Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both CR and WoA and was wondering if people play them seperatly or combine them together when they do a quest?

I've been combining all the cards, tokens, monsters, etc from both games and just playing each scenario (from either quest book - we alternate) as normal. The only thing I have been keeping seperate are the tiles...and the only reason I do them seperate is just to make it easier to find special tiles if needed, for a particular quest.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not? We've been getting beat pretty good in some scenarios but are still having a lot of fun....the board does tend to get filled with a lot of traps at times though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that the monsters may cause issue as they wouldn't double up on you as often as they would seperately. Therefore, making the scenarios easier than intended. But so long as you're having fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an excellent observation Colin.

The sets were designed to be mixed and matched provided you don't mind diluting each adventure's theme (monsters, encounters, etc). It generally works okay to:

1.) Combine Heroes; although the Legend of Drizzt heroes are really strong.
2.) Combine the treasure deck because the Ravenloft treasures suck.

This thread's already identified the problems with:

1.) Mixing tiles
2.) Mixing Monster cards - doubling up monster actions is a big deal and one of the things that makes the game hard (and targeting specific monsters part of a strategy).

Encounter cards are a mixed blessing but they should generally be okay. As I understand it Ravenloft was intentionally designed to be difficult so maybe mixing in the Ashardalon decks up helps dilute its impact?

While you're at it check out some of the fun mods for this game such as the Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon Room Event and Campaign Event Decks by GeckoTh, NinjaDorg, and myself. ChromaticDragon has some neat add-on monster decks and Crypt decks for Ravenloft and Ashardalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the feedback. We've been losing so didn't really think about the 'monster dilution'. I didn't realize there were mods out there. Is it in the Variants sections of the forums?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyCC wrote:
... so long as you're having fun...

Now THAT is what it is all about! Couldn't be any simpler!

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The mods can be found in the files section. Here's a brief run down on the mods I worked on:

Campaign Events - If you want hero continuity between adventures, these cards describe what happens to your heroes between adventures. Each Hero draws a card and then gets a chance to shop before the next adventure. Most of the cards describe good things but sometimes bad things happen.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64535/ninjadorgs-dd-ad...

[Note: An expanded version of this deck is underway and might be available this weekend!]

Room Events - One of the complaints about the game is that the room tiles had interesting names but didn't do anything outside of serving as an adventure goal (reveal the villain when they reach Strahd's crypt, etc.) These cards attempt to address the problem by providing a short description of what's going on in the room usually followed by a die roll. The first hero to enter the tile stops play, draws a card, and resolves it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83756/cr-room-event-de...

ChromaticDragon made entirely new decks of Treasures, Monster, and Encounter Cards you can mix into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.