Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Swafford
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
This weekend I will be playing AGOT with three other people. I own the game and the expansion. Ive only played a four player game one other time, so i wanted to get some advice from others who have played quite a bit. Which factions work best in a 4 player game and should we use the expansion board overlay?
The last time I played a four player game, I beleive we used Martell, Baerathon, Stark, and Lannister (the four sides of the board). We also used the expansion board. I dont recall any balance issues, but it has been awhile.
Any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The four player game is played without the overlays - these are only used in the 6 player game (map over lay) and the 3 player game (resource overlay).

The houses to use are Stark (North), Baratheon (East), Tyrell (South), Lannister (West). Greyjoy is used for five players and Martell for six.

From the expansion it's worth reading the optional extras and deciding on what sort of players are going to be playing the game...don't overload novice gamers with all the expansion rules - the original rules are enough to give a great game to be going on with. I do recommend using the ports though - they add a certain amount of balance for sea warfare. Oh and the cards are worth substituting too.

Make alliances, don't sulk too much when you're betrayed, always watch for the leader, don't be tempted to pick on the weak, in the game of thrones you either win or die!

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it. Should be a lot better than 5 player, as Stark and Lannister have more room to expand.

If you believe in telling people what to play, I would have the weakest player as Baratheon and the strongest as Stark. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly advice using the map overlay in all games. Otherwise Tyrell doesnt really play any part in your games - for sure they are there, and they will disturb Baratheon and Lannister, but they stand not the slightest chance of winning w/out the new map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hagblom
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about a five player game. Has anyone tried switching martell for greyjoy using the new map? What were the results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Lidström
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Chris Coyote wrote:
I strongly advice using the map overlay in all games. Otherwise Tyrell doesnt really play any part in your games - for sure they are there, and they will disturb Baratheon and Lannister, but they stand not the slightest chance of winning w/out the new map.

Actually, in the last 4p game I managed to win playing Tyrell. With a (weak) alliance with Lannister I took the ships up the west coast and stabbed Stark, who was focusing on Lannister and Baratheon, in the back.devil Fun indeed!

When I got most Stronholds the alliance with Lannister broke down. Some battles later: ta da, Tyrell winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.