Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Grgich
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mates and I gave Kemet a taste of our game table this past Saturday night. We played a 5-player game. We utilized the excellent player aids and FAQ found here at the 'Geek. Our group enjoys confrontational games and since this game is all about confrontation, we had a blast.

A word of mild warning - the first few plays are going to be a slog. Learning the abilities that the various power tiles and divine intervention cards afford you is going to take a good deal of time. Early favorites are 'Hand of God' and 'Carnage!'.

One very minor nitpick is battle resolution. Kemet uses a card-based system of combat. Minor strategy can be employed in timing attacks based on observing what cards the defender has used up. I prefer dice combat as I'm a gambler at heart. However, this is a very minor quibble and not one that will cause me to turn down playing the game.

Fans of co-op or peaceful games where combat is not the thrust of the action will likely find Kemet to be unpalatable. The rules are pretty straightforward but will take a little while to teach. Make sure to put aside an extra 10-15 minutes for the training. Setup and takedown is also a process (36 tiles! Holy canoli!) but worth the investment.

Can't wait to play again - - - this is definitely the mark of quality for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that finding out new combininations with those tiles is one of the best things about it whistle. But yeah, the combat feels like the slowest part of the game - which is kinda weird and unusual .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twyker wrote:
I feel that finding out new combininations with those tiles is one of the best things about it whistle. But yeah, the combat feels like the slowest part of the game - which is kinda weird and unusual .

You pick a card to play and one to discard. You put your card down then you turn the cards over. Add up any bonus's and see who wins.

Any quicker than that and you'd be playing Risk...

I love this game too. I love all the combos you can make from the different tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen players take a while deciding which cards to use. There's less thinking (and quicker play) rolling dice. But I like having the choices, even when I have to sigh loudly while waiting too long for my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
dgrgich wrote:
Setup and takedown is also a process (36 tiles! Holy canoli!)

That should be 48 tiles, and every one of them a beauty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Grgich
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
48 tiles indeed - - - my mistake. I have been thinking about this game in my spare processing cycles for a few days now. Looking forward to trying a three person game to see if things are still groovy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.