Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, sweet victory.

One of the things I love about Mage Knight is how often my victories are bleeding-edge near-misses that are oh so lovely.

I played my second shot at the General's Return yesterday, solo with C-Dubs (Voldyx, aka "Crystal Crazy" aka "C-Dubs.") This time around I was more conscientious about tile placement, but luck also played into it quite a bit.

At first, it looked like it was going to be a rough start. Surrounded by swamps and forests, C-Dubs was hard-pressed to find a good recuiting spot for the early-game. I then noticed that the good units in the offering were all to be found in Keeps anyway, so I beelined for the gray tower dead-ahead and made short work of the thugs inside. I recruited the Crossbowmen inside just in time, for they would have become indecisive about their loyalties the very next turn. For the rest of the game, only one unit every joined the General, meaning I only had to fight two greens, one red and one gray at the end of the game. This was quite fortuitous and a much different experience from my first foray in which a unit had flipped to the General's team each of the 3 rounds before I died. It also helped that I was able to recruit the indecisive units early enough that it effectively prevented them becoming traitors to my cause ("Dude, you don't even KNOW that guy! He's been gone 32 years... he could be a total douche!").

The General stayed pretty close to the west side of the board again, and he did a lot of resting, which didn't matter as much once I had recruited the potential turncoats. This allowed me to take my time, visiting a Spawning Ground and another keep before taking ownership of a ricketly ol' Mage Tower. This also allowed me to play mostly in the center of the map and keep tile placement under control. Although the General did end of placing one tile, for the most part I was able to keep an easterly spin on things, finally placing the city nice and far from General MIA. Had a bit of trouble with the city due to one of those evil white units with all resistances (Ultem somethingoranothers) but was able to take the city by dusk of the 3rd day. Surprisingly, the General was still a few spaces away, meaning I would have to abandon my hard-earned city and go meet him (lolly-gagging... a common symptom of being idle 32 years). It took most of the night to get to him and it all came down to the last two turns. He didn't pull red, but he did pull a spell after my first melee, shooting past my location and laying waste to my nice new city (didn't even get the title switched over yet - told you he was a douche.) Last round, last turn, last hand of cards, I was able to knock off the last green unit and General Apathy was smote (smat? Smitten? Smoted? Smottered?)

Very satisfying, very fun. Took about 2.5 hours. It seemed to me that C-Dubs was my saving grace. I used a crap-ton (yes, it's metric) of crystals to make it happen and I'm not sure I could have pulled it off this time around with another Mage Knight.

Humility: Depleted
Bravado: Maxed
General Wussypants: Schooled
Turncoat Unit: Unfriended on Magebook
Final Score: 165
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I haven't yet tried to take on the general... still haven't been able to beat solo conquest... ugh. One day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jpowelltheowl wrote:
still haven't been able to beat solo conquest... ugh. One day!

Don't worry Josh, no one can beat solo conquest in one day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed for the title alone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.