Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that storage has been done to death on these forums, but I'm just so proud of the custom tray that I built for my bits that I had to share. Maybe someone can find it of use or at least a jumping off point for ideas of their own.

I started with the popular camera case that has been recommended elsewhere on this forum.

This is the tray that I built. I'll come back to talk about that in depth after I quickly show what lies underneath. Just as a side note, the tray is actually rectangular and straight. My camera lens adds quite a bit of distortion making some of the edges look bowed.

With the tray removed

The BattleFoam and ships underneath with the cards stored to the left.

Ok, so back to the tray which you can see removed from the case here.

I made this out of black foam core board and white glue. The movement dials and bases extend above the top of the tray and are kept in place by the foam in the lid pressing against them. I wanted everything to be easy to remove. If the dividers and edges of the tray were all the same height to each other and if they were taller than the pieces themselves, then it would take a bit of digging to get stuff out with my man fingers. The small bits are divided up into compartments towards the top of the tray and they needed a special cover to keep them in place during transport as the foam wouldn't be reliable enough. When in place, the cover is flush with the top of the tray. Here is the tray with the cover removed.

I was struggling to figure out how to keep the target lock tokens separated without taking up too much space in the tray. Then I wondered if I could create compartments in the cover itself. Two tokens stacked are about the same as the thickness of a single piece of foam core. That's when I tried to use my circle cutter on the foam core. It cut through the top layer of paper and a little bit of the foam but not all the way though. I dug out the foam with my fingers and glued the top circle of paper that was cut off to the bottom, reinforcing the bottom paper. Then I took some matte board and made a thin cover for the entire thing. Now I had 13 small compartments to keep every pair of target locks sorted and it took up no extra space. (Is there a pair of 'Y' and 'Z' target locks yet?) I do like that there is still room here for more compartments of various sizes as the game grows. I'm thinking of embedding magnets in the corners of the cover and the corresponding locations in the tray just to get that uber-satisfying clicking feel.

My next challenge was to figure out a way to keep the ship identifier tokens sorted. That's when I decided to build a small box and sled for them. You can see where the small box fits in the tray here. It also sits flush with the top of the tray. The shorter dividers makes it easy to remove.

This is the box removed from the tray. I used my circle cutter to make the semi-circles to make it easier to remove the matte board lid.

Here is the sled with the lid removed. I used foam core for the base and the three rails that hold the identifiers in place. I added foam to the lid so that they don't move around during transport. Unfortunately, I could only fit 26 out of the 28 identifiers in the box, but I rarely play with more than 26 ships in a single game anyways.

Another angle.

So that's it. It's nothing too crazy ground breaking, but I'm proud of my efforts. I looked around for a long time and didn't find anything that was going to be quite right for what I needed, especially at a reasonable price. I'm happy that I was able to make something that suited my needs out of some scraps that I had lying around anyways. I'm not sure what's going to happen when wave 3 comes out, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully this will inspire some of you to make even better solutions for storing this amazing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome! I have storage envy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Would you be willing to link the camera case you bought, for those of us who are lazy or otherwise impaired? I've been looking for a while for something that would fit the Battlefoam inserts, but didn't cost the $50-$150 they charge for their bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
Would you be willing to link the camera case you bought, for those of us who are lazy or otherwise impaired? I've been looking for a while for something that would fit the Battlefoam inserts, but didn't cost the $50-$150 they charge for their bags.

Hah! I was being lazy by not posting to it in the first place.

I'm pretty sure this is it. http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-HC36-Medium-Hard-Case/dp/B00... Double check the measurements just to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all that I've seen I like this one the most. Very elegant work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. I have to think of something to carry my stuff in for may the 4th I may go this route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this storage solution is brilliant. I love your attention to detail!

Too bad you can't buy something like this, all put together nicely as you did. I'm sure plenty of folks including myself would put down cash on a serious system like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Beaver
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
This is genius. I made a foam core solution for myself and was planning a second iteration to solve some of the issues I had with the first. I'm definitely going to be stealing a few of your ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This...
Dr-WhoopAss wrote:
I was struggling to figure out how to keep the target lock tokens separated without taking up too much space in the tray.

...and this...
Dr-WhoopAss wrote:
Another angle.

win the internet. All of it. Good show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tung
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Awesome job! Best storage implementation I've seen!

What are the dimensions of the custom foam tray you created?

Also, what are the dimensions of the case itself if I wanted to just make a custom foam tray that covered the whole width/length? Is the case tall enough to fit two layers of foam trays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Elliott
United States
West Harrison
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CueBall909 wrote:
This is genius. I made a foam core solution for myself and was planning a second iteration to solve some of the issues I had with the first. I'm definitely going to be stealing a few of your ideas.

Thanks for the kind words! I should probably update this post as incorporating all the subsequent waves has changed the layout quite a bit. Will you PM me or post here when you have yours done and pictures to show? I'm always curious to see what other solutions people have come up with.

Vallador wrote:
This...

...and this...

win the internet. All of it. Good show.

Than you Vallador! I feel like I stand on the backs of giants seeing all the great foam core trays that people make for all of their board games. I'm glad you like those two parts especially as those are the bits I'm most proud of.

BigTung wrote:
Awesome job! Best storage implementation I've seen!

What are the dimensions of the custom foam tray you created?

Also, what are the dimensions of the case itself if I wanted to just make a custom foam tray that covered the whole width/length? Is the case tall enough to fit two layers of foam trays?

I don't remember the dimensions off hand, but perhaps you can follow the link to the case and they'll have it listed there. You can tell by the pictures that it's a little wider than the Battlefoam tray. The case comes with dividers that you can slip in to divide up the space how you see fit.

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm 99% certain that there would be enough room height-wise for two foam trays in that case, either Battlefoam or custom made foam core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.