Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is at the top of a resource track, and therefore all dice of that type are 'wild' for them, do they have to convert that resource to all the same type of resource, or can they change, say, 2 "wild" reds to 1 blue and 1 green?

The rules as written don't say you can't split them up, but in the example given the person changed them all to the same color. I assume he could have used 1 wild for one resource and another wild for another different resource, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that you can change it to whatever colorS you want; it's called WILD for a reason ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are only allowed to change the wild dice to one kind of resource.

I'll have to go check the rules to see if I worded it strangely, but that was my intention.

zenpunk wrote:
If someone is at the top of a resource track, and therefore all dice of that type are 'wild' for them, do they have to convert that resource to all the same type of resource, or can they change, say, 2 "wild" reds to 1 blue and 1 green?

The rules as written don't say you can't split them up, but in the example given the person changed them all to the same color. I assume he could have used 1 wild for one resource and another wild for another different resource, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, it's worded just a little bit strangely, in the rule book, anyway...

It states...
Quote:
If a player has a token at the top of a Resource Track & takes a die of that resource, the player may convert it to 1 other resource (i.e that die is "wild".)

So, the rules just state what happens if you take "a die"... you convert it to 1 resource of any type. It doesn't mention "dice" at all. So, we played you can convert each die to whatever resource you want... all the same, all different, or any combo.

If you look at the rule summary "quick sheet", or whatever you call it... which, obviously we didn't... it's a little more clear...
Quote:
A player with a token at the top of the Resource Track may use chosen dice of that resource as 1 other resource.

But, come to think of it, even that maybe should say "as the same number of dice of 1 other resource type", to keep anyone from thinking even if you can grab more than 1 "wild" dice you still only get to move up 1 space on another resource track.

Anyway, glad I know the real rule now. Another quick clarification, because this actually came up in the game that started this whole argument... if someone has two cubes up at the top space of 2 different resource tracks, then they have the possibility of choosing 2 different types of dice that are wild (assuming they take one set of wilds and then it gets all the way around back to them in that turn to pick up the second set) ... so, in that case, then they could actually use one set of wilds as one resource type, and the other set of wilds as a different resource type, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
yeah, it's worded just a little bit strangely, in the rule book, anyway...

It states...
Quote:
If a player has a token at the top of a Resource Track & takes a die of that resource, the player may convert it to 1 other resource (i.e that die is "wild".)

So, the rules just state what happens if you take "a die"... you convert it to 1 resource of any type. It doesn't mention "dice" at all. So, we played you can convert each die to whatever resource you want... all the same, all different, or any combo.

If you look at the rule summary "quick sheet", or whatever you call it... which, obviously we didn't... it's a little more clear...
Quote:
A player with a token at the top of the Resource Track may use chosen dice of that resource as 1 other resource.

But, come to think of it, even that maybe should say "as the same number of dice of 1 other resource type", to keep anyone from thinking even if you can grab more than 1 "wild" dice you still only get to move up 1 space on another resource track.

Anyway, glad I know the real rule now. Another quick clarification, because this actually came up in the game that started this whole argument... if someone has two cubes up at the top space of 2 different resource tracks, then they have the possibility of choosing 2 different types of dice that are wild (assuming they take one set of wilds and then it gets all the way around back to them in that turn to pick up the second set) ... so, in that case, then they could actually use one set of wilds as one resource type, and the other set of wilds as a different resource type, yes?

Yes, in that situation it could happen. I recognize that the rule is not stated clearly enough. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.