9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Never Played a Role-playing board game (2player) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurtis and Amber
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello all. My girlfriend and I are interested in starting an role playing board game and have never played one before. It will only be the two of us, so does anyone have any recommendations for a good starter? Preferably a fantasy and/or horror themed one? It doesn't matter how long it takes to play one game, as long as we are able to leave the board and pick it back up later.

Thanks for any suggestions!arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I enjoy Arkham Horror as well. She also really likes Runebound and Return of the Heroes. Runebound has plenty of expansions to change things up a bit, while Return of the Heroes has one expansion, but a modular board to vary the game. Of the two Return of the Heroes is lighter and a lot more atmospheric due to the map tile artwork, but is also a bit more generic, while Runebound is deeper and gives you more items and such for your character, but has an overworld type map that's kind of boring in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend:

Descent: Journeys In The Dark (Fantasy)
Doom (Sci-Fi/Horror)
When Darkness Comes... (Horror)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Before you invest in the kind of $$ it would take to get Runebound or Descent, I'd recommend you get one of the Dungeoneer games...they can be bought for less than $15 mail order, and even with shipping, shouldn't run you more than $20.

Dungeoneer is card based, there's no board. You lay the dungeon out as you go. The game is easy to play, quick to set up, and easy to put away. I have Descent and Runebound; while they're very nice games, they take some time to set up, play, and tear down...especially Descent. I finally just bit the bullet and stored all my Descent bits in the same kind of plastic container that I use for my Advanced Squad Leader stuff...there's that much of it.

You could easily do a game of dungeoneer in an hour, and there's no way you'd be able to do that with Runebound or Descent...they take a much more serious time commitment. From start to finish, 2 to 3 hours for a game (and I've heard of much longer games).

All of these games do pretty much the same thing...so Dungeoneer will give you a taste for that style of game...if you like it, you can buy more Dungeoneer, or branch out with some of the other games. If you don't like it, you're only out $20, and you wont' be tripping over a big box hehe.

Having played the 3, I'd heartily recommend Dungeoneer to someone who's never played that style of game before, over either Runebound or Descent.

The Dungeoneer rules make combat sound more difficult than it is; if you decide to get it, there are some answers here at BGG for the most common questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was thinking about this also. How does Dungeon Twister stack up to these? I was also looking at Dungeoneer, but a lot of complaints about the clarity of the rules made me think that it'd really put off my wife.

Thanks,
Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister is much more of a strategy game than an rpg boardgame. The fantasy theming is well done but the emphasis is more on the strategic decision-making involved rather than the role-playing. It is one heck of a great game, though, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneoldgamer wrote:
Dungeon Twister is much more of a strategy game than an rpg boardgame. The fantasy theming is well done but the emphasis is more on the strategic decision-making involved rather than the role-playing. It is one heck of a great game, though, imho.

Agreed, Dungeon Twister is more like Chess than real RPG. Good game, but not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Which Dungeoneer is a good starting point for two players? Are some more complex than others, or is it more which cover art you like more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Which Dungeoneer is a good starting point for two players? Are some more complex than others, or is it more which cover art you like more?

Probably best to start with the original, Tomb of the Lich Lord - the cards are a little more straightforward and the quests, monsters etc a little easier.

But depends what sort of experience you want, if you like the idea of exploring a dungeon then Tomb is great, if you'd rather wander around outdoors pick a wilderness set.

They all use pretty much the same rules, just add a few bits.

Definitely worth getting the 2.1 version of the rules (much clearer) and also check out the Atlas website for examples etc
http://www.atlas-games.com/dungeoneer/

or www.dungeoneer.net where there's other stuff including v2.2 rules too.

If you're worried about price go for one of the 1 deck sets, they're playable with 2 (although the map is quite small, only 10 cards IIRC), if you like it then get one of the 2 deck sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.