Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all really, I'm looking for a nice dining table which doubles as a board game table as well.

I am not sure if it'll be cheaper to buy and ship it frieght on a boat from the US or to hire a carpenter to make something similar in the UK.

Has anyone done anything like this in the past?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Title says it all really, I'm looking for a nice dining table which doubles as a board game table as well.

I am not sure if it'll be cheaper to buy and ship it frieght on a boat from the US or to hire a carpenter to make something similar in the UK.

Has anyone done anything like this in the past?

Do you mean a dining table with drawers underneath?

We use our dining table for meals and boardgames - it is a mahogany veneer regency repoduction design which I got off ebay with 6 chairs for £60. It is massive with a removable central leaf, and can comfortably sits 8 and 3 medium or 2 large boardgames. We quite often leave a game set up and eat at the other end of the table. We absolutely love it, it looks really smart and because it was so cheap we don't care about scratches etc so dont' use covers. This type of furniture has no re-sale value. There is no game storage, but we keep them on bookshelves or in a nearby chest.

It is the same as this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MAHOGANY-TWIN-PEDESTAL-D-E...

or this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Regency-Style-Hardwood-Din...

I would imagine a custom table would be very expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
archivists wrote:
Do you mean a dining table with drawers underneath?

I think he means the lift away top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
blunder1983 wrote:

I cannot see how it could possibly be cheaper to get it shipped over than to find a bespoke furniture maker in the UK to produce the same sort of design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll bite.

Given that the OP hasn't given any details as to his actual requirements, I have to just say that I've been remarkably successful in that every dining (or kitchen) table that I've ever bought has done a sterling job not only as a dining (or kitchen) table, but also as a surface on which to play board games.

Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe the clue is in the word 'table'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant a table with the hidden layer for gaming:

http://cashier.geekchichq.com/the-emissary-gaming-table.html

Like this!!

I totally agree there would be people in the UK who could make this style of table, I was questioning if anyone here had had something of this nature comissioned, as then the carpenter would know what sort of thing I was after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother-in-law has a pool-table-come-dining-table just like that. I'll find out where he got it and maybe they do something similar without the pockets and balls included!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check out this thread (and this related blog) which offers some details of one person's work on creating his own table. The info there might help with finding someone to build a similar table for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoke to brother-in-law and the (pool-come-dining-table) is from a French company called Billiard Plaisance. There is a UK distributer Kingswood Leisure, but looking online it looks like it’s all pool/billiard tables. Close, but no cigar.

http://www.billardsplaisance.com/
http://www.kwlonline.com/pooltables.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerningkev wrote:
You can check out this thread (and this related blog) which offers some details of one person's work on creating his own table. The info there might help with finding someone to build a similar table for you.

Thanks for the reference .

There is a link in the blog to Google Sketch up plans. Keep in mind it was the first time I had ever used sketch up and I did the plans in like 2-3 hours after I had built the table trying to get them up for people. I know of at least one error in the plans where I forgot to mark where I put additional supports at the joint where the desk like area meets the actual tabletop. Those were just 1x3's I glued underneath the table, spanning the joint where the tabletop meets the desk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
kerningkev wrote:

There is a link in the blog to Google Sketch up plans. Keep in mind it was the first time I had ever used sketch up and I did the plans in like 2-3 hours after I had built the table trying to get them up for people. I know of at least one error in the plans where I forgot to mark where I put additional supports at the joint where the desk like area meets the actual tabletop. Those were just 1x3's I glued underneath the table, spanning the joint where the tabletop meets the desk.

Not only is your table a fraction of the cost, it also looks more stylish and way more comfortable to game at than that timber monstrosity of Geekchic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:
mltdwn wrote:
kerningkev wrote:

Not only is your table a fraction of the cost, it also looks more stylish and way more comfortable to game at than that timber monstrosity of Geekchic.

You need to look at some of the smaller GC tables. They are far from monstrosities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Thanks for the compliment Arjen... It was also a blast to build and I have to admit it is probably my most valued piece of furniture I have ever owned simply because it is 100% mine .

Geosphere wrote:
Vargen666 wrote:
mltdwn wrote:
kerningkev wrote:

You need to look at some of the smaller GC tables. They are far from monstrosities.

But still an arm and a leg... maybe an additional foot too .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boyter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Chris,

Not sure if this is still relevant as the original question is now over 2 years old but what the hell. There is a UK based company called Geeknson who does a high quality gaming tables with chairs.I saw it at UK Games Expo this year - 2015. Term high quality and tempted to get one myself when I move soon. Hope that helps. www.geeknson.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Pousette
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thx for sharing Ken! Geeknson's tables looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Sargeant
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
badge
Search for 'Northants Board and Card Gamers Collective' on Facebook
mbmbmbmbmb
As said this is an old thread, but if you're still interested there is a guy near me in Northampton who has a company callec Rampage Gaming Tables. Looks like all bespoke stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rahdo did a series of 3 or 4 video's on the Geeknson table that he has, showing planning/choice, installation, initial review and his thoughts after a few months use on his youtube channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruton
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I used to fund my games purchases by juggling!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeknson stuff is very nice. I made my own, but it is nowhere near as nice.

http://www.geeknson.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently in talks with McPoker tables, based in Edinburgh, about a gaming table. Everything they make is completely custom, and very reasonably priced.

As all the tables are custom, I'm tailoring my "poker table" to be more of a gaming table.

For a 6' x 4' table, with a felt top and padded arm rest, no racetrack, and a black glass dining table topper (single piece), I've been quoted £750-800. There are still more talks to be had about specifics, but I have high hopes.

http://www.mcpokertables.co.uk/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with the cheapo geeknson in the end the "Charlie"

Its compact but very beautiful and cheap for what it is. Cost £550 all in with delivery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Howitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeknson.com they are awesome I love my Dennis table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milios Thanasis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can also check Rathskellers : https://www.rathskellers.com/

Handcrafted Tables for Board Games in comfort and style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
I went with the cheapo geeknson in the end the "Charlie"

Its compact but very beautiful and cheap for what it is. Cost £550 all in with delivery!

They didn't have this option when I was looking earlier in the year. I ended up going for a standard 3' x 3' expand to 3' x 6' Solid oak table(no metal parts , just two 3' x 3' tops that slide out on grooves cut into inner sides, stacked and slide to centre for 3 x 3) and use a felt cover (until my gripmats arrive from overdue Kick starter.) I paid £360 in a sale but they are now £550

I think I may have been tempted to the Charlie if it had been available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.