jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been researching games about the American Revolution and decided to pick this game because it didn't seem too complicated and could eventually be played with my 10 year old son.

To learn the rules I decided to play a solo game of the Battle of Long Island using the advanced rules. This was probably perhaps a bit ambitious but I did not want the US militia to be charging at elite British units so I decided to use all the advanced rules (except the shorter ranges for grand tactical battles).

So, not knowing much and wanting to test the strength of elite units I decided to set the British up with their elite forces facing the hills with their lighter and faster units on the right flank in order to conduct an envelopment move.

The battle started with a British assault which proved disastrous. Attacking hills was suicidal. Americans were weakened but British forces destroyed. The Americans lost a couple units while the British lost 4 or 5. I can't remember exactly

The Americans eventually started pulling away their weakened units towards Brooklyn Heights as the British reorganized and started using their right flank (which they should probably have done earlier...).

Yet, it was too late. The British were forced to attack to have a chance of winning the game but had lost too many units earlier in the battle (they are defeated if they lose 6 unites) which made it hard to successfully conduct attacks. Just getting into position exposes units to fire so no skirmish is won without losses...

As the British were getting organized for a major push, George Washington personally led a dazzling bayonet charge destroying the last British unit needed for victory. The 2 extra dice he was able to contribute to the close combat made all the difference in the world. Interestingly, a 1 was rolled so I had to roll again to see if he died in battle. He survived. The alternative would have been interesting from a historical point of view.

So here is the battlefield at the end of the game which ended in an American victory.

I'd love to try this again but perhaps starting with the enveloping move from the right flank.

I clearly learned that attacking units in forests and hills is very dangerous and should only be attempted with superior forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR...thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

HtL is one my favorite games on the AR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the AAR, this is one of my favorite scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.