Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in Mage Wars, but my concern is that I don't think I know anyone who'd be interested in it enough to buy their own copy and make their own spellbooks.

How is this game assuming I'll be the only person who owns it, and most likely will be playing against people with little to no experience and who need to construct a spellbook on the spot from my cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like any LCG. You can play with the preconstucted decks, or you can make the decks for them and have them play.

You don't want people doing the building as they are learning. Just give them a deck and let them go.

If they are like my friends, they'll go out the next day and buy the game so you only have to worry about it the first time you play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely want to give casual players a preconstructed spellbook. If you're going to play more than one game a session it would be appropriate to let them make minor changes for the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I defiantly don't see it being an issue, as I'm in a similar boat. As people have said, you can use the pre-constructed decks, or even make your own.

The biggest issue is if you play a lot more games than everyone you play against. This game has a solid learning curve, and you grow a lot as a player with each play. If you are constantly playing new people, you're going to get really good and it's going to lose some fun for you.

To counter that though, I'd submit the following two thoughts. First, if you play it with people enough to get that much better than them, you've probably gotten a fair return on your investment. Further, it is such a great game that I really feel that at least some (if not most) of your gamer friends are going to love it, and while they may not buy it, they will gladly play your copy on a frequent basis. This should keep them at a close enough level to you to make it competative and fun for you.

Just grind through that first game. It gets awesome after that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of grinding through the first play: I just finished a 7 hour game yesterday, with a guy that really wanted to learn the game, but has severe AP.

He is excited; wants to make his own book and play again. I'm just going to set him up with other new players, as I just about lost it waiting for him to pick his spells. I got a book, and would read it during his turns (seriously).

Having just one copy could be problematic if you ever play 4 player; you can make 4 books, but if you want to all build your own book, you might be fighting over the same cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Speaking of grinding through the first play: I just finished a 7 hour game yesterday, with a guy that really wanted to learn the game, but has severe AP.

He is excited; wants to make his own book and play again. I'm just going to set him up with other new players, as I just about lost it waiting for him to pick his spells. I got a book, and would read it during his turns (seriously).

I'm considering getting a sand-timer for timed variant to keep things moving during shorter gaming sessions. Maybe 3 minutes to prepare spells for turn or something. Once you know what you're doing and have some strategies in your head should be enough time?
And is easy to justify thematically as well - this is supposed to be representing a fast-flowing battle between mages. You haven't got time to sit and plan carefully when there's enchanted bears and fireballs flying around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, everyone should have their own cards.
A big strategy element is not knowing what your opponent has in their spell book. Having that level of knowledge can lead to people holding back in anticipation of when the spells they are waiting for hit the table.

The game is still playable and works fine casually.

But if you want to take it to a serious competitive level, I recommend having everyone bring their own cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing whether it was actually necessary, a friend and I jumped in and each bought a copy of the game - and now we can't imagine having to share one.

We each have access to all spells, and can build spellbooks in complete secrecy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
Without knowing whether it was actually necessary, a friend and I jumped in and each bought a copy of the game - and now we can't imagine having to share one.

We each have access to all spells, and can build spell books in complete secrecy.

Same thing for me and my GF. We have purchased two of everything, one for me and one for her. And we even live together.

One advice if you are going to only have core box would be to get the extra spell books so that you can have each mage prepped and ready to go.

After both players are familiar enough with the game, you can perhaps draft the surplus cards in the box before a game to make some variations in the pre made decks and then just reset after the game is done. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play casually with 2 other people and I am the only owner. I have base set and forcemaster v warlord. We've only been using the apprentice spellbooks to learn the game, and next we will use the full pre-constructed spellbooks. Each of us has a specific mage we like to use so it works out well...I'll have to see which cards we are short on then buy a core spell tome when we construct the full spellbooks.

My friends aren't dedicated enough with playing to worry about building their own spellbooks atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Downs
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
jorum wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

I'm considering getting a sand-timer for timed variant to keep things moving during shorter gaming sessions. Maybe 3 minutes to prepare spells for turn or something. Once you know what you're doing and have some strategies in your head should be enough time?
And is easy to justify thematically as well - this is supposed to be representing a fast-flowing battle between mages. You haven't got time to sit and plan carefully when there's enchanted bears and fireballs flying around.

A stopwatch app on your phone/ipad would work well too. I plan on getting this game very soon, but know I would suffer from taking FOREVER to pick my spells, so I want to give a time limit so as not to drive my friends away from this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And is easy to justify thematically as well - this is supposed to be representing a fast-flowing battle between mages. You haven't got time to sit and plan carefully when there's enchanted bears and fireballs
flying around.

To heck with a sand timer, I getting a shock collar. *ZZZZT*, well lookie there, he got his two spells picked out lickity-split. . .

Amazing how fast AP people can take their turn when they feel your pain. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Quote:
And is easy to justify thematically as well - this is supposed to be representing a fast-flowing battle between mages. You haven't got time to sit and plan carefully when there's enchanted bears and fireballs
flying around.

To heck with a sand timer, I getting a shock collar. *ZZZZT*, well lookie there, he got his two spells picked out lickity-split. . .

Amazing how fast AP people can take their turn when they feel your pain. whistle

(Runs out to car and drives to pet store with money in hand.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but the people I play with stopped barking too. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short of the shock collar, when at least you get to laugh at them falling off their seat... what do people do when the 'time' runs out? Tell people you're seriously impatient? That you'd like them to hurry up? Swallow their QC marker (I mean they cant cast quickly when it takes them that long to choose can they? Insist that they play with all 6 of the cards in front of them that they can't choose between?

I think the mechanic (a timer approach) is fine, but I think it needs more ummm context to work properly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.