources).

In my experience that "randomness" is heavily overrated. Setting up in Catan and expanding your assets is a sort of gambling on the dice results, yes. But so is investing in railway lines games like 1830, without any dice involved, but player interaction.

I'd say feel free to include this rule in any other Catan game (not necessarily T&B the Rivers, unless you make welfare gold different from river gold), but you ought to add some other mechanism to lose gold, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder how this will fare against Catan Walfare Variant?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/150443/the-famous-welfare-va...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
I wonder how this will fare against Catan Walfare Variant?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/150443/the-famous-welfare-va...

The welfare variant remains playable if a scenario ends at 10 or 11 VP. If you need considerably more VP to win, like with several missions in E&P, the exercise gets pointless - you may be 6 points behind the leader, but if it takes 8 rolls without any income to gain one free resource, why bother collecting the tokens?

A straight gold bonus is acceptable. Gold can be traded, not sure about those welfare tokens. And gold is required if you need to bypass the pirate when delivering a cargo or going hunting for fish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.