Hide
18 Posts

Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition» Forums » General

Subject: One problem I ran into rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack McRipper
msg tools
I find it hard to get a game of werewolf moving along when 20+ people just will not ever shut up at night time. I don't just mean the occasional comment here and there, I mean full on conversations, plural, going on so I can't even wake up night roles and figure out what's going on.

I started killing off people for talking at night time, the players got pissed at me. Is there anything else I CAN do at that point? I'm not even kidding, 15 people wasn't bad the other times, but several more added and made a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
play Pit instead? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have one of the talkers moderate!

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McRipper
msg tools
Had other people moderate, it wasn't the "talkers" though. once it was back down 15 and lower it was easier to move along again. I guess I could split it into two games in separate rooms. I was hoping to get some input with people who've run games that large. =/

I was hoping to get to use some of the expansion cards, but if I'm pulling hairs to get the werewolves awake and focused, I don't want to run through sorcerer, bodyguard, vampires, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Two Rooms and a Boom instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right... I think mod killing people that talk at night is perfectly acceptable. If people don't want to follow the rules of the game, then they shouldn't be playing. Would they think breaking rules of other games you play with them are acceptable?

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McRipper
msg tools
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. I had one of them go "you should let more role playing happen" dude, werewolf isn't a role playing game, it's a bluffing game. You're accusing and reading lies, not trying to be a local elf in town who raises cattle looking to avenge his dead mother in hopes of reaching level 20 before the last wolf is slain.

I'm really just thinking this game is past them. Two Rooms and a Boom did sound like a lot of fun though. That'd be more talking from the sounds of it. I just have to sit with a timer. I'm not sure though, I've never played it. How do you determine who changes rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Myth wrote:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. I had one of them go "you should let more role playing happen" dude, werewolf isn't a role playing game, it's a bluffing game. You're accusing and reading lies, not trying to be a local elf in town who raises cattle looking to avenge his dead mother in hopes of reaching level 20 before the last wolf is slain.

I'm really just thinking this game is past them. Two Rooms and a Boom did sound like a lot of fun though. That'd be more talking from the sounds of it. I just have to sit with a timer. I'm not sure though, I've never played it. How do you determine who changes rooms?
Well, the game is moderator-less, so you can play with your friends...you don't just need to be a timekeeper!

The game is really simple. Divide up the group into two rooms (randomly) and deal out cards to each player. This assigns players onto the Blue Team or the Red Team. One Blue is dealt the President role, and one Red is dealt the Bomber role. The Bomber and his team want to blow up the Prez. The Prez and his team want to keep their leader alive.

When Round 1 (R1) starts, no one knows anything about anyone. They can "co-reveal" with other players, however, to find out roles. This involes temporarily swapping cards with someone else and looking at their role. Eventually, players will need to elect a leader for their room. You do this in a Werewolf-style vote, basically. Point at who you want to be Leader (can be yourself) and the person getting a majority of people pointing at them is the leader. That leader is then the person who selects which players will be transferred into the other room.

You play for 3 (or 5) rounds. At the end of the last round, if the Bomber is in the same room as the President, Red wins, otherwise, Blue wins. And that's it! Very easy, and there's no night phase. People can talk all they want.

The game can get VERY complicated by adding in some of the 50 or so roles the game offers, but you can also just play it really simple like I described.

It's great! Takes 6 or 15 minutes at most, and it's a high energy game since you're moving around between the two rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

The game is really simple. Divide up the group into two rooms (randomly) and deal out cards to each player.

So you will have red/blue players mixed in each room to start? Or, do you start with red in one room and blue in another?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just yell SILENCE!!!!!!!!!!! At the top of my lungs and that works just fine.

But I also have to say that I am such a badass moderator that my players hang on my every word.
Half the fun of werewolf at my house is to sit back and watch the "Mike show".
If you can crank up your energy as the moderator, you will get their attention. Instead of asking people to be quiet, go over in moderator character and pull them back in. A little flair goes a long way.

My players also tend to get all their out of game conversation out of the way before we start. I find my friends are very serious players. They are almost all actors and gaming enthusiasts and they themselves tolerate no distraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

The game is really simple. Divide up the group into two rooms (randomly) and deal out cards to each player.

So you will have red/blue players mixed in each room to start? Or, do you start with red in one room and blue in another?

BOb
Mixed. You randomly assign rooms then randomly deal roles.

We play PBF here on BGG, come join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McRipper
msg tools
MajaiofDreams wrote:

But I also have to say that I am such a badass moderator that my players hang on my every word.
If you can crank up your energy as the moderator, you will get their attention. Instead of asking people to be quiet, go over in moderator character and pull them back in. A little flair goes a long way.

My players also tend to get all their out of game conversation out of the way before we start. I find my friends are very serious players. They are almost all actors and gaming enthusiasts and they themselves tolerate no distraction.

Yeah, I have a mixture. Yelling helped early on, and they didn't mind it. This time though they were pissed when I yelled and even more when I started kicking them for getting in the way of the game.

I know the point of the game is to have fun, but no one was required to play (a few and sometimes several people sat out and talked in the next room over) so it made no sense for them to want to play, just to not play when they were included. I don't know, it was irritating to say the least. I try joking it off because I don't want them to only see me as some angry person but as soon I would crack a small joke about them being my troubled children or rebellious villagers they'd pick up at exactly where I needed them to stop talking cancelling out my initial "STFU" moment lol.

Two rooms and a boom, definitely looking into that. If people want Werewolf from now on (I mean, they were requesting werewolf to be fair) the yappity ones will be modding, not me lol. Maybe then they'll understand why you want the night time to be over quickly so that everyone can be included again rather than waiting minutes before they shut up and the wolves can finally wake and pick their target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Myth wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

This time though they were pissed when I yelled and even more when I started kicking them for getting in the way of the game.

googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the game fun enough (THEIR sort of fun) that they want to play it seriously. If you cannot, find people that have fun playing the sort of game you want...or weed out those that don't.

Offer a prize, but make it conditional on the rules being followed the entire time.

Learn crowd control (not from me, I barely know it myself).

Let them talk during the day. Sometimes mods talk so much that players can't get ample convo in during the day phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like people just weren't that into it...but you had 30+ people right? Maybe try two games of 15 instead next tune, and dead people can play Resistance with each other while waiting.

Split up the talkers, in any case. Or play a game that is immune to that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McRipper
msg tools
The funny part is they claim they love the game. I'm legitimately confused. Granted, it's a fraction of them, but still.

I had a little over 20 people at the most. When it was down 15 we didn't have the problem, even though those who did the talking were still playing. It sort of died down to comments rather than full on conversations at night time. I try telling them not to, but I can only do so much yelling before I give up. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Myth wrote:
but I can only do so much yelling before I give up. lol

Try the opposite of yelling. Don't do ANYTHING at night while people are talking. Eventually, they will catch on... or if someone says something like, who's supposed to be awake now... you could say "I can't run the night phase while people are talking."

I expect they will get sick of sitting there with their eyes closed and will shut up.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McRipper
msg tools
pilotbob wrote:
Mr Myth wrote:
but I can only do so much yelling before I give up. lol

Try the opposite of yelling. Don't do ANYTHING at night while people are talking. Eventually, they will catch on... or if someone says something like, who's supposed to be awake now... you could say "I can't run the night phase while people are talking."

I expect they will get sick of sitting there with their eyes closed and will shut up.

BOb
Hahaha. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.