10 Posts

War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Separating smeagol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says:
Smeagol may be separated from the fellowship as any other companion, but he is discarded if this happens.
If Smeagol is level 3, can you separate him together with Merry and move them 3 regions? (and then discard Smeagol of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's a clever one.

I would say Smeagol is immediately discarded when separating and therefore not available to move from the location of the Fellowship. Consequently you can't use his level for the movement allowance.

But I can't 100% rule out the other interpretation from the wording of the rules, so I'd wait for confirmation from the official experts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your interpretation makes sense. Separating and moving are distinct events.

arrrh i like finding edge cases like this in games. This is the only one i found so far. The 2nd edition is a real improvement compared to the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't say that Smeagol is "immediately" discarded when separating. Since the movement is part of the separation action, based on the rules as written I'd say that he is discarded after the movement. That being said, I'd be kind of surprised if that were the designers' intent. I think we need an official ruling on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much of thematic case for Smeagol voluntarily abandoning the Ringbearers, given how the precious draws him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Not much of thematic case for Smeagol voluntarily abandoning the Ringbearers, given how the precious draws him.

He's just making sure the fellowship is diminished before he doubles back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
Rafamir wrote:

Or he is kicked from the party.

"Smeagol, we don't want you on our team anymore. Nobody likes you. Merry, take him away!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
Rafamir wrote:

Gollum would do something sneaky like that. But while the cards say he is Smeagol, he is still a good little former hobbit?

Maybe there should be a risk to letting Smeagol leave the watchful eyes of the fellowship instead of a reward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:

I'm sure there might be some devious reasons why Smeagol might 'seemingly' abandon them at some moment if he thought it would help him in the end. He did abandon Frodo at Shelob's lair with the idea of picking off the ring after he was sucked dry.

In any case, it is a pretty clever nuance to have a hobbit get a 3 movement at some critical moment. I guess with Gollum guiding it would have to be considered a short cut rather than speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Not much of thematic case for the Free Peoples player to voluntarily separate Smeagol from the Ringbearers, given how the precious draws him.

Okay, let me restate my case. Plenty of theme for Shadow making him do mischief, but that's mostly covered by appropriate event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.