Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received an email from IB&C (publisher of The Resistance) that had this little blurb on the bottom:

Quote:
Indie Boards and Cards is very excited to officially announce our partnership with La Mame Games to bring their deduction & bluffing game Coup to market. Coup was a surprise hit for me and many others attending Essen 2012, but was only released in limited quantities without major distribution. We've spent the last couple of months making this great game look amazing, and I am very eager to show the world what we've done!

EDIT: Forgot the last line, which is probably the most important:

Quote:
Look for our kickstarter project to bring Coup back later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! I am a big fan, and prefer it over Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! I have heard really great things and would love to get my hands on a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Good. This game deserves a wider audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news, congratulations to Rikki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo. I can finally get a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention, there was one more bit in the email saying that a Kickstarter campaign would be launching later this week for Coup. OP has been updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Travis loves Kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Travis loves Kickstarter!

I may just be a backer of this! I'd like to see the game in action as this is the first that I heard of it. It seems like there are a few fan made re-themes too so I can imagine a Kickstarter be successful rather quickly. Question is: What kind of stretch goals do we want!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I have been using a cobbled up version and it went over well. Will be glad to get a nice version of it. Looking forward to the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want or need ANY stretch goals. Let them keep any profits based on quantity and put out more great products going forward.

I just want a fair price for quality components.

No offense intended, but this "Kickstarter mentality" is getting way out of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I really don't want to see a $10 game with $15 international shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Miller
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope that they use a "standard" size card. The LaMame version uses cards that are 62mm x 100mm.

I don't typically sleeve cards with the exception of hidden role games like Love Letter or The Resistance since a marked card can break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I don't want or need ANY stretch goals. Let them keep any profits based on quantity and put out more great products going forward.

I just want a fair price for quality components.

No offense intended, but this "Kickstarter mentality" is getting way out of control.

I have to say, I'm starting to agree with you. I used to be all about the stretch rewards, but as time has gone on, it's wearing on me. I hate feeling the obligation to back games on Kickstarter so that I don't miss out on a lot of extra content (that's either expensive or impossible to get for anybody who doesn't back within a certain 30 day window). It's hard to stick to a monthly budget when Kickstarter campaigns dictate exactly when my money is spent on new games. If there weren't stretch goals and exclusive promos, I could feel free to wait for games to hit retail shelves to buy them.

I realize that Travis tried the whole "big discounts over retail with minimal stretch goals" thing in his last batch of Kickstarter campaigns last fall, and honestly, I think that's the best approach. Unfortunately, a bunch of people whined about it (myself included), and as a result, he charged a higher price for the current Flash Point campaign and added in a bunch of stretch goals to go with it. I don't fault him for that, he's just giving the people what they want. Therefore, I think that we need to change the mentality of the community, and not the publishers, if we want to make the "Kickstarter mentality" go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My kickstarter projects have usually been at retail price with promos - the same as for sales at Essen. For those that are not interested in the promos, then kickstarter is not going to be the lowest possible price on the game alone.

The Coup kickstarter will launch tonight - it has a number of exciting promos, both for Coup as well as for The Resistance. There will be a small number of stretch goals announced as the project matures - but for a low price game it is not feasible to add a tremendous number of free stretch goals as it is for a $100 game, or even a $40 game.

In the end I am confident that backers of my kickstarter projects will get a fair value. Regardless, there will some that prefer to wait till the game comes out at retail to get it without the promos and as part of a large order for less.

As in all my projects I will try to manage the negativity - unfortunately there is no way to keep everyone happy all of the time. My hope is that those that see the value and want the game will back the project and let their friends know about (and hopefully create some buzz here and on other internet sites). Those that don't like the game or want to wait to get it without promos for a lower price will not try to bring us all down.

So I look forward to a great kickstarter campaign and very excited to launch it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mattmill wrote:
I really hope that they use a "standard" size card. The LaMame version uses cards that are 62mm x 100mm.

I don't typically sleeve cards with the exception of hidden role games like Love Letter or The Resistance since a marked card can break the game.

We will use 7 Wonder sized cards, so getting sleeves should be easy enough given that game's popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
My kickstarter projects have usually been at retail price with promos - the same as for sales at Essen. For those that are not interested in the promos, then kickstarter is not going to be the lowest possible price on the game alone.

You're right...I guess I was just thinking that since you weren't charging for shipping, we were getting a "discount" from retail.

Quote:
We will use 7 Wonder sized cards, so getting sleeves should be easy enough given that game's popularity.

Awesome. I love me some big cards.

7 Wonders cards are 65mmx100mm, for anybody curious. I know that Ultra Pro and Mayday both sell sleeves in this size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! That's even better than standard size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then...

I'm guessing that we're going to get the Merlin/Assassin promos for the Resistance here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it tonight yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
I sold my copy of Coup for a number of reasons but I'm pleased to see it getting a retheme/component upgrade and especially by IB&C. In fact this might persuade me to reacquire it. I'm sure we'll know soon enough but are there any changes or new roles expected in this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

The Coup kickstarter will launch tonight - it has a number of exciting promos, both for Coup as well as for The Resistance. There will be a small number of stretch goals announced as the project matures - but for a low price game it is not feasible to add a tremendous number of free stretch goals as it is for a $100 game, or even a $40 game.

In the end I am confident that backers of my kickstarter projects will get a fair value. Regardless, there will some that prefer to wait till the game comes out at retail to get it without the promos and as part of a large order for less.

As in all my projects I will try to manage the negativity - unfortunately there is no way to keep everyone happy all of the time. My hope is that those that see the value and want the game will back the project and let their friends know about (and hopefully create some buzz here and on other internet sites). Those that don't like the game or want to wait to get it without promos for a lower price will not try to bring us all down.

So I look forward to a great kickstarter campaign and very excited to launch it soon.

Is this KStarter going to have special bonuses for backers in the first 24 hours? If so, what time are you going to launch? I want to make sure I'm in on it.

Edit: And it's live (and backed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

Is this KStarter going to have special bonuses for backers in the first 24 hours? If so, what time are you going to launch? I want to make sure I'm in on it.

They do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Travis did it for The Resistance: Avalon but the promos didn't run out in 24 hours so he extended the "deadline".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.