United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Place Deck List:HB Fast Advance

Summary
Atlanta concluded its’ first of two regionals on Saturday April 13th. I enjoyed the overall experience and was glad to see 21 participants. I learned a lot from both the inexperienced players and some very strong players as well. I was the only one who wasn’t among the top 8 to remain to observe the elimination rounds and I witnessed some interesting deck designs. Came to the conclusion that Criminal remains the top runner, Weyland Scorched Earth is very strong and fast advance is boring but effective play.

Faction Notes/Deck Design

All of the top four players ran with Gabe; and as many games as I watched seemed to have minimal variations as far as deck design. Account Siphon. Sneak Door Beta and Femme Fatales were the three most used tricks. Déjà Vus on Account Siphons allowed the eventual winner to land 5 of these in one game (OP much).

There was an HB with Trick of Light, Biotic Labor and Archived Memories which never built a single remote with ICE yet won 6 of 8 its matches. Unfortunately a loss in the finals match made this deck look weaker than it had played throughout the entire tournament. The player of this deck admitted it was boring but it’s a winner.

Weyland players were scorching opponents left and right. If I took a proper mental tally; when Weyland won, it won by flatiline 4 out of 5 times. The key was simple, build up a large economy, wait til the Runner made an expensive run and flatline them with SEA Source. Weyland players blew through Plascretes and Crash Spaces to reach Runners grips for the flatline. Scoring Agendas was a bit of a challenge but still possible when runners had to tiptoe around tags and hand size too much.

Tournament Structure Weaknessp
The finals were a bit uneventful. Very lucky scores off R&D and HQ allowed a clean 10-0 game one against the Fast Advance HB. Perhaps this deck was due for a loss, but you never want to see it swept in the finals. This meant Weyland needed just one agenda to win the game and was dealt a Hostile Takeover first turn for the game win. The second runner didn’t even get a turn. Uneventful indeed.

Awful Mistakes: My Personal Play
I have a great deal of learning to do; and not in regards to game play. It’s my nerves.
I made three entirely stupide and very preventable plays.
a) I placed an agenda behind a single ICE (Archer) remote and advanced twice. My opponent exposed then drew, drew and inside job’d for the game winning agenda. Not entirely awful, except that in my hand I had Shadow and Red Herring. Both of which prevent easy scores using Inside Job… ugh. I know better, but didn’t have my wits about me to play it the safe way.
b) As Noise, I had a four counter medium but was locked out of R&D. When I drew a Wyrm, I decided I’d Djinn for a Parasite, install parasite onto PW and then Stimhack my run. … I completely turned off my brain and didn’t calculate and ended up being one credit short and didn’t get through. *Why I didn’t calculate this made no sense, it’s literally like I turned off my brain.
c) With five agenda points, I installed Project Atlas and by rezzing it I get a win. My opponent recognizing the threat made a run in which I rezzed an ICE and had to rez two Red Herrings which prevented him from stealing it. I was ready for the win; except that I only 2 credits and couldn’t complete the advance. *Perhaps not bad, but! I had used an Atlas counter which I previously scored to put that gaming winning atlas behind the remote – again had I just taken the time to calculate the number of credits I needed to score that I could have prevented that lose.

All mental errors! I’m a terrible test taker and this experience proved much the same. Its been two days and I’m still unable to comprehend how silly these plays were.

Lesson Learned
On a positive note, I tried to learn from my mistakes and in the fifth and final round of a critical point I asked my opponent for ‘time’ and stood up for a moment to think. Even getting out of my seat and stepping three feet away from the table took a moment to evaluate the situation. I won on that next click =) and was proud to at least have learned (even if too late) that taking a moment to think and breathe before acting has its rewards.

Summary of my Decks
I had a very strong Weyland fast remote set up and threatened a win in every game I played. I put the Runner on their heals and it felt great to be in control of a game. I didn’t win every game (besides the losses above, I lost a complete trash luck;with the runner only granted access to R&D three times, he scored three agendas for the win; absolute garbage, but it happens so I wasn’t mad).

Noise proved to be unlucky, I only scored a total of 15 agendas from Archives over the course of 5 games. 6 of which came from one game. I played careful around Jinteki and won both games against that faction.

Advice for Players who like me Struggle with Nerves
If I can share some of experience and would like others to learn from this match;
1) Calm your nerves. Do this by understanding your deck, its strength and its weakness. Play to it. Then execute calming the nerves by taking your time, stepping away from the intensity of the situation and breath. Use those times to think and plan accordingly.
2) Attempt to win every match. You need to maintain high ranking so that you are consistently in the mix for the finals. You can win by luck against stronger players and you can lose by luck to inferior players.

Good luck and Happy Hacking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent insights David! I was sad to see you didn't make top 8. I was rooting for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current tournament point structure leaves a lot to be desired. It's a tricky problem because of Netrunner's asymmetric game play.

I think I like Hollis' idea about separate corporation and runner brackets the most so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael crow
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:
The current tournament point structure leaves a lot to be desired. It's a tricky problem because of Netrunner's asymmetric game play.

I think I like Hollis' idea about separate corporation and runner brackets the most so far.

Would probably be very long events and/or small brackets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.