So I'm looking to round out the collection that my friends and I draw from. (We generally try and minimize duplicates). So I think we hit a good number of the top games listed on this site but is there anything I'm really missing out on that I should add to the buy list? The follow up question would be is there anything scheduled to be released later this year that I should hold out for instead of one of these games?
The main games friends have:
Caylus,Catan+expansions,Ora et labora,Robo Rally, 7 Wonders,Last night on earth, Thurn and taxis, Peurto Rico, Pandemic,Agricola,Dominion, Power grid
The main games I have:
Arkham horror, Le Havre, Citadels, Tomb, Eminent domain, Vegas showdown
Games I/Friends plan to add in the near future:
-Castles of Burgundy
-El Grande (If I can find a copy or wait for reprint)
-Descent 2nd edition
Games I/We are considering:
-Merchants and marauders
Games that we will not be adding:
- Cosmic Encounters
- Shogun (which is a shame since I think we got off to a bad start on this one)
- Last edited Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:31 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:24 pm
Considering you already have Caylus and Agricola, and that you plan on getting Dominant Species, I think you could easily skip Carson City. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good game, but you should be more than good with the other three for worker placement.
I have to add that me and my group found Descent 2 ED to be underwhelming, however I don't have anything in the genre to recommend in its place.
As for games you should add, I would recommend Race for the Galaxy. It plays quicker than most of your games, while still retaining a great amount of depth. I am biased since it is my favorite game, but I don't think you should overlook it.
- Last edited Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:34 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:34 pm
I think Tzolkin and Brass are two excellent games to add to your collection to give it a bump in the heavy games department
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Definitely get Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Mage Knight Board Game. Also consider Ghost Stories and King of Tokyo
Check out this geeklist: Thematic games with top notch components
Personally, I think Shadows over Camelot is an awesome co-op game (with traitor element).
A touch of evil is another great game, that gets a lot of play time.
Otherwise, we generally agree in the group I play with, that Railways of the World (formally Railroad Tycoon) is a great game.
Lastly, having just bought Twilight Struggle, for 2 players I can heartily recommend it.
- Last edited Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Perhaps a shorter game The Resistance:Avalon for 5-10 players?
+1 Battlestar Galactica.
Why didn't Cosmic Encounter work for you?
- Last edited Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:57 pm
Only played a couple times:
- Unbalanced leaders let me walk away with the game the second time
- Some players use kid gloves or favor other players due to relationship obligations ie Wife (though they would deny this completely)