Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind I'm a total n00b when it comes to painting.

I've been reading / watching various things on stripping paint of plastic miniatures. I've seen conflicting accounts on everything and before I go trash a ship, that I might not be able to replace for a while, I wanted to get some kind of consensus on what to use. What have you been using to strip the ships?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(If you are a complete painting noob, you will want to practice on other miniatures before you strip any paint from these models, in case you decide you hate painting and to make sure that your paint job is at least as good as the factory paint job.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
(If you are a complete painting noob, you will want to practice on other miniatures before you strip any paint from these models, in case you decide you hate painting and to make sure that your paint job is at least as good as the factory paint job.)

Yup already doing that. But figured stripping paint isn't something that requires the level of skill and while I practice on some Firestorm Armada ships I could work on stripping off the paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Ashram
msg tools
I am as far from a painting noob as can be, and I'll be frank, I wouldn't go stripping/repainting the ships. They look acceptable from the factory... if you want to do some touch ups I would do that. Otherwise if you are really new at miniature painting you might end up doing a lot more bad than good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just painted over the existing paint. No stripping necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya opinions noted and thanks for the warnings. But that said, if you had to strip off the paint.. what would you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cormitt wrote:
Ya opinions noted and thanks for the warnings. But that said, if you had to strip off the paint.. what would you use?

I would search the interwebs and do what others have had success with (and heed their warnings):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/947739/repainting-to-str...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/919844/the-a-wing-repain...

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/24762/star-wars-x-wing-miniat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
In the above video, the fellow makes use of Winsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer. I tried it on my Falcon and it worked, but it was weird and stayed sticky. I ended up scraping the stuff off with a knife. I may well have done it wrong, but I think next time I strip one of these models, I'll try brake fluid, because it's waaaay cheaper a chemical and I've heard others have good success with it.

Experiment! If we knew what we were doing we would need R&D!

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried Simple Green (the cleaning fluid)? I've used it on metal miniatures before and it's cheap and effective. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure how it would work on these plastic X-Wing minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin darra
Wales
LINCOLN
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Brake Fluid on metal minis a long while back, with success.

But I would be reluctant to strip plastics with it, because I would think that the fluid might melt the plastic. I'm pretty sure a mate of mine destroyed some of his Games Workshop plastic figs using this method.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that the X-Wing minis are actually plastic, aren't they some kind of resin.

My take on this, is that if I wanted to change the paintwork, then I would paint over the top of the existing.

Or, if flush with cash, buy one to experiment with, or wait until someone else reports that they have a definitive method that works.

All in all, perhaps mine is not the most useful of posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after some additional research, looks like Dettol might be the answer. There were plenty of vids showing the beautiful job it did. one in particular that sold me was with GW minis with very old paint. They were left in Dettol for a day or so and the paint came right off with very little effort. Don't know how it'll work on my YT-1300 but that's what I'm going to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Herekiuha
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Dettol on Slave, for two days it sat to no avail & simple green was the same after 4 days I gave up on that to.
Suppose I do live in NZ & it might be deferent here?
Anyway I'm still looking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Has anyone tried Simple Green (the cleaning fluid)? I've used it on metal miniatures before and it's cheap and effective. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure how it would work on these plastic X-Wing minis.

Both online annecdotes, and reports from the local experts here, suggest that Simple Green will strip the paint used for the wash fairly readily, especially off of Rebel ships - but is not good at breaking down the base coats.

Another link for you! Reports from a fellow who did some experimenting:

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/942-stripping-guide/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooooo, having thought I established the safety of the solvent on my model, I decided to try and get even the black paint out of the crevasses. I left my X-Wing in some Winsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer for over an hour...

A cautionary tale for the rest of you.

It is going to be hard to even use it as a wreckage terrain piece in this condition. hopefully after a rinse it will solidify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Herekiuha
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the humanity.
I can hear Red 6 screams...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect model for a custom pilot named Icarus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorched earth wrote:
I tried Dettol on Slave, for two days it sat to no avail & simple green was the same after 4 days I gave up on that to.
Suppose I do live in NZ & it might be deferent here?
Anyway I'm still looking...

I usually use Castrol Super Clean for stripping paint. I haven't stripped any of my X-Wing stuff, but it hasn't failed me yet on anything else. It's a engine degreaser sold in the automotive department, but it's totally safe for plastic models. Just be sure to wear gloves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cormitt wrote:
So after some additional research, looks like Dettol might be the answer. There were plenty of vids showing the beautiful job it did. one in particular that sold me was with GW minis with very old paint. They were left in Dettol for a day or so and the paint came right off with very little effort. Don't know how it'll work on my YT-1300 but that's what I'm going to try.

So after my first abortive attempt with a crazy idea I had for painting the Falcon, I just successfully stripped it with Dettol again. Stuff works great. I gave it a 48 hour bath on both sides. The paint came off with ease and no damage to the model.

Heck I'm even beginning to like the smell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Herekiuha
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks karadekv!
My next mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
I just painted over the existing paint. No stripping necessary.

I did the same, no stripping needed. Factory paint acts as a great primer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Poppie
msg tools
A second wash and paint over old color scheme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Souther
msg tools
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the post. Are you still having luck with Dettol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
yeah what others have said about NOT stripping the paint.. I am a model geek and build 1/72 scale craft normally.(Much bigger and easier) for best results use very very very thin paint or wash.. i have seen a few repaints posted on here that used too thick of a paint and it obscured the details and made the repaint look like something done by a 5 year old. if you got access to an airbrush even better.. however the small size will necessitate some very delicate mask work... however it would be perfect for different colored strips and or an over all wash.. Am thinking about painting a couple of my Ys for grey squadron since i have 8 of them now....However I currently have Two Mig-31s and Two SU-24s in the Q ahead of them... (Waiting for it to get a bit warmer as the paint barn is my garage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
hey Reckless Fable you could use that X-wing and make a great Swamp diorama! you just need a 1/270 scale Yoda!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
echorust wrote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the post. Are you still having luck with Dettol?

Yup it works great. I've even been using it on the Level 7 Omega Protocol minis as I've been trying to figure out how best to pain them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.