Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Story:

My kids pooled their money together and bought this game without even telling me - that was a first! (They did it through Mom) Anyway, it just showed up yesterday (4/13/13) morning, and we put it on the table immediately to play one full round. (Can't dedicate time to the whole thing because we have a 6-player game of Civ set up , and A&A: 1914 would have to be set up on the protective board over the top of Civ. Can't have that plugged up like that for too long).

So my point of view comes from having no money in the game, and no expectations since I have not followed any of the ongoing developments of the game.

I thought the changes they made to the system to roughly approximate WWI were pretty brilliant ... for Axis and Allies style gaming. Before the game arrived I had no idea how they were going to do that, and after only one round I love it. I only expect the game to play well as a game and give a flavor of WWI - and this is exactly the level to which Hasbro is marketing, so my fellow "real wargamers" need to go back to Paths of Glory if they are have concerns about realism and such.

What I liked:

I thought the rules were far clearer that the other A&A games I've played (MB 1984, Hasbro 1942 edition, and A&A: BotB). When I got done with one pass, I barely looked at the book again.

I thought that the one attack/defense per round of combat was a great way to simulate the stalemate of trench warfare.

I thought the rule requiring 1 infantry in each occupied area was brilliant in its simplicity.

I think the air rules are well done and not too overpowered.

The little boxes for the components are beautiful.

The map projection was odd at first, but it grew on me.

Normally I despise dark maps, but the contrasts were well done, and my eyes thought it looked and worked very well - and the 12 year olds like that dark, serious look.

Now what I didn't like:

No money? Boo! Don't make us spend $85 and then tell us to keep track on paper. We used poker chips.

Too few infantry units. Love the infantry in every occupied area rule, but again, if we're spending $85, can we have a few cents-worth more plastic in the box?

Production track in the Sahara. Once everyone's counters are stacked in there, it's a nightmare to check and see what the nations' production rates are. I like the old style A&A one with a separate board and lots of numbered spaces to place them in.

Not enough mini-poker chips to comfortably mark mutiples of units. This seems to be a standard for Hasbro, so I have a bucket-o-mini-chips in my game room for whenever we play an A&A game.

Final Verdict

Definitely buy it, but wait for it to hit the online discounters. Do not pay full retail for this game - Hasbro ought to be ashamed of themselves for the skimping they did on the figs, no separate production track, shorting the chips, etc. Many have suggested picking up an additional 5 Infantry for each army ... that's $20 plus shipping from HBG. It would have added cents to the production cost of the game to put them in the box like they should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your review! I bought that game at a 91 Euro price tag, but I refrain from playing it, just because of the material shortage issue. As I don't think that Hasborg's policy is publishing expansion sets, that leaves me buying a second copy.
I'm not sure if I really want to do this ... angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Thanks for your review! I bought that game at a 91 Euro price tag, but I refrain from playing it, just because of the material shortage issue. As I don't think that Hasborg's policy is publishing expansion sets, that leaves me buying a second copy.
I'm not sure if I really want to do this ... angry

You can get aftermarket parts for all A&A games, including 1914, here:

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Except they're already sold out of Germans and chips, the very things everyone needs more of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Louis.

It seems like just about everybody agrees on:

1) Not enough units, Infantry specifically (German even more specifically)

2) Not having paper money. Just sucks.

3) The IPC tracker in Sahara is useless

4) Bigger spaces on the western front would have been nice

5) Love the trench war aspect and specifically the one round of battle

6) Tanks are not useless and are actually WORTH purchasing.

7) Rulebook may or may not be good. Just depends on who you ask.

8) Do not purchase this game at MSRP of $100!!

9) Thank heavens for HBG!

10) Max's Advanced Rules for Axis and Allies: 1914 will be out in 2014!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:
Thanks for the review Louis.

It seems like just about everybody agrees on:

1) Not enough units, Infantry specifically (German even more specifically)

2) Not having paper money. Just sucks.

3) The IPC tracker in Sahara is useless

4) Bigger spaces on the western front would have been nice

5) Love the trench war aspect and specifically the one round of battle

6) Tanks are not useless and are actually WORTH purchasing.

7) Rulebook may or may not be good. Just depends on who you ask.

8) Do not purchase this game at MRSP of $100!!

9) Thank heavens for HBG!

10) Max's Advanced Rules for Axis and Allies: 1914 will be out in 2014!
...or to be short: half a game for twice the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
...or to be short: half a game for twice the price.

I guess that sums it up pretty good angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
lgoldberg wrote:
The Story:

My kids pooled their money together and bought this game without even telling me - that was a first! (They did it through Mom) Anyway, it just showed up yesterday (4/13/13) morning, and we put it on the table immediately to play one full round. (Can't dedicate time to the whole thing because we have a 6-player game of Civ set up , and A&A: 1914 would have to be set up on the protective board over the top of Civ. Can't have that plugged up like that for too long).

So my point of view comes from having no money in the game, and no expectations since I have not followed any of the ongoing developments of the game.

I thought the changes they made to the system to roughly approximate WWI were pretty brilliant ... for Axis and Allies style gaming. Before the game arrived I had no idea how they were going to do that, and after only one round I love it. I only expect the game to play well as a game and give a flavor of WWI - and this is exactly the level to which Hasbro is marketing, so my fellow "real wargamers" need to go back to Paths of Glory if they are have concerns about realism and such.

What I liked:

I thought the rules were far clearer that the other A&A games I've played (MB 1984, Hasbro 1942 edition, and A&A: BotB). When I got done with one pass, I barely looked at the book again.

I thought that the one attack/defense per round of combat was a great way to simulate the stalemate of trench warfare.

I thought the rule requiring 1 infantry in each occupied area was brilliant in its simplicity.

I think the air rules are well done and not too overpowered.

The little boxes for the components are beautiful.

The map projection was odd at first, but it grew on me.

Normally I despise dark maps, but the contrasts were well done, and my eyes thought it looked and worked very well - and the 12 year olds like that dark, serious look.

Now what I didn't like:

No money? Boo! Don't make us spend $85 and then tell us to keep track on paper. We used poker chips.

Too few infantry units. Love the infantry in every occupied area rule, but again, if we're spending $85, can we have a few cents-worth more plastic in the box?

Production track in the Sahara. Once everyone's counters are stacked in there, it's a nightmare to check and see what the nations' production rates are. I like the old style A&A one with a separate board and lots of numbered spaces to place them in.

Not enough mini-poker chips to comfortably mark mutiples of units. This seems to be a standard for Hasbro, so I have a bucket-o-mini-chips in my game room for whenever we play an A&A game.

Final Verdict

Definitely buy it, but wait for it to hit the online discounters. Do not pay full retail for this game - Hasbro ought to be ashamed of themselves for the skimping they did on the figs, no separate production track, shorting the chips, etc. Many have suggested picking up an additional 5 Infantry for each army ... that's $20 plus shipping from HBG. It would have added cents to the production cost of the game to put them in the box like they should have.

Just a heads up, something you should know, there are great player-made production tracks (better than I've seen made for any other games). On the top they have the turn and list what changes happen when (off the top of my head, just turn 4 tanks and America come in), and on the left they show play order, top down. You might also find the 'save' sheets very useful in your situation. It's 8 pages long, but it's a preset sheet for recording all of the information you could need to 'save' your game so that you can set it up later at the same point you left off, without leaving it set up.

And poker chips are a good idea, but we just stole money from older games of axis and allies. I've read that someone used monopoly money, but I can easily imagine running out of 1s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
Jan van der Laan wrote:
...or to be short: half a game for twice the price.[/q]

yeah, but the game itself is so good that I wouldn't tell anyone to wait. If you already have another axis and allies game, most of the shortcomings can be fixed by just borrowing pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but I think I'll take a pass on this one. If they ever come up with a second edition with some things corrected and improved graphics (sorry, but that map is just friggin ugglyyy) but otherwise I'll probably just skip it and not feel bad at all if it goes out of print forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
Except they're already sold out of Germans and chips, the very things everyone needs more of...

Still a stock out on German infantry which means buying the mixed packs at $9.95 each, which contain just thee infantry units from what I can see. Having toted up two of these packs plus a few infantry for France, Britain (only 2 units left, by the way)and Russia only plus postage to the UK it all adds up to about ££40.

For £65 at Amazon you get a whole new game so a lot more minis for EVERY army, a spare board and more dice. Why would I buy a handful of spares from HBG at these prices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:
Angry Martian wrote:

Still a stock out on German infantry which means buying the mixed packs at $9.95 each, which contain just thee infantry units from what I can see. Having toted up two of these packs plus a few infantry for France, Britain (only 2 units left, by the way)and Russia only plus postage to the UK it all adds up to about ££40.

For £65 at Amazon you get a whole new game so a lot more minis for EVERY army, a spare board and more dice. Why would I buy a handful of spares from HBG at these prices?

You wouldn't and I wouldn't either. I have a copy of A&A '14 and I've trotted it out for a play. If you're willing to put blue chips in red chip stacks (red on top) and vice versa and to put National Control Markers on top of stacks instead of infantry when you run out of same you can almost get by. But you shouldn't have to resort to such measures when 10-20 more chips and 16-24 more infantry would solve most of the problems. Instead, I feel a real need to get a second copy to have enough pieces. While I intend to figure out an expansion out of the extra map parts, I shouldn't have to buy the game twice to get the full game once.

Mainly, I just wish Hasbro/WotC/AH weren't such penny-pinchers when it comes to adding the necessary number of pieces to their A&A line-up, especially the last two: 1941 and 1914.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.