Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a few suggestions and/or reinforcement for a good multiplayer game that plays well with two to play more often than not with just my wife. We both love Tikal, and of course I'm leaning heavily toward the other two games in the "trilogy", Mexica and Java. The ideal game is one that is great with 3-4 players (for those occasions when we have more) but is also enjoyable as a 2-player game, which will be the majority of plays.

My only concern with Java is the downtime - this is not a problem at all in 2-player Tikal, but I don't want to have to plan for 2-3 hours to play Java if the downtime is that much worse. We are not prone to analysis paralysis, but then we've never played Java.

Mexica looks like another great one, but I'm somewhat less certain that this would be good for 2 players. It seems like I've seen more negative comments about this as a 2-player game than I have for Java, to the point that some recommend not playing it as a 2-player game.

I'm open to any other suggestions. We already own Torres and my opinion of it is still somewhat mixed - it seems a bit too abstract, perhaps. Tikal's theming seems to make it much richer and more enjoyable. Other multis we enjoy playing 2-player are Samurai, Through The Desert, and Ticket to Ride. Other games I've considered are Hansa (know very little about it), Magna Grecia (ditto) and Tigris and Euphrates (played once and wasn't really wowed). Any other ideas, or should I stick with Java/Mexica?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Java! It is a deeper than Tikal, chess-like in strategy, puzzle-like quality of building terraces, and the most gorgeous boardgame ever. Excellent for 2 players or more. Learning this game is as complex as learning Tikal - not very. Because of the level of depth, it may require players to take a little longer to move. 2-players games average 1.5 hrs. Also, my favorite game.

Mexica is simplest of the series. I would not recommend it for two players. Good for 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I find Mexica works fine with two players and is not really any different than with 3 or 4. However we sold Java because the down time was too long even with 2 and it seemed too much like a tactical puzzle every turn. I rate Mexica much higher than Tikal.
Hansa is good with 2. We sold our Euphrat & Tigris as it always seemed to us to be a really frustrating and flawed game. Magna Grecia works okay with all numbers though it is quite dry in play and the board can feel a bit too empty with just 2 (but it does work with 2). It is a good 'meaty' game which has strategy and not too much down time.
Capitol, Wildlife or Lowenherz may all be worth you looking at as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Java. I find that, if anything, the games are shorter than for Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play two player Mexica all the time. We also play a fair bit with three players. Two works well, but tends to make the game much more tense as you focus completely on each other, where as a three player game you mount a more general defense of your districts without too much focus on any one player.

Blue Moon is another excellent two player game that sees a lot of table time here. I bought it on clearance because I wasn't sure about it despite the great reviews, and now own all the decks. It's definitely one of the top five most played games in my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 2-player Java is not lengthy. 2 hrs for first game if both players are new. Probably 90 minute thereafter.

Have you looked at Torres? Same sort of idea as the trilogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favorite multiplayers that play well with two are: La Citta and Reef Encounter. Unfortunately Citta is out of print, but copies can still be found. RE has, of course just been re-released by Zman Games. Both are very attractive and accessible to new or casual players, but offer great depth to dedicated gamers as well.
Other options: San Juan, Keythedral, Wallenstein (and, I presume, its upcoming re-themed reprint!) and Ra.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boudreaux00 wrote:
My only concern with Java is the downtime - this is not a problem at all in 2-player Tikal, but I don't want to have to plan for 2-3 hours to play Java if the downtime is that much worse. We are not prone to analysis paralysis, but then we've never played Java.

You didn't have a problem with Tikal, so there's no reason to worry you will with Java. Personally, I found Tikal to inspire more scheming than Java, but they are both fine games.

AP isn't contagious, and it isn't caused by games themselves. You either are that way, or you aren't.

Hansa is a cool lightweight game, we enjoy it. Magna Grecia on the other hand was very, very dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just on a tangent. AP has some relation to what game you are playing. AP during a Snakes and Ladders game is unlikely, for example...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
Go with Java. I find that, if anything, the games are shorter than for Tikal.

Yes! Java is one of my favorite 2P games. It also plays well with more, but from the kramer series, Java with 2 shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote for Goa. It has about the same depth as Tikal and works surprisingly well with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't know if folks are doing this with Mexica, but it plays much better with 2 people when you play with a neutral color on the board, which can steal points from you and forces you to build more than you would need to in a 2 player only game.

I also recommend Samurai and Attika for 2. I think they play well. We have also liked playing Hive, which plays much quicker than these others but is also very chess-like in play.

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NickB wrote:
Don't know if folks are doing this with Mexica, but it plays much better with 2 people when you play with a neutral color on the board, which can steal points from you and forces you to build more than you would need to in a 2 player only game.

Is this an official variant or one that has been posted here, or a variant you implemented yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can be found here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/15232 (translated from German).

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Cumference
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/luding/reviews/e2p/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Tikal but after another LONG 3 player game, I think I like it best with 2 as the AP is way less to none in comparison, keep that in mind for JAVA, I'll bet it is the same.

For something different I highly recommend RA. In 3 days we have played 6 games, 4 with just the wife and I, this is a must in every collection if you don't HATE auctions.

I also really like Samurai, plays great with 2 and better with 3 IMO.

GOA, after months of research, is my most wanted game and I have a huge list, being able to play with 2 is a big requirement for us and I lean more towards meatier games as well. Happy hunting. JJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just played a game of 2-player Hacienda and thought it worked very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.