Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » General

Subject: Putting back the replaced items in 2nd edition. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the owner of both first and second edition.I found that in second edition 5 items have replaced some of the items from the first edition such as the Toy Monkey.Do you think it is possible to also put in the second's edition Item card pile the five "old items" or the gameplay will be ruined?
The old items are: the Druidic Charm, the Mystic Coin, the Rope, the Skeleton Key and the Toy Monkey.
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing with my set- Item cards are kinda rare in the game, and nobody could ever accuse betrayal of being a 'balanced' game to begin with, so I don't imagine it matters too much.

I also keep the eight or so haunts eliminated from the first game as 'alternates' to use if we wind up facing something we already did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With so many items in the deck, and so few ways to get them, it probably wouldn't matter much. But Rope and Druidic Charm were probably removed because of all the rules questions they bring about, and Mystic Coin and Toy Monkey were replaced by the (IMO cooler) Dark Dice and Music Box. So you may notice some redundancy.

Don't actually remember what Skeleton Key did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some scenarios required escape from the front door of the house. The key would automatically unlock the front door without requiring a skill check. I believe it also worked on the "Safe" token on the Encounter card. So, in effect, high value in some very limited scenarios. Whenever I found the key I never got to use it in 50+ games because there wasn't an opportunity to do so.

The Rope, as I recall, allowed climbing up the Coal Chute, the Collapsed Landing from the tile with "Below Collapsed Room" marker, and climbing from the Ballroom to the Statuary Corridor based on the special rules on the tiles (may jump from the Statuary Corridor into the Ballroom if it's revealed). It saw occasional use in my 50+ games but most of the time people were wishing for something more useful.

The Toy Monkey wound out being more annoying than helpful. It seemed to impede the Heroes progress more than it helped when the Traitor is revealed. One time, however, it inflicted a fatal wound on the traitor which led to a lot of laughter at the table.

The Druidic Charm is sometimes helpful. The Mystic Coin is useful.

Anyway, I hope that helps you make a decision regarding the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Strayer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Skeleton Key opens the Vault, too, according to its card, so that ought to make it more useful.

Music Box is a cool idea, but since the dropper has to roll too my group tended not to use it. Always seemed too dangerous for the Heroes, and the Traitor typically has better abilities available.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.