Subject: Celestial Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So John, you dropped this on the Omen - Echoes of Myth board, any info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Yeti
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He posted that is has been postponed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Celestial Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-order are open now.

Get your quickly. They will go fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preorders "open for Facebook fans" + no way of combining both products to save on shipping + USD 24.00 int'l shipping fees per game = No thanks Small Box Games, I'll pass on these two sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
The Diamond Geezer wrote:
no way of combining both products to save on shipping

I am sure that is the case for domestic shipping, but I suspect it does not apply to international shipping. In the super small print at the bottom of the page he says:
justjohn wrote:
I strongly suggest you find several people who are interested in obtaining these games, as international shipping scales dramatically, and by ordering several copies we can get your shipping rate down to close to the Domestic Rate per game. Please shoot me an email: sales@smallboxgames.com if you're interested in this.

It seems bizarre that you could order multiple copies of one game but not one of each. It's worth dropping him an email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brodie
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
So guys, read the rules? What are your thoughts? It seems quite a bit different to the original Hemloch I was looking forward to.
I didn't realise the latest edition was not a reprint until reading the rules.

http://www.smallboxgames.com/rules_hvod.pdf

This new version looks to me that it may be harder to learn & teach than the original. There are more opportunities to keep the game fresh, but at what cost?

However, John is an incredible designer, so I'm sure the Hemloch renovations have been successful. I'm just disappointed I've missed my chance to play the game that TheCardGamer thought rivalled Omen.

As a massive Omen fan, my expectations are reasonably high.

So give the rules a read, and share your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh, thanks for bringing the differences up so I can talk about them!

I think, on the surface, the new version of Hemloch looks to be a bit more intimidating than the original. However, I think once you sit down, the changes that were made actually streamline the game a lot, and got rid of some of the awkward bumps that were in the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you pre-order if you don't use Facebook? The main website doesn't have pre-orders open as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything should be up and open today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
is it just me or does the facebook preorder page show up really tiny in browser? It's hard to read the smaller print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Never played the original, so its all new to me. Wanna make sure I got this right:

1. Seizures don't happen till the end of the first week.

2.Every time one district is seized, you return used items, all leaders and discard down to two minion cards in All districts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
esin wrote:

1. Seizures don't happen till the end of the first week.

That and when you watch certain pokemon episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogues wrote:
This new version looks to me that it may be harder to learn & teach than the original. There are more opportunities to keep the game fresh, but at what cost?...I'm just disappointed I've missed my chance to play the game that TheCardGamer thought rivaled Omen.

Strange complaints when the original version of Hemloch is available in the BGG marketplace for about the same price as SBG is asking for the newer version.

(Disclosure: Yes, one is mine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
justjohn wrote:
Everything should be up and open today.

It appears that the Small Box Games site still doesn't have pre-orders open for Hemloch or Omen. Was there a delay or some glitch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brodie
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the heads up, I'm new to the site and didn't realise there was an arena to buy & sell.
And thanks for the explanation John, I keenly await the delivery of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got a copy of Hemloch after playing my print-n-play for a while and loving the elegance of design. I'd have to play this new version to be convinced it's better. The rules ARE intimidating. The only difficulty I had with the original was when to score districts but I got over it.

To be fair, a lot of games play much simpler than they read.

In other news, I have a print-n-play of the cards from the original game which I no longer need. Does anyone want them? You'll have to sleeve them yourself and find cubes from somewhere (I used sheep and pigs from Agricola).

Send me a message if you want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this new version is called "Vault of Darkness" in some places and "Vault of Shadows" in others. And then this thread refers to "Celestial Edition". Which is the right name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the original Hemloch as well, and my wife and I have spent many happy hours playing it. Because of its small size, it was one of the few games we brought on our trip to Iceland...and we were glad we did! I'd love to hear more of John's thoughts on the differences between the two editions, and the problems this new edition is meant to fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.