11 Posts

Village Inn» Forums » General

Subject: Game board overlays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do people generally feel about the graveyard and chronicle overview for 5 players?

I was thinking about making stickers and stick them on the main board (in case we're 5 but - for any number of reasons - don't feel like brewing beer and giving it to others )

Has anyone had similar thoughts?

Has anyone acted upon them (if so, please share how you feel about the result).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use stickers on the board, won't that prevent you playing the standard game ever again? If that is the case, I'd have to say its a ridiculous idea.

Perhaps the question should be, whats the advantage of the stickers compared to the overlays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I make a grave sticker with a tomb stone marked with a 5 I can keep playing 2, 3 or 4-player games.

It would suffice to fill the 5th-player grave with an unused fameeple.

Same for the chronicle.

(I'd never make a huge inn sticker and add that to my board, if that is what you mean. That would probably work a lot less well than a tiny grave marked 5 sticker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you saying that you just put stickers on the graveyard and Chronical and forget the Brewery and Inn and just play the standard game but with 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the fancy strikes me, yes.

I mean ... imagine having 5 players in a room, some who've never played Village before.

Are you gonna use the expansion on them immediately? Seems hardly fair (especially if they've little experience in eurogames).

I'd rather use tiny stickers to add the extra slots to the graveyard and the chronicle.

That way we'd be able to enjoy a base game with 5 players.

(Same way Carcassonne introduced meeples for the sixth player only during their I&C-expansion, however you're not obligated to play with I&C to include a 6th player. You can have 6 players and enjoy the base game only)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Just a heads up though. You are introducing an extra player and not the additional 2 buildings created to balance this. You might find the squeeze on the standard buildings makes this a very different (and not necessarily better) experience from playing with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you check the expansion's component list you'll see it contains 3 set-up cards.

Why would they add 3 set-up cards?

Don't you see?

The expansion will work both ways.

2 set-up cards (back and front) containing seeding instructions for 2-, 3- and 4-player games with inn.

1 set-up card containing seeding instructions for a 5-player game with (front) and without (back) inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bobson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Just a heads up though. You are introducing an extra player and not the additional 2 buildings created to balance this. You might find the squeeze on the standard buildings makes this a very different (and not necessarily better) experience from playing with 4.

Just to clarify this, the expansion has been designed so you can play the game with 5 players without the Inn and Brewery sections.

The new graveyard and chronicle fit nicely on the board over the old ones, but if you want to play with the Inn and Brewery, then the new chronicle and graveyard have a frame that you slot together to make the chronicle and graveyard 'squared off'. I've got a photo that makes this a bit more obvious.

(Sorry for making you turn your heads!)

To place it on the board, take the edging away, and then the new chronicle fits over the old one on the board, without overlapping the score chart etc.

It's a very nice way of going about it, and negates the need for stickers etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the overlays from the UK version of the expansion fit seamlessly over the original game board from the Tasty Minstrels version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Will the overlays from the UK version of the expansion fit seamlessly over the original game board from the Tasty Minstrels version?

UK version? They're all being printed at the same place, TM are importing english copies and having a dragon nailed to the front of the box.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
freddieyu wrote:

UK version? They're all being printed at the same place, TM are importing english copies and having a dragon nailed to the front of the box.

B>

Thanks! Will be getting Village Inn in England when I visit there next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.