Subject: How many different units are there? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we have info on numbers of punch-boards, etc... know that, for instance "SS" are a stretch-goal addition, etc... but how many different units are there at different levels?

As a miniatures gamer, I know some of the sweetest parts of the hobby are list building. The more diverse units there are, the more possible scenarios can organically emerge, etc...

So do we have any sense of how many different units exist in the core box? Expansions? Etc...?

I'd LOVE a more detailed discussion on list-building in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that units can not be combined freely. The little coloured stripes on the side of the counter indicate the squad they belong to. Every squad has a basic set of units for which you buy extra/support units. Some of the stuff seems be neutral but most units can only be used in a given squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
Note that units can not be combined freely. The little coloured stripes on the side of the counter indicate the squad they belong to. Every squad has a basic set of units for which you buy extra/support units. Some of the stuff seems be neutral but most units can only be used in a given squad.

Hmmm... well, I hope the "neutral" units are in abundance. I think the more freedom we're afforded in list-building, the better.

Dust Warfare is a personal favorite, however, and does have broad restrictions as it seems HoN does. That said, there are sometimes a dozen units you can have in a given "slot".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hop ! Here i am...
In the base box you have 4 infantry platoons (2 US and 2 Germans).
Each one is made on the same model (1 team = 1 token):
1 recruitment tile with 1 officer and 3 to 4 teams (fire, recon, support, MG42) with 2 large slots (A is only for infantry option, B is free) and 2 small slots C & D (both free).

each tile has 3 infantry options with 3 to 4 teams(fire, recon, support, MG42) --> large slots A or B

You can add options(Some of this otpions aren't in the base game.):
Heavy vehicles : large slot B
Light vehicles and guns : small slot C or D
Heavy weapons (mortar, .30 cal, etc.) : small slot C or D
Traits and equipment : : small slot C or D

You also have 2 captain tiles with 1 large slot (free) and 2 small (both free).

This is how sections and platoons are articulated. Now from tiles to tiles some changes can occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
ckremer2 wrote:

Hmmm... well, I hope the "neutral" units are in abundance. I think the more freedom we're afforded in list-building, the better.

Dust Warfare is a personal favorite, however, and does have broad restrictions as it seems HoN does. That said, there are sometimes a dozen units you can have in a given "slot".

Let us try to remember that this is a WW2 game, and that each country had base organizational structures that they followed. Obviously man and equipment shortages could cause variations, but an infantry platoon never had a tank in it. A tank platoon didn't get an infantry machinegun squad.

At the level this game seems to represent, the player is a platoon leader - company commander. He/she is going to have they types of units that those organizations had, AND be given some allocation of support assets (not organic to his unit) from 'higher' with which to accomplish his/her mission.

Having somewhat realistic (M)TOEs as a starting point for unit composition is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Clem, Thank you for the response. I know this isn't a miniatures game in the strictest sense, but army-building is such a central facet to the genre that it really feels good to see it clarified.

@Jake, I absolutely understand and agree. Seeing the KS video and hearing from Clem, it seems army-building is almost precisely the way it is handled in Dust... something I say as a compliment.

As it stands, I am soooo in love with what I am seeing from HoN. It resembles Dust in many ways, which is my favorite miniature game from the last 30 years. In fact, it looks like a version of Dust Warfare that I can get to the table more often due to it being just a hair simpler, etc...

That all said, my own personal struggle is still wrestling with the idea of how many more Dust miniatures I could buy for the same money. It isn't a question of value, so much as I just personally can't decide which I want more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
@Clem, Thank you for the response. I know this isn't a miniatures game in the strictest sense, but army-building is such a central facet to the genre that it really feels good to see it clarified.

@Jake, I absolutely understand and agree. Seeing the KS video and hearing from Clem, it seems army-building is almost precisely the way it is handled in Dust... something I say as a compliment.

As it stands, I am soooo in love with what I am seeing from HoN. It resembles Dust in many ways, which is my favorite miniature game from the last 30 years. In fact, it looks like a version of Dust Warfare that I can get to the table more often due to it being just a hair simpler, etc...

That all said, my own personal struggle is still wrestling with the idea of how many more Dust miniatures I could buy for the same money. It isn't a question of value, so much as I just personally can't decide which I want more.

Personally, while I loved Dust, I sold off my collection because of the cost.
No matter how many sets I bought, there always seemed to be one more to buy. Not too mention the space it took up, and the fact that I started painting mine. Yes they looked ok out of the box. But no wargame is complete without pretty colors.

This is more an all in one purchase for me. So theres that. Yeah I can get a boatload of other stuff. Including the Drake KS, or more Rivet Wars minis, or more Uncharted Seas, etc etc.
But this is a new game I dont have yet, and I get a massive amount of options for the price. And with that Ill not have much need for more units for some time.
Itll take up far less space than the other wargames I have.
And it already has plenty of pretty colors.

Just thought maybe those thoughts would help from an Ex-Dust player / collector.
Yeah, you could get more figs of a game you already own.
OR, you can get a whole new game with a massive amount of units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

No matter how many sets I bought, there always seemed to be one more to buy. Not too mention the space it took up, and the fact that I started painting mine. Yes they looked ok out of the box. But no wargame is complete without pretty colors.

This is more an all in one purchase for me. So theres that. Yeah I can get a boatload of other stuff. Including the Drake KS, or more Rivet Wars minis, or more Uncharted Seas, etc etc.
But this is a new game I dont have yet, and I get a massive amount of options for the price. And with that Ill not have much need for more units for some time.

Just thought maybe those thoughts would help from an Ex-Dust player / collector.

Well the difference is that I have no intention of being an Ex-Dust player. If I back this game or not, i'll continue buying and painting Dust as it is legitimately my favorite game in the genre.

I'm surprised price put you off. Space constraints I obviously get, but $200 worth of Dust is A LOT of game, and a lot of options. In fact, Dust is about the most affordable miniatures game you'll ever see, at that scale.

Don't get me started on Rivet Wars... I've never once questioned the heart of Heroes of Normadie. It is obviously a brilliant little game, and doesn't pretend to not resemble Dust in some ways (hell, it embraces it, and I say good on them). Rivet Wars was an excuse to part people with their money, IMO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
ropya wrote:
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

Well the difference is that I have no intention of being an Ex-Dust player. If I back this game or not, i'll continue buying and painting Dust as it is legitimately my favorite game in the genre.

I'm surprised price put you off. Space constraints I obviously get, but $200 worth of Dust is A LOT of game, and a lot of options. In fact, Dust is about the most affordable miniatures game you'll ever see, at that scale.

Don't get me started on Rivet Wars... I've never once questioned the heart of Heroes of Normadie. It is obviously a brilliant little game, and doesn't pretend to not resemble Dust in some ways (hell, it embraces it, and I say good on them). Rivet Wars was an excuse to part people with their money, IMO...

I meant no offense. Lol.
Not sure if thats your tone or not.

My thing with Dust was it looked to be another endless game.
Ala Warhammer 40k.
Dont get me wrong, the price for Dust is great, especially coming down from a WH40k high.
The game amazing and very fun.
Just wasnt for me in the end I suppose with play vs infinite expansion.
Or my impression of such. Im a completionist at heart and all that.

Think I sold off my collection which had 2 coffins and one of each of the unit sets at the time right before the Super Heavies came out.
Brought in over $500 IIRC.
I used that to fund STACKS of other games at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ropya. No offense taken man. I am enthusiastic about Dust is all. I feel a little protective of the game as it is so good, and yet so woefully under-appreciated. I've converted many a WH40k player to it, and yet people who haven't tried it.... don't.

And yes... as a collector, I feel your pain. I own one of every single Dust release, at all times, and still feel like I need seconds or thirds of many of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
@Ropya. No offense taken man. I am enthusiastic about Dust is all. I feel a little protective of the game as it is so good, and yet so woefully under-appreciated. I've converted many a WH40k player to it, and yet people who haven't tried it.... don't.

And yes... as a collector, I feel your pain. I own one of every single Dust release, at all times, and still feel like I need seconds or thirds of many of them.

No worries.
Believe me, I understand the draw of Dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.