Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was taught and played the game with 4 players (and lost miserably). The game ended by running out the deck. I was only a level 3 and the winner was at level 7. It was enjoyable but something seemed amiss. Area control seemed to hard to accomplish and leveling up seemed easier for some (and impossible for me). So I purchased the game and did a good read of the rules. Here's six rules I discovered that were taught incorrectly and would have made a huge difference in leveling up and resource accumulation.

Quote:
1. Ruling – you can rule a block in two ways: your Villain is on a block or you have the highest number of Threats and Henchmen on a block without another Villain.

So just having your villain in a block without another villain gives you the block regardless of how many other henchmen or threat tokens are there from other players. This robbed me of a number of card plays and resources where I was the sole villain in the area.

Quote:
2. Ruling - In case of a tie, more than one player can rule a block at the same time.

So ties in blocks (without a villain) allows all tied players to count that area as under their control. In our game, cards played into areas with a tied threat gained nobody the resource. This hurt me in a number of areas where I was tied throughout the game. Note that in a 2-player game, the tie does not apply and you need to have a majority of threat, or your villain. The person who taught the game had only played with 2 players to this point.

Quote:
3. Advancing a Level - If the requirement is a certain amount of money or information, you must show and discard the corresponding amount of tokens.

It's not just a show-and-level-up action, it's a pay-and-level-up action (except for the area control requirement). I know we were never paying to level up, only showing we met the requirement. HUGE mistake that would have changed the whole game, especially if someone leveled up 2 notches.

Quote:
4. Gain a new ability - If you advanced one or more levels this turn, and you went past or the current Clix shows an Ability icon, you can immediately choose and place one of your Ability cards.

We were taught and played that you gained a card every time you leveled up. I didn't pay attention to the Clix icon and apparently it doesn't show an Ability Icon with every click.

Quote:
5. Fighting Batman - If Batman moves into the block occupied by your Villain (or you move your Villain into the block occupied by Batman), your Villain is in a fight with Batman! Roll one of the Batman dice. Each of your Henchmen in the block adds 1 to the result of the die roll. If you roll the Bat Emblem — Batman automatically wins the fight. The player who has drawn the Batman card controls Batman for the fight except in the case Batman is in a fight with the player who drew the card— in which case the player to the left controls all of the actions of Batman after Batman enters the fight. The player controlling Batman rolls one of the Batman dice and adds the current Batman Fight Value (shown on the Clix dial of the Batman figure).

So if you roll the Batman symbol, he automatically wins the fight. If he rolls it (as Batman) it counts as a zero per normal fight rules as there's nothing saying Batman automatically wins the fight if rolling the Batman symbol. I know I had Batman beaten once when he rolled the Batman symbol and I didn't but we were playing that any Batman symbol in a fight with him was an automatic lose for the villain. I don't think that's correct. (apparently it is correct, see reply below).

Quote:
6. Placing Threat after winning a fight - Whoever has the highest total wins the fight (in case of a tie, the Villain that entered the block wins) and can place two Threats (in the same or different blocks). (And the same applies when winning a fight against Batman.)

We were taught that the winner of a villain fight had to put their 2 threat tokens in the area of the fight. WAY wrong. Being able to put them into different areas would have made a huge difference.

Overall I'm fortunate I just didn't walk away in despair, hating the game. Despite the the rules debacle, I still found the game fun and will use a completely different strategy next time (with the correct rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Duran
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Batman thing actually is correct. If either Batman or the Villian rolls a batman symbol, Batman wins. The designer confirmed this on the message boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That really makes him powerful. It seems he levels up fast enough the way it is without helping him out that way. After reading the rules, that was the only area that I was fuzzy about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

Quote:
6. Placing Threat after winning a fight - Whoever has the highest total wins the fight (in case of a tie, the Villain that entered the block wins) and can place two Threats (in the same or different blocks). (And the same applies when winning a fight against Batman.)

We were taught that the winner of a villain fight had to put their 2 threat tokens in the area of the fight. WAY wrong. Being able to put them into different areas would have made a huge difference.

Overall I'm fortunate I just didn't walk away in despair, hating the game. Despite the the rules debacle, I still found the game fun and will use a completely different strategy next time (with the correct rules).

Thanks. I was doing this wrong, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Although I did know that you had to pay information and money to level, I've been playing that henchmen need to be killed to cover the cost. Do henchmen only need to be shown to level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:
Quote:
If the requirement is a certain amount of ruled blocks or recruited Henchmen, you must simply show the other players that you fulfill the requirement.

So no, you don't need to kill off your henchmen to level up. That would be brutal and really prolong the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.