Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Is there a taboo against this?

I had made plans to go to at least 3 if not 4 or more Regional Events before June trying to get a win for the trophy and ticket. Turns out I won the first one I went too and now I've got several other events lined up.

I still want to go play, I still want to see if I do well, but how bad of a person am I if I feel like paying to enter the tournament I feel like I want to walk away with another trophy if I earn it. I've discussed possibly getting someone to reimburse me my entry fee for the ID cards which I think is perfectly valid. And the ticket I don't much care about, I'd just give it to the second place guy, but if I'm not playing to win something, why would I bother even playing a final round if I happened to make it?

Maybe it won't come up, maybe I'll get stomped at all the rest of the tournaments I go too. But it's something I have been considering all day now that the tourney is over and I came away with a win I totally wasn't expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact the TO of the next regional. Ask them what you've asked here: "I already won a regional event -- is it kosher for me to participate in yours as well? What happens if I win?". Follow what they say.

Or, go with your gut. It sounds like you're pretty conflicted about the situation. Maybe you should do some more thinking about why that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koshea wrote:
Is there a taboo against this?

I had made plans to go to at least 3 if not 4 or more Regional Events before June trying to get a win for the trophy and ticket. Turns out I won the first one I went too and now I've got several other events lined up.

I still want to go play, I still want to see if I do well, but how bad of a person am I if I feel like paying to enter the tournament I feel like I want to walk away with another trophy if I earn it. I've discussed possibly getting someone to reimburse me my entry fee for the ID cards which I think is perfectly valid. And the ticket I don't much care about, I'd just give it to the second place guy, but if I'm not playing to win something, why would I bother even playing a final round if I happened to make it?

Maybe it won't come up, maybe I'll get stomped at all the rest of the tournaments I go too. But it's something I have been considering all day now that the tourney is over and I came away with a win I totally wasn't expecting.

We encounter this problem in the SCA all the time. People want to play with fighters who are bringing their A-game, but they don't necessarily want to win the prize. There's a natural break point in a swiss-style event between the seeding rounds and the Single Elimination rounds for someone to bow out. So you could tell the TO (and only the TO) before the event that you wish to decline to advance.

VtES had a Qualifier system for their Continental Championships, and they awarded Qualification to the top X non-Qualified players. The metaphor here would be that you could still win the tournament, but the ticket would indeed go to whoever came in second. This would be good for you if the TO was furnishing a special prize for the winner.

No matter how you slice it, the real answer is "Talk to the TO".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you, I feel that answer was infintely more helpful than the first even though you both said talk to the TO.

I will do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent an email to some of FFG's Organized Play staff just to see what their perspective on this is. I'm a TO for an upcoming regional where we will have at least one participant who has already won one regional, so I'm quite curious about this issue. I'll update this topic if I find out anything new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Great!

I've already gotten in touch with my local TO and he's curious how this will be handled as well. The local area Regional isn't until the end of May so he hasn't even gotten his prize support kit in yet to know if there is any specific instructions about this yet.

If nothing else I'll update here what the other TO says as there tournament will be this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koshea wrote:
Great!

I've already gotten in touch with my local TO and he's curious how this will be handled as well. The local area Regional isn't until the end of May so he hasn't even gotten his prize support kit in yet to know if there is any specific instructions about this yet.

If nothing else I'll update here what the other TO says as there tournament will be this weekend.

For what it's worth, there were no specific instructions included with our regional kit, just a form to be filled out and sent to FFG with some basic stats on the tournament (# of participants, winner's name and email).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The world championship invite is only for the winning player and is non-transferable. If one player wins multiple events, they receive a redundant invite with no further effect.

Thank you,

Stuart Wilson
Organized Play Associate
swilson@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
Quote:
The world championship invite is only for the winning player and is non-transferable. If one player wins multiple events, they receive a redundant invite with no further effect.

Thank you,

Stuart Wilson
Organized Play Associate

In that case, I'd probably just throw the last game if I'd already won a regional (assuming my opponent wanted the ticket more than they wanted the win)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Stuart Wilson
Organized Play Associate

Wow. I expected a different answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Stuart Wilson
Organized Play Associate

Certainly makes me less likely to want to visit future Regionals.

I know my local game store has already told me I'm not allowed to win their event, best I can place is 2nd. I have to wonder what my motivation is to pay a significant entry fee when there is no possible way to come out on top.

I guess winning an early regional has actually killed my ability to keep playing in the highly competitive games for the next 2 months or so as regional season continues on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like first world problems to me. Perhaps you should find other regional winners at these other local events, and play with them while all of you commiserate about how you can't win more regionals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koshea wrote:
I know my local game store has already told me I'm not allowed to win their event, best I can place is 2nd. I have to wonder what my motivation is to pay a significant entry fee when there is no possible way to come out on top.

I guess winning an early regional has actually killed my ability to keep playing in the highly competitive games for the next 2 months or so as regional season continues on.

Your local store should not be able to prevent you from entering and/or winning their event. If you're legitimately being excluded from an event solely because of your status as a prior regional winner, I would report it to FFG.

That said, there's nothing to stop you from playing in and enjoying competitive matches, even if 2nd place is the best you can attain. I think many people show up and pay for events like this for the atmosphere and competition - the prizes are just a bonus and lack of such shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the competition. But, maybe that's me.

I think many regional winners would be happy, if they found themselves in the position of making it to the finals match of yet another regional tournament, to concede the match and let another player have a trophy and ticket to Worlds. Sounds like good sportmanship to me, but I guess that goes against some people's competitive natures. So be it. Still, the store certainly can't require you to concede if you make it to the finals match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it certainly won't be much of a "World Championship" if it's just a couple of prolific Netrunners playing with themslves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
Well, it certainly won't be much of a "World Championship" if it's just a couple of prolific Netrunners playing with themslves.

Well, the World Championship Weekend is open to anyone who shows up and pays the event fee. Regional winners just get their ticket paid for and a first-round bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beelzeben wrote:
Sounds like first world problems to me. Perhaps you should find other regional winners at these other local events, and play with them while all of you commiserate about how you can't win more regionals.

I don't see the harm in awarding the Worlds entry to the 2nd place finisher if the winner has already qualified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:

I don't see the harm in awarding the Worlds entry to the 2nd place finisher if the winner has already qualified.

Fantasy Flight says you can't. Granted, I don't see the harm either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
roborob wrote:

Fantasy Flight says you can't. Granted, I don't see the harm either.

For the record, I don't see the harm either, but the rules are the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
For the record, I don't mind letting someone else have the glory of the win and the ticket to regionals, and I probably still will play because I enjoy the players, I usually spend twice a week playing them anyway, this will just be a bigger game with more stakes, and I hate to take prizes at all but I'm going to have to get the entry fee back somehow.

Just seems pretty crappy to me to make someone pay $15 to play in your event, exclude them from being the champ and not offering them anything in return. Which means I will play and have fun and enjoy the spirit of competition in spite of the game stores rules, not because of.

The one I'm going to this weekend has already said I can win if I like, which means I will do my best, and if I get to the finals table, probably concede so someone else can have the trophy and ticket being a gracious winner rather than being forced out of the spotlight by a local game stores rules.

I agree with the above though, definitely first world problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the possible harm comes in from collusion. If I am sharking and specifically trying to knock out the other best players so my friend who couldn't have won on his won gets the ticket, that isn't fair either.

IT isn't uncommon that such prizes are non-transferable and most sporting events that use qualifying rounds prevent you from participating if you have already earned your slot in the next round.

As to why you should enter other regionals and win? Well you can always look at it like forcing them to play one more game and thinning the field of those who cannot afford to pay for their own ticket.

Kind of a dickish thing to do for those reasons to me, but my morality isn't yours.

Personally I'd go to just play, if people had bye's because of uneven pairings, I'd offer to play against them. Or I'd just do the tournament and offer to drop out of the cut to top 8 or 4 depending on the size of the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.