Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Asteroid fields plus random discovery tile ship part ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate the Greater
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
so my toughts on the possibility of a tile of an asteroid field was that there would be two different of them.

Raw Materials Asteroids
5 mineral squares, 3 of them are advanced
Precious Metals Asteroids
5 economy squares, 3 of them are advanced

I didnt want science to feel left out, so i considered the possibility of a plasma field
5 science squares, 3 of them are advanced

obviosly the science one seems unfair if hydra can pull it early, but meh...

of course these tiles come with a price.
only 1 vp each

additionally since they are in dangerous areas, to represent this the tiles roll a die for each pop cube during the combat step, for each 6 a cube is destroyed as though another player was attacking it.

the same goes for ships, interceptors or underhulled ships are in danger of being destroyed.

i hadnt considered missiles, but after seeing someone elses ideas on asteroids, i felt that if the asteroids got to make an attack roll on each successful missile shot to effectively negate it, then decided, since 6 may not come up often enough to make that aspect reliable, what if we could make a way to have a ships maneuverability help the asteroids take out missiles... IE the number of hexes a ship can move is added to the asteroids roll...

just a thought...

and as for ship parts...
i like the idea of the interceptor bay but unfortunately it just kinda... sucks, but what if they made an off grid interceptor rack, flavor wise it suggests the interceptors are mounted on the exterior of the ships and then being carried along like a pair of skis, ive seen various sci fi shows do something similar to this (pilot of firefly) maybe still take power... but no hull addition, i just can never see myself using the interceptor bay... except in the rare instance i get the shard hull already... then adding the one hull from the bay gets me to the all important 4 hull plus one more hit rating. not for interceptors... like the bay

networked computer and/or shields
plus 1 computer or a minus 1 shield, takes 3 power...
the catch, it confers this bonus to all allied ships in the battle, to make it a bit fair i figure that it cant go on interceptors to prevent a rediculous battle where all interceptors give each other +8 (lol) i figure +4 if all cruisers are in the same battle is still pretty OP but seems a bit more reasonable.

any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You asked for Initial thoughts, so here goes.

(1) Thematically a hex is a 'space sector' not a solar system, so a single hex with nothing but some asteroids to mine seems dubious at best. Maybe can be fixed with a retheme.

(2) 5 resources on a single tile (even 2 advanced) seems really good. I see them more balanced as 3/1s only in ring III. That's 3 resource spots total, 1 advanced. And even that might be too good.

(3) The stuff about them possibly blowing up ships/pop cubes is cute, but seems too crunchy for very little payoff. Not every new component needs its own rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davison
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Middle Aged Mutant Lit Major Turtle
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of an asteroid field hex that acts as a buffer zone as well as providing resource potential.

Maybe moving into the asteroid field hex would result in a "missile barrage". All the technology relevant to missiles would also protect you from the asteroid bombardment.

It'd also be cool if, once you're in the hex, you can mine the asteroids.

I'm not sure how to implement this.

Maybe an Influence action could remove an asteroid/increase your Material supply? Or in the Refresh phase, an asteroid could be removed when you gain your resources?

And how're the remaining amount of asteroids tracked? Are they cardboard chits that lay on the hex? Or maybe there's a wood counter on the hex tracking the remaining Material available to be mined? Do you have to colonize the asteroids to mine them?

So you could either 1) Move into the asteroid hex, and leave the asteroids untouched to create a defensive barrier to your other star systems. 2) Strip out all the asteroids to boost your Material reserve and leave an empty hex.

Now we just have to conceive of some rules about giant asteroid lurking worms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Gibb
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I like yr second idea as a fix to interceptor bays.
We have never seen it used - its so situational that it simply is never needed.
If however it was exterior to the ship, adding 1 hull, using power, and giving the interceptor draw ability then it would be much more popular and worth going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A special type of discovery tile (lets call them "Mining Tiles") that you stack 3 (or whatever) on when you discover the hex.

When you have influence on the hex, you MAY pull one "mining tile" during Cleanup. Each mining tile has a one-shot Material/Material-Money combo bonus (like the discovery tiles, in the 3-6 range) and is not worth any VPs...

If you do not pull off the mining tiles, they are worth 1VP each if you control the hex at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
dream_rpg wrote:
(1) Thematically a hex is a 'space sector' not a solar system, so a single hex with nothing but some asteroids to mine seems dubious at best.[/quote]

Disagree; it could simply be a hex with asteroid belts and without colonizable planets. Say, gas giants and belts that couldn't form terrestrial planets due to the gravity of the gas giants.

[q="dream_rpg"](2) 5 resources on a single tile (even 2 advanced) seems really good. I see them more balanced as 3/1s only in ring III. That's 3 resource spots total, 1 advanced. And even that might be too good.

Yep, 5 is silly. Maybe 2 basic + 1 advanced with disadvantages.

However you balance the planets, I like the following thematic idea - an asteroid belt hex pins any ship that enters on that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/868536/black-holes-nebulae-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate the Greater
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes i know about that thread, so you didnt need to link it as though im oblivious... but my idea was different than his.

I know 5 spaces is good, but only 2 are usable without tech, its similar to the supernovae hexes, and they both have a drawback, it was just a thought, no one has really commented on my ancient ship part ideas though.. And i realized i forgot one.

Slipstream drive.
Takes 2 power, provides 2 initiatave.
Ships with a slipstream drive can move any number of hexes as long as its within a straight line. (wormhole generators do help with this)

Ships can still get pinned so cloak makes it maybe bonkers, but if space is wonky enough might no be any better than a fusion drive... But sometimes... Zoom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.