Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi. I suppose it's actually two questions.

A) How long is this game? I assume it varies between number of players, but is it about 30 minutes per player? Longer?

B) Does the game sit 5 well? I really need a 5 player game other than Glory to Rome and Hanabi. Whether or not this sits 5 well, I'd also like some random suggestions for 5-6 player games - any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays excellently with five. Your estimate on game length is pretty accurate, although I would add 30-45 minutes for your first game for rules explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oxmond
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hi. I suppose it's actually two questions.

A) How long is this game? I assume it varies between number of players, but is it about 30 minutes per player? Longer?

B) Does the game sit 5 well? I really need a 5 player game other than Glory to Rome and Hanabi. Whether or not this sits 5 well, I'd also like some random suggestions for 5-6 player games - any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Paul

A) After 30+ games, it is about 20 minutes per player here.
B) TM is a perfect 4er game. However, I would not appreciate 3er or 5er game because both of them have some minor issues. They are just acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
What sort of issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is an excellent game with 3, 4 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
What sort of issues?

I'm curious to know as well. In my opinion Terra Mystica is excellent with 5-players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it most with 5 Players. Fewer players might be better for learning the game, but for experts I think 5 Players is perfect, because it brings the most interaction conearning area enclosure, power actions etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it with 2, 3, 4, and 5 players and the 5-player game is my favorite. I would expect your first 5-player game to last at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours but as everyone learns the game and gets familiar with the 8 different actions they can take each turn the game goes much faster. Believe it or not I also enjoy it as a 2-player game. This is just an overall great game and I just can't get enough of playing it.

I think 20 minutes per player is reasonable once everyone knows the rules and understands the mechanics. There are lots of pieces and set up will take at least 10 minutes. It usually takes us a full hour to set up and finish a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
1869 wrote:
I like it most with 5 Players. Fewer players might be better for learning the game, but for experts I think 5 Players is perfect, because it brings the most interaction conearning area enclosure, power actions etc.

I can't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good with 2 and absolutely fantastic with 3-5. I think 4 might be the perfect number for me, but it's really just as good with 5, and I can definitely see why people prefer it with 5.

Playing time is about 30-40 minutes per player, depending on how AP-prone they are. Teaching the rules will take another 30 minutes or so for the first game (the designer taught me in 15 minutes in Essen, but I'm still not sure how he did that...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays great with 3, 4, 5 players and I don't have an opinion on 2 players. Because of the "power" the game scales very well. Some races like the Fakirs do not play well with high player counts though.

I would be interested what oxmond does not like about 5 player Terra Mystica. For me it's the supreme discipline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my two cents by saying this game plays fantastically well with 3,4, and 5. I have not played with two, so I have no opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oxmond
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With only 3 players, board is too loose and some factions like Nomad and Swarmlings become too strong. And you pay almost nothing to be in third position to score longest chain and religious track. (Well, you need at least one though.)

With 5 players, the game board is too crowded which leads to some kind of chaos. It becomes very hard to predict someone's move. Factions like Fakirs are totally not able to win. Additionally, there are only seven spaces in landscape circle, so at least one of the players will find himself having very little room to terraform. Compared with 4er game, 5er game is less strategy but more like "do what you can do now and pray".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer in this order: 4 player, 5 player, 3 player.

More recent games that I like at 5 or 6:

Keyflower (4 to 6)
Lancaster (4 or 5, especially good with Henry V expansion)
Age of Industry (4 or 5 depends on map)
Great Zimbabwe (3 to 5)
Airlines Europe (4 or 5)
Endeavor (4 or 5)
Ginkopolis (4 or 5)
Glen More (4 or 5)
Samarkand: Routes to Riches (4 or 5)
Seven Sisters (4 to 6)
Snowdonia (4 or 5)
Tammany Hall (4 or 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a handful of games, but three players seems a bit too easy with not enough competition for stuff. Four players is good, but five playes is better because competition is more intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1869 wrote:
I like it most with 5 Players. Fewer players might be better for learning the game, but for experts I think 5 Players is perfect, because it brings the most interaction concerning area enclosure, power actions etc.

After 25 plays, agree with this wholeheartedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:

Thanks a lot,
Paul

Here's a few I've played with 5 players or 6 for Cable Car and Libertalia.

Vanuatu 3-5 players

Cable Car 2-6 players

Libertalia 2-6 players

Core Worlds 2-5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Something about Core Worlds never spoke to me, though I'm getting Eminent Domain in the near future. If I have way overplayed Citadels and have decided that I strongly dislike it, how will I feel about Libteralia?

Sweet. I've heard good things about this game, but was worried about game length. I'm not certain there's enough player interaction, but my table doesn't even care that much about that. So this should be fun. I suppose my biggest worry is that the races are so unbalanced that the game becomes silly quickly... But hopefully the expansion will fix that, if it ends up being true.

Thanks a great deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Puffe
Germany
Elxleben IK
Thüringen
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played over 50 games now in all player configurations and I really love this game with 2-5 players. It is obvious to everybody that the feeling of the game changes because the area of the board is always the same. So with 2-3 players you don't have a confrontation very often (but it still can happen) and with 5 players it gets really hard on the board and on the culture track.

But I liked all the games and I can't say what is best, it's a matter of taste what kind of feeling you would like to have. Playing time is about 20-30min per player in our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oxmond wrote:

With 5 players, the game board is too crowded which leads to some kind of chaos. It becomes very hard to predict someone's move. Factions like Fakirs are totally not able to win. Additionally, there are only seven spaces in landscape circle, so at least one of the players will find himself having very little room to terraform. Compared with 4er game, 5er game is less strategy but more like "do what you can do now and pray".

Isn't exactly this problem part of a game strategy? The most likely chosen races and the already chosen races is something that I think about before chosing my race. I agree, that the last player can only choose a race that already has a neighbor on the terraform cycle. But most races prefer a certain part of the map, which means they might not interfere much.

For example: I wouldn't consider a Mermaid to be a big competitor for a black race. A Nomad usually isn't a problem for a Chaos Magician and there are other terraform neighbors who will most likely not be big competitors for areas. And if it still happens (like the latest Dwarf that pushed my Chaos Magicians out of the prefered spot in the North East) than it is something new and I have a challenge that I find rather exciting than frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miklos kuti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am playing with AP prone players, but 4 player games regularly take 3 and a half hours and 5 player games 4 and a half hours. The length and the involved downtime is the reason I prefer to play this as a 4 player game, otherwise the game is indeed more interesting with 5.
Still playable with 3, even 2, but much less interesting than the higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
The longest game that I have ever played was 3.5 hours with ll new players and rules explanation.

With expererienced players, 4-player takes around 2 hours and 5-player 2.5.

So it would seem like you play with some APers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.