BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Rounding out the collection. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I'm looking to round out the collection that my friends and I draw from. (We generally try and minimize duplicates). So I think we hit a good number of the top games listed on this site but is there anything I'm really missing out on that I should add to the buy list? The follow up question would be is there anything scheduled to be released later this year that I should hold out for instead of one of these games?

Details below:

The main games friends have:

Caylus,Catan+expansions,Ora et labora,Robo Rally, 7 Wonders,Last night on earth, Thurn and taxis, Peurto Rico, Pandemic,Agricola,Dominion, Power grid

The main games I have:

Arkham horror, Le Havre, Citadels, Tomb, Eminent domain, Vegas showdown

Games I/Friends plan to add in the near future:

-Dominant Species
-Castles of Burgundy
-Carson City
-El Grande (If I can find a copy or wait for reprint)
-Descent 2nd edition
-Galaxy Trucker
-Mage knight

Games I/We are considering:

-Village
-Terra Mystica
-Tzolk'in
-Brass
-Battlestar Galactica
-Merchants and marauders

Games that we will not be adding:

- Cosmic Encounters
- Diplomacy
- Shogun (which is a shame since I think we got off to a bad start on this one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering you already have Caylus and Agricola, and that you plan on getting Dominant Species, I think you could easily skip Carson City. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game, but you should be more than good with the other three for worker placement.

I have to add that me and my group found Descent 2 ED to be underwhelming, however I don't have anything in the genre to recommend in its place.

As for games you should add, I would recommend Race for the Galaxy. It plays quicker than most of your games, while still retaining a great amount of depth. I am biased since it is my favorite game, but I don't think you should overlook it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tzolkin and Brass are two excellent games to add to your collection to give it a bump in the heavy games department
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Mage Knight Board Game. Also consider Ghost Stories and King of Tokyo

Check out this geeklist: Thematic games with top notch components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think Shadows over Camelot is an awesome co-op game (with traitor element).

A touch of evil is another great game, that gets a lot of play time.

Otherwise, we generally agree in the group I play with, that Railways of the World (formally Railroad Tycoon) is a great game.

Lastly, having just bought Twilight Struggle, for 2 players I can heartily recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a shorter game The Resistance:Avalon for 5-10 players?

+1 Battlestar Galactica.

Why didn't Cosmic Encounter work for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only played a couple times:

- Unbalanced leaders let me walk away with the game the second time
- Some players use kid gloves or favor other players due to relationship obligations ie Wife (though they would deny this completely)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.