Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to play this online with a friend.

I have the Vassal module which seems functional and supports two players. Are OCTGN (sp?) or Lackey any better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite is OCTGN. Has a good amount of automation and supports all the sets except Heirs and Doorstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Chris. OCTGN, once you get get it set up, is an absolute breeze to play. I love the automation and targeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Despite the fact I now play on Octgn and haven't played on Lackey for years, I'd say Lackey is better platform.

Lackey gives you better control, more table top like environment, less lag, less crash to desk top, better deck build and card search, save game function, join rooms in middle of game, easier to download and upgrade game definition, phase management, communication (making sound), etc.

However, OCTGN has larger user base (I think this is due to COTR Podcasts and the fact Lackey was out of date until recently). So I tend to play on OCTGN. But if for some reason Lackey's user base suddenly went back up, I'd go back to Lackey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
My favorite is OCTGN. Has a good amount of automation and supports all the sets except Heirs and Doorstep.
I can't speak for Lackey (or Vassal) as I haven't tried either of these, but OCTGN is definitely very good. There have been a lot of updates recently to improve automation.

It does support Heirs and Doorstep, although these sets have blurred-out images - I believe this is to comply with FFG's general policy that they're OK with such online play tools as long as they don't include cards from sets released within the last 6 months. If you're willing to scan in your own images of the cards from these sets (and tinker with the set files), or look up the cards outside the application as required, it's certainly possible to play with those sets in OCTGN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold off for a few days on OCTGN, a huge version change is coming that's going to radically change the way games files are managed. Should simplify things a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OCTGN works great I hear when you can get it to work.

I recently dled it with the game files and all it does for me is crash when I click to install the game file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
OCTGN works great I hear when you can get it to work.

I recently dled it with the game files and all it does for me is crash when I click to install the game file.
Like Nigel mentioned, there is a new version on the way which is supposed to change a few things quite drastically, including (I believe) simplifying or eliminating the process of downloading and installing game and set files separately.

On the other hand, being a major overhaul of OCTGN itself, and of the LoTR game engine to align with the application change, there's always the chance of a different set of issues cropping up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of us who work on the LOTR definition for OCTGN are working hard to make sure the transition to the new version is as smooth as possible. We've been testing with the trial build of the new version, and so far everything's going great.

And yes, it will be much easier to for users to install and maintain the game once the new version drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.