Subject: O Zoo Le Mio or Through The Desert!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
I am looking to get one or both of these games. They both appeal to me because I like "tile laying", (or camel laying), I like building your own board, and I like games that scale well from 2-more. Please tell me why you like the games, and based on my current collection, which would benefit me more!

Here is what I currently own:
Carcassonne
Carcassonne Castle
Tikal
Puerto Rico
Caylus
High Society
Citadels
Tiket To Ride
Settlers of Catan
St Petersburg
Travel Blokus
Lost Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
through the desert is good in that it's a "blown open" placement game. you can do about a billion things on each turn, so the rules are like a set of guidelines, not a constraint. i like both games, but i'd go for that every time. good start you've got there with your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O Zoo Le Mio is an auction game.
Except for the variant on Tikal, I don't see any auction games listed in your collection.

If that is a conscious avoidance, take TtD. If not, then OZlM might do a better job of rounding out your collection.

It's less of a tile laying game than Carcassone because each player will only get 5-10 tiles in a game (depending on how auctions go) and each player builds his own zoo. There is interactivity in the bidding and in the fact that you are competing for the largest of each type of exhibit.

TtR has a lot of similarities to Blokus (disclaimer, I've not yet played Blokus, so this is based on my understanding of it only).

So I guess unless you aren't interested in auctions, I'd recommend OZlM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TTD is really nothing like Blokus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think you should get Through the Desert

See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/774968#774968

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
TTD is really nothing like Blokus.

Well, except that (based on my understanding of rules of Blokus and having played TtD)

1. board and pieces are completely defined before the game starts
2. no random elements after setup
3. players take turns placing their pieces
4. continuity of colors must be maintained and can be blocked off
5. supports 2-4 players
6. similar level of negotiations (he's going to XXX, if you don't YYY)
7. both considered pure abstracts by a large percentage of Geek.

Differences
1. one uses abstract shapes other uses pastel camels
2. one requires chain(s) the other only requires continuity
3. one plays one piece per turn other plays two
4. one has different areas covered on a turn other always one hex
5. one only rewards area and pieces used the other scores "bonus" points as well as area and pieces used.

I'm not trying to say that the two are exactly alike, but I think that they are much closer than "nothing like."

Out of curiosity, are there any other games on his list that you would consider being more like TtR than Blokus?

So that is why Imade my recommendation that OZlM would add more diversity to his collection than TtR.

(I'd get both, oops, wait, I already did! laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Both are great games worth owning, but I prefer TtD. It's very simple to learn, but has so many layers of strategy. It scales well and everyone I've introduced it to loves it.

O Zoo le Mio is fun and has some interesting mechanics. The rules aren't very hard to learn and it does have some room for strategy. My wife likes it a lot and so do my parents.

So, if you want a great strategy game I'd choose TtD. If you want a more social game with a decent dose of strategy thrown in, then O Zoo le Mio would be a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
which is better for 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of it's auction nature, O Zoo Le Mio is little fun with two. Through the Desert is very tactical with two, and can be heaps of fun.

Heaps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Viney
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend both.

Through the Desert is a slightly deeper in play, but still appeals to non-gamers and casual gamers. It’s not as good for younger children, because it is much more abstract. Scales extremely well from 2-5.

O Zoo Le Mio is fairly deep game, hiding behind a game that your children can play. I have played it successfully with a 7 year old. If a handicap is necessary, just start the younger players with an extra coin or two. Scales extremely well from 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
so....is Zoo bad with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.