Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the powers look through the discard pile? Some events allow you to search the discard pile and retrieve a card, but can the players look through the discard pile at any time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they can.

EDIT: Looking at the rulebook I see this is not stated anywhere, but a general rule in CDGs is that neither players know the draw pile(s), a player only knows cards in his hand (but not opponent's) and both players have knowledge of the discard, i.e. they may search through it at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I remember reading that Twilight Struggle is not a memory game ;-)
So, all discarded and removed cards are free to inspect at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Spiker
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, always, at any time for any reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This raises an ethical issue: how much time is acceptable to be spent searching the discard pile? Do the rules state a suggested time limit per turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
This raises an ethical issue: how much time is acceptable to be spent searching the discard pile? Do the rules state a suggested time limit per turn?

It's the same amount of time that contestant can use to answer the question in "Who wants to be a millionaire". Even though it's not explicitly expressed, whatever amount of time is reasonable is available.

I personally do get annoyed by slow players, because many times, they do tend to overthink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tang
msg tools
killy9999 wrote:
Yes, they can.

EDIT: Looking at the rulebook I see this is not stated anywhere, but a general rule in CDGs is that neither players know the draw pile(s), a player only knows cards in his hand (but not opponent's) and both players have knowledge of the discard, i.e. they may search through it at any time.

It's mentioned in the official FAQS:

Twilight Struggle FAQ 4.2 wrote:
Q. Is a player permitted to examine the cards in the discard pile?

A. A player may do so at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ should probably read: in Mid War, if you want to let your opponent know you have SALT Negotiations, you may look through the discard pile.

In Late War, if you want to let them know you have Star Wars, you may look through the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tang
msg tools
I sometimes look through the discard pile to check if a particular scoring card is out, or if a particular event that I'm trying to avoid has been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
BockBockChicken wrote:
I sometimes look through the discard pile to check if a particular scoring card is out, or if a particular event that I'm trying to avoid has been played.

Yes, tracking the scoring cards is very important. In fact, I believe that is how this question came up for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.