Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Eclipse is a bit more abstract and straightforward. The appeal of Mage Knight, probably comes from the fact that you're a "guy" on an adventure.. Identification is easier. Also depends who you're playing with: more geeky people tend to link it straight to the rpg aspect of the game, making it more appealing for this subgroup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mb
Are you maybe more enthusiastic about Mage Knight yourself? If you impart that enthusiasm, it's no wonder that Mage Knight gets a better response.

Or maybe it's that fantasy adventure is somewhat more mainstream than scifi conquest right now, what with Game of Thrones and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now if instead of a mageknight you where an exploration combat vessel,
spells = pyschic powers,
movement = engines
villages space stations
forts = planets
forests = asteroids,
towers = alien artifacts etc.. etc.. no your talking

mageknight 2999 ad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
imo, eclipse and mage knight are completely non-overlapping games.

play mage knight with 3 or less, eclipse for 4 or more.

there shouldnt be any situation where you need to consider one over another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Someone being more interested in one game is not implying anything negative about the other. They are not even remotely similar in game play or theme. Would you be puzzled as to why someone is more interested in Goa versus Runebound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I like both Eclipse and Mage Knight but for different reasons and different playing sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Is it because Mage Knight has far more thematic elements with which non-gamers can associate, such as defeating monsters for rewards, and the theme in general just sounds much more epic than that of Eclipse?

Maybe they are all secretly BGG aficionados and they know, before you tell them, that MK is brilliantly implemented whereas Eclipse is a great concept but the results are sort of lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
korxonthos wrote:
Is it because Mage Knight has far more thematic elements with which non-gamers can associate, such as defeating monsters for rewards, and the theme in general just sounds much more epic than that of Eclipse?

Maybe they are all secretly BGG aficionados and they know, before you tell them, that MK is brilliantly implemented whereas Eclipse is a great concept but the results are sort of lame.

You should note, though, that Eclipse is currently ranked higher by these same BGG aficionados.

Personally I like MK better, too, but that is really down to my preference in games. Eclipse is, for a type of game I usually don't enjoy that much and where I often find myself criticising the balance, somehow simply fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and oranges are both fruit; same as the tomato.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I love a good candied tomato come Halloween!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I've been playing Eclipse and it's growing on me. I think the way the action discs and the income system are a great implementation. The more planets you have, the more it costs to support them, and different planets will give you different kinds of income. It's pretty clever how the bits represent that.

Of course, the best thing about Eclipse, is that it kind of *feels* like an epic 4x battle slog, but is in fact a limited action VP-driven efficiency game. That's probably annoying to people who would prefer the slog, but it's neat how they managed to get economic expansion, ship customization, and combat all tucked into a very short play time.

Mage Knight has the same sort thing going on. It looks like a freewheeling adventure game, but is actually an intricate sort of puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
These kids don't even know about the BBG community, and how would kids even have enough money to support BBG?

No one mentioned supporting BGG, or BBG for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noon wrote:
Of course, the best thing about Eclipse, is that it kind of *feels* like an epic 4x battle slog, but is in fact a limited action VP-driven efficiency game.

I fear that it's in fact a popularity contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noon wrote:
Of course, the best thing about Eclipse, is that it kind of *feels* like an epic 4x battle slog, but is in fact a limited action VP-driven efficiency game.

I find Space Empires: 4X a superior game for exactly this reason. It is truly a 4X game, and fits the theme better IMHO if you want space combat with hidden information. It probably is a better comparison to Mage Knight (although it is still a stretch) -- at least the best games of Space Empires: 4X tend to be 1-2 players, like Mage Knight. Eclipse, as others have noted, is best with more players, but even then IMHO falls short. It's a great game, but not as great as Mage Knight or Space Empires: 4X IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.