Hide
4 Posts

Dragon Strike» Forums » General

Subject: Best intro to D&D? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Murray
msg tools
My cousin used to have this game. We played it 3 or 4 times. I was usually the DM. I remember having a lot of fun with it, but it was hard to get other people to play. There were a lot of rules, and since I was new to DMing, I wasn't that good. I never played Hero Quest, although I remember wanting that game as a kid. Was that a better game than this?

I have a board gaming group that I'm looking to get back into role playing. None of us have much experience roleplaying. Besides Dragon Strike, I also tried playing "The New Easy to Master D&D" back in the early 90s but only played it once and it was kind of a messy disaster. We've played Descent and Dark World, but those games are more straightforward competitive board games. I also ordered "The Legend of Drizzt" D&D game, but that game doesn't have a DM and I think is geared more for kids. It still looks like fun though.

So I was wondering what the best board game is to ease players into the rules of D&D. I'd prefer something that's still in print if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is, actually in most aspects, better than Hero Quest, though there are a lot of areas where Hero Quest shines more (components, for one thing). And the art.

That aside, I think Dragon Strike rocks. I never played it as a kid, but the focus on game mastering, the stories in the scenarios, the randomization of the treasure locations, and the focusing on more than just "move then attack" or "attack then move" was great.

This game incarnates the reason why I don't like Descent much. That's just a competitive minis game, this is a game mastered adventure game.

So, to answer: I think this is probably the best to get people into roleplaying. HeroQuest doesn't come close; it doesn't have the focusing on talking, figuring out, it's more a straight-forward "go in room, kill foes, take treasure".

There is Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game but it's out of print. Then of course you have the more recent Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. I haven't played them though so I can't vouch for what they exactly are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
I wish there was another game like this for kids that's more current. It's one of the few games that kids can DM without having to worry too much about extensive rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of Dragon Strike and though I've only played the solo adventure it's pretty cool. I would recommend using it to Gateway kids into RPGing but not so sure about adults because it has a campy kinda feel to it.

As for Castle Ravenloft, I would use that game or Lords of Waterdeep or Dungeon! to Gateway adults into the notion of RPGing even though none of them having anything to do with role-playing it could get folks warmed up to the idea of fantasy gaming in general (so much stigma to deal with for D&D by an uninformed public).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.