Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[thing=107669][/thing] is a deeper game I've designed, along the Roads & Boats/Antiquity end of the spectrum. Ibyron is a name I just threw on it when someone told me they didn't want to do taxes. Bridge builder was a name it was once called, but no bridges were ever built. Kingdom Builder was a generic name I gave it at first, but that is a no-go anymore

Poll
Which name sounds best or which cover?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
12.4% 14
83.2% 94
I guess I'll throw in othe, just clarify at comments.
4.4% 5
Voters 113
This poll is now closed.   113 answers
Poll created by ropearoni4
Closes: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:00 am

wow. a typo in a poll - othe means 'other' icyww.
I can't use these as actual covers, but I liked how it came together compared to other attempts, so I'm showing the names within the same cover art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way Ibyron sounds, which, as long as you are making a name up, is essentially all that matters (not what I personally think, mind you, but whether the name sounds "right"). So that gets my vote.

As a more general comment:

Tribute & Taxes is longer, less memorable, and sounds like mindless and boring work. I wouldn't go with it even if the absolute only thing in the game were tributes and taxes. I notice that there is an "Explore, Gather, Build" subtitle - I would go down the Explore and Build route, since these concepts are marginally more exciting that gathering and far better than taxes Not using these two words directly, but something which plays along with these points. Something like "Foundation", "Homelands", "Blazers" or the like (these are in all likelyhood already taken, but you get the idea).

Best of luck with your project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
Tribute & Taxes is longer, less memorable, and sounds like mindless and boring work.

My thoughts exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
andvaranaut wrote:
Tribute & Taxes is longer, less memorable, and sounds like mindless and boring work.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd buy Tribute and Taxes. Sounds like mindless and boring work! Just up my alley.

Ibyron sounds like... an exotic location... I play board games for fun, not travel. I am an accountant. Nay, you will not tempt me thusly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I'd buy Tribute and Taxes. Sounds like mindless and boring work! Just up my alley.

You'd do great here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted other.

Between the two, I like Ibyron better, but I would also prefer a fake island name that didn't have a y in the middle of the word that causes confusion in the pronunciation. So _________ : Island of Discovery is a fine name, but make the island name easier to pronounce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:
Jythier wrote:

You'd do great here...

Woohoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ibyron, however I also like Empyreal, also no other listing on the geek with this name, only a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a big fan of the "add a letter Y to a name to make it sound cool" thing but between the two I'd pick Ibyron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Not a big fan of the "add a letter Y to a name to make it sound cool" thing but between the two I'd pick Ibyron.

I highly take exception to that remark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:

Unless looking for ystari to publish ninja

Ropyrony:island of discovery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think the "I" was crystal clear....at first glance, I wasn't sure what letter it was.

How do you pronounce Ibyron?:
1) like a great poet introducing himself: "I, Byron"
2) or like a guy named Ron introducing himself: "I be Ron"
3) or like Ray Barone's (from Everybody Love Ray) relative "E Barone"
4) other??

Having a name that noone can pronounce is also a nice attention getter for a game...... Think Troyes....is it Twa? Or is it Troy-yes? Or is it Troy-yea? Or is it something else that noone has yet comprehended??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this even a serious poll? "Tribute & Taxes", really?!

Of course, "Ibyron..." is better, but I would change the font to a more readable one, especially considering that you are using a name you invented. I had to read the caption to understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Iron Game
msg tools
richcharters wrote:
I didn't think the "I" was crystal clear....at first glance, I wasn't sure what letter it was.

Lol I thought it read as Thyron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I as in me, brrrr as in cold weather, on as in not off.
Others include the short I sound. Maybe that should be the poll. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Is this even a serious poll? "Tribute & Taxes", really?!

Of course, "Ibyron..." is better, but I would change the font to a more readable one, especially considering that you are using a name you invented. I had to read the caption to understand it.

Initially it was tested a lot as tribute and taxes or that tribute game, so most have liked the one they called it in the first place and didn't want me to change it. But, a name change tested good with newbies to the game minus a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm... let's see ...

me : "Hey Scott, wanna go play Tribute and Taxes?"
you : "What's that, an Obama game?"

or

me : "Hey Scott, wanna go play Me-Brr-On?"
you : "What?! What a curious name for a game. Must be interesting!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- parkibricks -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Ibyrion ? I think the added i makes the name a bit more dynamic.
(I'm married to someone working in marketing, it rubs off on me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
hmmm... let's see ...

me : "Hey Scott, wanna go play Tribute and Taxes?"
you : "What's that, an Obama game?"

or

me : "Hey Scott, wanna go play Me-Brr-On?"
you : "What?! What a curious name for a game. Must be interesting!"

Not "me", but AS in me, myself ie 'I' will do that. I should say long I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatum wrote:

The Iberian pennisula uses that name sorta already. I was trying to not use anything already used.

I tried putting an a on the end but got too close to "My Sharona" by The Tubes, with Ibyrona. I think it is The Tubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
fatum wrote:

The Iberian pennisula uses that name sorta already. I was trying to not use anything already used.

I tried putting an a on the end but got too close to "My Sharona" by The Tubes, with Ibyrona. I think it is The Tubes.

Being able to sing the title actually will help.

~Hey, my little gamer friends, gamer friends, come and take a look at this I-byrona!~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Commons
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
fatum wrote:

Being able to sing the title actually will help.

~Hey, my little gamer friends, gamer friends, come and take a look at this I-byrona!~

well, since this song came out when I was in my impressionable young preteen ages, we always said "m-m-m-my sca-ro-tum"....still can't listen to that song and not sing it that way.

Now I might always associate this game with that as well.....sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibyrion certainly fits better in the graphic... the text looks somewhat vampire-esque in the top image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Albin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing my support in for Ibyrion for all the same reasons as others have mentioned. It sounds decent, it fits the box, and any game about taxes isn't gonna garner a lot of attention. I must admit I get curious when games have names involving boring stuff like taxes, but I think more people will just skip over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fyi the taxes are about like any euro: tax the people=get money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.