Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
My group recently decided to FINALLY play the copy of Merchants and Marauders that has been sitting on the shelf, dauntingly waiting to be learned and tried out.

Each of the four of us went to the effort of learning the rules seperately and bring that knowledge to the table in case there was confusion (something we don't always do, but with a game of this level we felt it would be a big benefit) and started playing. There was a lot of moving about and upgrading our ships for a while, with some missions getting claimed here and there.

One player, Stu, seemed to have a bit of a good run going, with some good money stashed in his treasure chest and he'd just gotten himself a Frigate. There was a lot of dancing about one another and no combat between players yet, but it looked like I was about to make the first move, risk a dash towards Stu's Frigate to try to sink it, thus setting him back big time on his path to victory, and I thought I could pull it off.

It came around to Stu's turn, with me going next. I was hoping that he would move one space closer to me so I could attack him and have a move action to spare. But instead, Stu moved into the space next to another player and performed his theatrical masterpiece: Stu tore open his purple hoody to reveal a black Jolly Roger T-Shirt, pulled an old school Pirate hat out from a bag under the table and placed a toy talking parrot on his shoulder. He stood up and pointed his finger at Adam, the player he had moved to, and challenged him to combat.

Not only did his amazing costume transformation give us all a laugh, it also turned him into a vicious murdering pirate for the rest of the game, which it must be mentioned, was only three turns. He destroyed Adam, was attacked by the NPC Man-O-War (which he defeated and claimed) and came for me to get his last point. It was a complete powerplay and he destroyed everyone.

To top it off, he had a bag of those chocolate Gold coins, which he revealed when he won and said that he'd share the spoils of war with those he conquered. It was hilarious!

Every game we play with Stu now involves us hoping that he is wearing his purple hoody, to hide some kind of costume trick. He has said that he will do something special another time, when we least expect it...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL

Awesome!
My son used to dress up in his Captain jack Sparrow costume every time we'd play this.
Funny stuff.
I need to get me a parrot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10/10, that sounds magical. Time to start planning my own costume trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why we never took a photo of him, but I'll see if he can be persuaded to kit out in the garb again for a rematch and if that happens I'll be sure to post it up here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Getreuer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just aquired this game not long ago, and I remembered that I actually do have a Jolly Roger T-shirt. Your tale have inspired me, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laerfan wrote:
I don't know why we never took a photo of him, but I'll see if he can be persuaded to kit out in the garb again for a rematch and if that happens I'll be sure to post it up here.

Until then, we'll have to make do with this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Until then, we'll have to make do with this:

Hahaha, Stu was both scarier and funny at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Things People like this are why I miss Dublin soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great. We were actually going to play Merchants again this weekend, but Stu couldn't play so it all seemed pointless! Other things were played instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome! His pirate shirt must have given him crazy skills. I can only imagine if he had revealed the shirt, declared pirateness, and then... lost and sunk to the bottom of the sea.

Actually, that would have been cool, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.