United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I got the game, I spent three hours putting on all the stickers and put them all into one large bag. Next day, we played our first game and I think I spent 20 minutes looking for the ding-danged Roman light bow infantry.

To mimimize this problem in the future I decided to bag pieces in small ziplock bags. Here is the grouping I came up with that seems to work well. It makes it easy to find each type of unit and as they are removed from the game easy to put back in bags. I use four ziplock bags for each side. I include a small card with the units and their totals listed in each bag. And yes, this should be cross-posted to the OCD geeklist . . .

Here is the mix I decided on that works for me. The best part is that each type is a diffent color AND they are in logical groupings. Makes set-up a breeze.

ROME
Bag 1
Victory Markers
Leaders
War Machines
Elephants
Heavy Chariots
Light Bow Infantry
Light Sling Infantry

Bag 2 - (I may need to go to a bigger bag for this one as at present they barely all fit)
Light Cavalry
Medium Cavalry
Heavy Cavalry

Bag 3
Light Infantry
Medium Infantry
Heavy Infantry

Bag 4
Warrior Infantry
Ausilia Infantry

Carthage
Bag 1
Victory Markers
Leaders
Elephants
Heavy Chariots
Light Bow Infantry
Light Sling Infantry

Bag 2
Light Cavalry
Medium Cavalry
Heavy Cavalry

Bag 3
Light Infantry
Medium Infantry
Heavy Infantry

Bag 4
Warrior Infantry
Ausilia Infantry

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did basically the same thing but broke it down even further than you did. Most small block units get their own bags... Medium block units (the Cavalry) end up in two bags per side but I'm thinking about going to three bags. The big blocks, leaders and victory banners all go one bag per side.

Bagging the blocks (or buying a sorting box of some kind) is a must for this game if you want to get set up and playing in a reasonable amount of time.

Great game, by the way...

-- Kimbo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized, before playing my first game, that the sheer number of blocks and block type would cause serious delays when I would set up a scenario.

I basically put no more than 1 size of blocks per bag, combining different types of size: ex1: auxilia, light cavalry, elephants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Ferrency
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started by bagging everything, almost every unit had its own small bag.
After setting up and tearing down one game, I decided this would never fly.

I stopped at a local department store and picked up 2 Plano 4-24 section tackle boxes, and sorted the pieces into those. They fit into the game box with enough space around the sides for the cards and terrain pieces (vertically). The map and papers go underneath. The boxes are taller than the box, but the lid holds everything together just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bagging system...

Cards, dice, and victory tokens: each got their own baggie.

Roman and Carthage baggie for each of the following:
Leaders, Chariots, and Elephants as a group
All Cavalry
All Heavy Infantry/War Machines
All Medium Infantry
All Light Infantry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dayley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every type of Roman and Carthage unit has its own bag. Roman Light Infrantry 1 bag, etc...

Except Elephants, Chariots and Leaders. They all go in one bag. But still separated by Roman and Carthage.

Lots of bags. Very easy to find the unit you need for set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also went with the "one bag per each unit" system, using different size bags to accommodate larger groups or blocks.

What I think will really help is that I found some round colored stickers at WalMart (in the school supplies section) that come in red, blue, green, and yellow.

I put a colored sticker on each bag to match the contents, and put the stickers on the right side of the bag for romans (Right-Roman) and the left side for Carthage. So with a quick look you can see color and side- (even faster than seeing the color of blocks or what's on the sticker.

I'll go with this for awhile and see-- There are 5 classes of green (but one is cavalry, so that's easy). If it helps, I'll put a 2 letter abbreviation on the sticker for unit type.
Lt
Ax
Bw
SL

The only other possible label area would be blue infantry

Wa
Md

Right now I have a larger bag in there with all the Romans in it-- so in a heartbeat one player can take that bag and the other player the rest of the box and start pulling stuff out.

Any ideas to improve on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagging is pretty much mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out with ziploc bags, but I found a couple plastic containers in the craft section (next to the beads) at my local Wal-Mart that I think work even better. They are about 5" x 7" and 1-3/4" deep. They are divided into seven compartments (basically into eighths of the whole, but one compartment is double-wide). They fit easily in the box, leaving room around the sides for the dice, cards and terrain.

This is how I organized my blocks:

Roman Box
1-Medium Infantry
2-Medium Cavalry, Warrior Infantry
3-Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Infantry
4-Light Infantry
5-Chariots, Elephants, Leaders, War Machines, Victory Banners*
6-Light Cavalry, Light Bows, Light Slings
7-Auxilia Infantry

Carthaginian Box
1-Medium Cavalry, Medium Infantry
2-Warrior Infantry, Light Bows, Light Slings
3-Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Infantry
4-Light Infantry
5-Chariots, Elephants, Leaders, Victory Banners*
6-Light Cavalry
7-Auxilia Infantry

*These are in the double-wide compartment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic containers at Wally-World, check back in the fishing/tackle box section. All kinds of storage containers, lots to choose from. Most of them have dividers you can move around in them. I usually grab some everytime I get a new game. Usually priced around $3-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bag my units per type, mixing Carthaginians and Romans.
For an example, I have a Light Cavalry baggie : you immediatly find the Romand LC (or Carthaginian), because of the distinctive colour of the blocks.
If one can go over the psychological restrain about mixing enemies in the same bag - what can they do when you close the box and they are left to speak together in the dark ? - this increases the time of unit selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll throw in my 2 cents:

5 Glad-Lock Zipper Freezer (quart size) Bags, for easy viewing.

I've combined both Roman and Carthaginians Units in each bag

#1 Leaders, VB's, Elephants, Chariots, and War machines
#2 Cavalry
#3 Medium / Heavy Infantry
#4 Warrior & Auxilia Infantry (white border)
#5 Light Infantry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maksim Smelchak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

My friend, Dick, bought a tackle box type storage unit that fits neatly into his box... contains everything and he even labelled it in true "Geek" fashion... only cost him $2.00 as well!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the same method as Robin. It is easier to tell the difference between Romans and Carthaginians than it is to tell the difference between Light Infantry and Slingers. Still leaves a lot of baggies, but if you do set-up (and break-down) cooperatively, it goes quickly.

I used the small baggies that come in other GMT games for banners, dice, and the unit types with only 6 total blocks. Sandwich size baggies for the rest.

I will probably put stickers on the bags to identify the unit type, particularly for the light foot units, but haven't felt the need yet. The bag of Elephants or Leaders is pretty obvious without one.

I have also found that the board, when folded in the box, leaves a margin wide enough for the cards and terrain tiles to stand up on one edge. With all of the unit baggies put on top of the board, they tend to stay in place. Rules and such rest on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.