Hide
6 Posts

DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Dreadball a Modellers POV rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jinn 75
msg tools
When i first saw Dreadball on kickstarter i tot "hmmmmm... another blood bowl clone. Ignore... plus it's by Mantic... substandard minis..."

Recently they released their Void Sirens and I thought hmm... i could buy them for the amazon team which i have been wanting to do... but they're Sci-fi.... LEts check out Dreadball on Boardgamegeeks... WTF 8.07???

Browsed the net got the gist of the game watched the video and bought the game... Im in the midst of cleaning my models after the first game of Dreadball and here's my POV of the game.

GAMEPLAY

Like most people who have tried the game i really is different from Blood bowl. For me Dreadball is faster easier to learn and more fluid. I generally dislike exploding dice but it seems to work fine here (makes it all that much more bloodier devil )

Our first play with the cheat sheet took us one hour. Which was amazingly fast. Considering we had to check some rules, etc. So that was great.

Verdict: Dreadball
Score: Dreadball 1 Bloodbowl 0

LEAGUE

So far only 4 teams 4 more soon. Advancement for team look interesting but compared to Blood bowl lacks the depth of a team growing in a variety of directions. And less teams to play with now... looking at their kickstarter it proves to be an interesting future for Dreadball.

Verdict: Tie
Score: Dreadball 1 Bloodbowl 0

COMPONENTS

The one thing which made me go hmmm.. was when i opened the box. If ur expecting super dungeon explore forget it. A tiny packet of minis. And Mantic models do not surprise me. Substandard plastic which does not capture the details. Difficult to work with as it is difficult to scrape. Minis look like those from a board game (which it is). They do not even provide a base (which they did in the kickstarter). Overall as a modeller very very disappointing.

Verdict: Bloodbowl
Score: Dreadball 1 Bloodbowl 1

A Tie!!! Sudden Death....
Dreadball
Pros:
Small board (good for playing anywhere unlike Bloodbowl)
Normal Dice (Cheap and easily obtainable)
Its Living Game!!!

And the victory goes to Dreadball!!!!!

In all honesty go for the game its fun fast and easy to learn and teach. Forget the minis go source for other manufacturers (which is what im gonna do whistle )

Thanks for Reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very surprised that the bases didn't come with all the copies of the game. The copy I got from the shop must have been supplied from Kickstarter.

Agree with pretty much everything above however I found the minis fine. Like the title says, from a "Modellers POV", I understand were your coming from. However from a game vs game comparison I rate Dreadball above Bloodbowl with regards to the boxed minis. Personally I dislike the Bloodbowl ones and they are nowhere near as good as Games Workshops new plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I believe the retail boxes should have had bases. Us Kickstarters had to buy bases for our extra teams which are also included in the retail boxes for the teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Teams:

Dreadball:
I can buy 4 teams right now with another 4 due in the next few week all under $20 online.

Bloodbowl:
What are the teams up to now $50-60 for comparable teams!!

Dreadball scores again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jinn 75
msg tools
That is soooo true soblue GW models are so much more expensive.
but as a modeller i rather have better looking models.

If not it would just be another boardgame (which it is i know). And that is the part that confuses me. What is Mantic? A Cheap alternative to GW?

I feel the strength of GW products is the fluff. The building of the team is as fun if not more fun than playing the game (for me at least). This makes it more than just a token piece of plastic. It is the rookie blitzer "Von Fleet of the House Fleet (or whatever silly cheesy corny name u wish )

And that to me is the fun part.

Score one more for Bloodbowl (for me at least).

P.S. had another game of Dreadball tonight and honestly it was AWWWWEEESOMMMEEEEE!!!! Trying to paint the models now.... SIGHHHHHH!!!!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The models really are not that bad. Mine painted up great and I had had a blast painting the MVPs.

And yes the rules are sweet. The ease of use of the rules is outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.