Subject: Test Play of Intro Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Terdoslavich
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
OK, Scott and I gave this a "rough" run through last night. It took about 90 minutes from start to finish, covering the 1937 and 39 turns in Europe only. I had Axis, Scott had the good guys.

This was a game in a hurry. I managed to move Germany and Italy up from rearmament to mobilization successfully. France had some trouble getting the UK alliance, but managed on subsequent tries.

Germany used a mix of military and diplomatic moves, flagging Austria and Hungary but invading Poland and Czechoslovakia. The decision to invade Poland was a bad one forced by circumstances. I wanted to use flags to negotiate with the Russians first, but the only offensive chit came up and it was "use it or lose it". The Poles fought valiantly, destroying my only armor step, flipping that unit back to its infantry side.

With the Low Countries secure, I doubled-up my stack (two infantry armies, two tac air forces) to double-down on Paris. The gamble failed. I exchanged armies with the French, who then regained the Low Countries. Luftwaffe could not win an air superiority battle to save its life.

British diplomatic play was "very interesting", managing alliances with Greece and Yugoslavia by overturning Axis flags there. All that was needed was one british army and air force from Egypt to get into Romania (allied). From there, it was attack Czechoslovakia (lose army). then ship the home army around and try again, successfully taking Berlin in late 1940. A French counter-offensive took the Ruhr as well. Germany was knocked out.

Granted, this was pretty ahistorical, but that is half the fun. What really puzzled us was the finishing point totals. Allies go too much of a head start on VP due to appeasement. We are giving this mechanic a second look, trying to find ways of turning this card into a truly painful dilemma for the allies. We thought we had it, but the numbers are not where they should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attrition really took its toll on the Germans, too many tied combat results!

Also, we still haven't found that sweet spot for German aggression. Here, Bill mobilized early but then didn't follow through right away. I also think he lost an opportunity when he took the Low Countries, then returned east to take Poland instead of surprising France (though it would have been no pushover then either). You don't really get second chances as the Axis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.