Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Solitaire games I own:

Thunderbolt Apache Leader(LOVE)
Field Commander: Napoleon (LOVE)
Friday (Like, nice small diversion)
Onirim (For playing a solitaire game in public without embarrassing myself)
Dawn of the Zeds (First edition) (1st ed, liked so much that 2nd edition is in the mail! I like the story that unfolds as you play)
Zulus on the Ramparts! 2nd edition, liked but DotZ is better so this is on the chopping block
Mage Knight Board Game - too many rules! I'm also not a huge fan of the theme, however I think it's a great game and will always be happy to play someone else's copy, but it's not a game for me

On Preorder:
D-Day at Omaha Beach
Fields of Fire

What I really like in solitaire games is having a narrative unfold, but having my actions matter. I feel somewhat parallel playing wargames today as I did as a kid playing with GI Joes or transformers. But I don't want the game playing me... something the DVG games excel at! Heck, I even get a bit into the theme of Friday

What I want: A non-wargame with excellent play and a lot of breadth but not necessarily number-crunching depth. Not too lucky, though luck is ok (See: DotZ). It should also have great components. If it needs an expansion or two to shine, no prob. Games that have caught my attention

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - I like the theme and it gets rave reviews. Cons are that Shut Up & Sit Down didn't like it (I trust them) and it's not "tried and true"
A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion - I don't own anything in the series but if I bought it, it would be with this expansion (I think The Coast would be too much game for solo). I don't know much about it but I do know some folks adore it solo. I like the theme, too and FFP have excellent components
Ghost Stories - Basically, thedacker likes it and I trust him. Cons are that I hear it's very hard and a lot of that is due to luck of the draw (I want my actions to matter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
you should check out my geeklists, we have the same intersts:

Thematic games that have top notch components

solo/co-op games that look as awesome as they are to play

What about Agents of SMERSH or Gears of War: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know much about AoS but GoW is an excellent suggestion. I'll need to look into it a bit more, even though the theme and dungeon crawling are not my cup of tea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?...you seem to like war games like me...this is a great solo (or 2-player) game.

Space Empires: 4X...good for 1-4 players. Have played through the first solo campaign, and got my butt handed to me. Game seems like a 3-player game would be fantastic. Lots of good stuff going on in the game such as technology tree upgrades, various levels of ship construction, mining, colony development, etc. I would not suggest this as a straight-up solo buy, but if you occasionally have another player or two, this could fit the bill for both.

By the way, I have been pondering Field Commander: Napoleon... what's your take on it? Lots of replayability? How many scenarios are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Robinson Crusoe, as far as I could tell, SU&SD didn't like it as a co-op game pretty much only because it doesn't address the "bossy leader" problem. I don't think they had any complaints about the game as far as mechanics go. Also keep in mind that they CAN be wrong (they said in their preview that solo Mage Knight was not worth playing, and it's now viewed as one of the best solo games of all time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Byron, thanks for the reminder. I will have to reread their review to double check..... I just hope it's not all hype

Glenn, FC:N comes with 11 scenarios and 7 maps. I've only touched upon the game but I think there's quite a bit of replayability there. The scenarios each play uniquely, but as per how the subjective "BEST" scenario plays over and over is beyond my experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game but agree you need an expansion. Have you considered The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game? And the luck in Ghost Stories can be mitigated with good strategies so don't dismiss it. I suggest you watch the Black Belt Gaming "lonesome gamer" video series. He plays Ghost Stories and Gears of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for Robinson, you could watch Rahdo's walkthrough, that shows mechanics etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ricky Royal's Box of Delights playthrough of Robinson was quite good.

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game is an amazing solitaire PnP game that absolutely excels at creating a story, and gets much better if you happen to be familiar with Doctor Who. While there is a not insignificant amount of randomness, your choices are very important in shaping the course the game takes.

Although it is PnP, you can play very easily without printing off anything and using the provided PDFs, its quite easy to read the rules and give it a try. Alternatively, you can play it online using the wiki: http://dwssg.averyniceplace.de/wiki/ - which I've heard is fabulous, but I haven't used it yet myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Dr Who suggestion but, unfortunately, I never started watching the show :\ I'm pretty sure I'd love it if I did

Reread the SU&SD for Robinson C, looks like Byron's correct and their big complaint was the bossy character thing (though somehow that didn't put them off Pandemic).

I'll wait until release of the game to see, it looks like it has a bit more player choice in it than ATOE. Also, it doesn't require me to buy two games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Commander Napoleon is an excellent game with plenty of replayability. Some maps and campaigns are tougher than others so you'll find favourites and/or the tough ones you keep going back to. Well worth it with loads shoved into the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've decided to go for Robinson Crusoe. Watching the setup video alone I was impressed. There's a ton of variability in each game and a lot to discover. That's my kind of game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leevi Rantala
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Zeds (First edition) is oozing with theme. It's also one of the best solitaire games I have ever played. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I've decided to go for Robinson Crusoe. Watching the setup video alone I was impressed. There's a ton of variability in each game and a lot to discover. That's my kind of game

That's my next epic solo game too, just wish Z-Man would hurry up. Good thing I picked up Mage Knight to hold me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leevir wrote:
Dawn of the Zeds (First edition) is oozing with theme. It's also one of the best solitaire games I have ever played. zombie

Own it, totally agree! Read my OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking at A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game i would look at Arkham Horror. I have both and I feel that AH just tells a better story and offers more of a challenge. Both play pretty much the same AH is tighter IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with that. I think ATOE is much more accessible and, for the time commitment, offers a compelling story with better villains in my opinion. I never was huge into Lovecraftian mythos though. Sometimes it feels like AH has rules for the sake of having rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advice checking out

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases

you won't get more thematic and narrative than that

latest Ystari edition looks great

check Marco's video review here

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/24678/sherlock-holmes-con...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Good choice! Great game.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

I can't see you being disappointed in this. It was my game of last year - and I only play it solo. Some of the mechanics are absolutely inspired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
United Kingdom
Wisbech
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and mystics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.