Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first SoE game this weekend and enjoyed it greatly. During the game though a situation came up that I was unsure of how to handle. It regards the 'free action' capability of improvement tiles. Since some tiles grant bonuses that can be used anytime whether it is your action phase or not, I was unsure if tiles that allow for creation of military units can be used in the same way.

Specifically, can the Diplomatic Service tile be played by a defender to get an alliance when he is attacked in an area where the alliance tile is still available? In our game, I attacked South America and the Gauchos tile was still available. The defender wanted to use his unused Diplomatic Service as a free action to claim the alliance tile prior to my attack. We decided yes he could, but weren't sure.

Likewise can Trained Natives be used to raise a military unit in a colony under attack if the tile has not been used already in the war? Or Mercenaries to raise an army anywhere legal prior to attack (with navigation rolls if needed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I believe that you can only use free actions on your turn so in all of your cases you are playing incorrectly. Under "Buy one tile" it says" that:

"[triangle tiles] are free actions (i.e. it is an additional action to the two actions a player normally performs)."

I take that to mean that triangl tiles are used during the time a player is taking other normal actions. This is covered in the FAQ as well on the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.